Hacking No Backup Loaders Working at all

Keezie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done some extensive searching and I haven't found a definitive answer for this

I've installed USB loaders on many Wiis. i've always used the simplistic softmod guide on this site with no issues at all. i went through the motions like normal on this particular Wii and I'm having no luck with USB Loader GX nor Configurable USB Loader.

4.3 Wii, modded with Indiana Pwns hack
I have the newest versions of both loaders
I've tried the wads and dol files
I have tried ios 249 rev 20 with 56 as the base and with 57
I have tried 2 different external drives. neither work on this Wii, but both work on another Wii
The drives have 3 partitions. WBFS (for games), NTFS (for media), and FAT32 (for homebrew apps). This setup has never failed me
If it matters, I can't get games to launch via NeoGamma either
I've reinstalled the legit system update via the settings and restarted from the beginning - twice (although neither time removed the HBC?)

CFG loader freezes during the splash startup screen
USB Loader GX shows no games, no menu buttons, and no Wiimote buttons work (although the cursor does)

I have to power down completely to get out of it

I'm sure there's something that's gone wrong, i just need a more experienced user to point me in the right direction. any help is appreciated

thanks!

EDIT:
New things i've tried:
cios 249 rev 17 base 56, 57 and 38
cios 249 and 250 rev 21 with base 56 and 57
a third external drive with one WBFS partition
reverted Wii back to sys menu 4.1
different settings in CFG Loader - load with 250, make sure WBFS is selected in config, etc
installed many other cios per another guide i found (9, 11, 16, 20, 30, 36, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 202(60), 222(38), 223(37-38), 224(57), 247(37), 248(56))

NoBot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I once had a similar problem with a friend's Wii. After some fiddling around I found out that Wii's USB ports were broken. Did you get any USB access with any application? You could try ftpii, WiiXplorer and MPlayer-CE's USB analyzer. (Some of those might require a cIOS in slot 202.) If you can't even get USB to work in a retail game with official hardware you probably have to exchange (or repair) the motherboard.

The_Legend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am experiencing the very same problem. It is not being recognized by FTPii, but is working just fine with MPlayer-CE. Maybe it is not working with FTPii because the driver is NTFS formatted, not sure.

When I plug it on the Wii after I load Cfg USB Loader, it doesn't get recognized (the hdd's led blinks and than turns off). If I plug it in before running Cfg USB Loader, it "freezes": the screen stays on the "title screen", but the hdd's led blinks three tims, stops blinking, then blink again, and so on.

On uLoader, I get an "Could not initialize USB subsystem" error, and then a "USB Device Disconnected".

On both cases I'm using port0 to connect the usb hdd.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The_Legend said:
I am experiencing the very same problem. It is not being recognized by FTPii, but is working just fine with MPlayer-CE. Maybe it is not working with FTPii because the driver is NTFS formatted, not sure.

When I plug it on the Wii after I load Cfg USB Loader, it doesn't get recognized (the hdd's led blinks and than turns off). If I plug it in before running Cfg USB Loader, it "freezes": the screen stays on the "title screen", but the hdd's led blinks three tims, stops blinking, then blink again, and so on.

On uLoader, I get an "Could not initialize USB subsystem" error, and then a "USB Device Disconnected".

On both cases I'm using port0 to connect the usb hdd.

i use cfg with ntfs it is work

The_Legend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here is the USB Test log:

USB2 device test program. v1.1
------------------------------
usbstorage init
status1: 0x1803
status2: 0x1101
port reseted status(0): 0x1803
port reseted status(1): 0x1803
port reseted status(2): 0x1803
port reseted status(3): 0x1803
PORT_PE, release USB11 status: 0x3002

Maybe it can help find my problem...

Keezie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who replied

i tried using an NTFS formatted drive with CFG and USBLoaderGX and i'm still experiencing the same issues

I'm pretty sure the USB port is still functional considering all of the homebrew applications that i'm loading are through the same exact USB drive

Is there anyone out there that has beat this issue?

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone insist on putting multiple partitions on a drive?
You can use 1 partition, the safest, FAT32 for the entire drive, and guess what? ALL of your media, Wii games, etc.. is seen by Windows and the Wii.
Just use Wii Backup Manager to transfer the Wii games to the drive (will automatically create a wbfs folder for you and automatically put the games there, and automatically split wii games over 4GB in size)
Also, Configurable USB Loader works the best for wii games.
WBFS formatting is so unstable, if a single game is corrupt, your entire drive is corrupted.
Use FAT32 GUI Formatter when formatting or Easeus partition manager.
Hey, you can get all of this just by running Modmii also......

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i ran into this problem modding a wii this past wii. i had used modmii, same method i always use. used easeus to reformat the hard drive from ntfs to fat32. after crossing all the "T"and dotting all the "i"'s as it were, i to found myself in a situation like this one. hbc worked wiimc worked, all four emulators worked running off of the fat32 harddrive but not cfg.

well cut to the chase i had to install ciosx v21 then after that install hermes 222 v5.1 and 223 v5.1 granted i could have stopped there but i also installed 202 and 224. all using the recommended base ios respectively. and yes the order in which i installed ciosx and then hermes mattered. i had tried the reverse and still had not fix the issue.

my result although not optimal was effective in getting cfg to recognize the fat32 hdd 90% of the time.
so in conclusion.(note: all installed using ios 236)
step 1 install ciosx rev21 using the latest cios installer
step 2 install all hermes cios starting from top to bottom (there are four in the installer) using cios 222 installer v5
step 3 use the latest cfgloader base 249
results for me were choppy playback cinematic clips, but all game play is normal.

Keezie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
Why does everyone insist on putting multiple partitions on a drive?
You can use 1 partition, the safest, FAT32 for the entire drive, and guess what? ALL of your media, Wii games, etc.. is seen by Windows and the Wii.
Just use Wii Backup Manager to transfer the Wii games to the drive (will automatically create a wbfs folder for you and automatically put the games there, and automatically split wii games over 4GB in size)
Also, Configurable USB Loader works the best for wii games.
WBFS formatting is so unstable, if a single game is corrupt, your entire drive is corrupted.
Use FAT32 GUI Formatter when formatting or Easeus partition manager.
Hey, you can get all of this just by running Modmii also......
thank you very much. i always use the complete softmod guide, and i already have all of the necessary files downloaded, so i don't usually stray from that. but per your recommendation i've downloaded ModMii and messed with it and i'm loving it! i was unaware i could format anything larger than 32GB as FAT32 since i normally just use Windows Drive Manager, so that's why i do the partitions. Now that i'm hip to ModMii, i'll never partition another Wii drive again!

and thanks for the tips transam, i'm going to try your suggestion next

Keezie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
i ran into this problem modding a wii this past wii. i had used modmii, same method i always use. used easeus to reformat the hard drive from ntfs to fat32. after crossing all the "T"and dotting all the "i"'s as it were, i to found myself in a situation like this one. hbc worked wiimc worked, all four emulators worked running off of the fat32 harddrive but not cfg.

well cut to the chase i had to install ciosx v21 then after that install hermes 222 v5.1 and 223 v5.1 granted i could have stopped there but i also installed 202 and 224. all using the recommended base ios respectively. and yes the order in which i installed ciosx and then hermes mattered. i had tried the reverse and still had not fix the issue.

my result although not optimal was effective in getting cfg to recognize the fat32 hdd 90% of the time.
so in conclusion.(note: all installed using ios 236)
step 1 install ciosx rev21 using the latest cios installer
step 2 install all hermes cios starting from top to bottom (there are four in the installer) using cios 222 installer v5
step 3 use the latest cfgloader base 249
results for me were choppy playback cinematic clips, but all game play is normal.
okay i tried your suggestion and didn't have any luck

BUT, when you say install ciosx rev21 using the installer, which ios'es are you installing? i installed 249[56] and 250[57], but didn't install any others. what other ones would you recommend?

i also installed the hermos cios' per your recommendation (in order, with recommended bases):
using ios 236
202[57]
222[38]
223[38]
224[57]

then tried the newest CFG v64, base 249

any steps i'm missing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Also this song https://youtu.be/27RWx9Q6LcQ?si=c7C8YuRoIPHadiQ0