The Incredible Sulk
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really cannot believe this. Nintendo is going to sucker you all in again, and being the consumer whores you are all (Sorry, its true, who will be the first to get one?!!?! WHO CARES) you will all flock to buy a new 3ds, when lets be honest, this thing will just be another gimmick system.

I warned you all that the DSI was the same thing, but nay, you all thought it would be the next coming, and yet I ask, what has been so great about the DSI? What greatness that camera has achieved! And not to mention card slot! Amazingly, I have experienced all the great aspects of the DS without owning a DSI, why you ask is that? No major game company will release a full huge hit game DSI only, or they cut out more than half of their consumer base. The DSI is a gimmick just as the 3ds will be. Do you ever think there will be a zelda, pokemon, etc DSI exclusive? Hah. Utter ignorance. Every major DS title will be compatible on all DS systems, it would be bad business otherwise.

The 3DS will be no different, they would need to overhaul the DS so drastically that, it would (and the only way the 3ds could be decent) be a whole new system. Now while I agree that portables are great for 3d, as its a single person experience and can really provide an immersed experience, Nintendo will fail at it, and provide another game system with a gimmick, and unless some wholly amazing game is released in 3d when the system launches, the 3d will fall into the gimmick graveyard with the cameras, and printers, and card scanners. Not to mention the price point of a 3d handheld has to be pretty high, and thus sacrifices one of the major advantages the DS has, as it is cheaper than the PSP.

What will we ultimately see when the 3ds comes out? We'll get a handheld, probably with a good set of titles, where the 3d is hardly used, or if it is, it will be half assed. Cheesy 3-d cart racing, 900,9876 JRPGS that have some half assed 3d effects.

Nintendo has never panned out on anything for the DS/DSI except a solid library of games. Lets look at some of the features.

Wi-fi- Not nearly used as often or as robustly as it could be.
Camera- When was the last time you actually used it?
SD slot- Don't even know why they put it in there.
The DSI XL- I am not sure why this entire system was made

I use the alarm clock function on my DS more than anything else, atleast they got that right.

Nintendo, is simply following apple's game plan of periodic hardware improvements, so they can extend the life of a product whilst driving sales, sadly atleast apple does improve on their products, smaller, more storage, touch screen, bigger screen etc. all Nintendo has been doing is adding gimmick to the last actual improvement of the DS which was the DS lite, the DS lite made sense. The rest of this bull like the DSI, DSI XL, and eventually the 3ds are there to do one thing, make more money with as little effort on nintendo's part as possible. If that weren't the case, Wi-fi would be more solid, you'd have a reason to use that camera, and there would be really deep solid games to DL for the DSI.

I can't wait for you all to buy this when it comes out, and then kick yourselves in the ass when you realize you just bought another more expensive DS to end up playing the same games that every one else is playing on their DS 's and DS lites.

Nintendo has you all eating out of their hand, disgusting. Open your eyes, or we'll be buying new gimmick DS's for the next 5 years.

Moots.

You've been warned.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean like the DS lite/phat and the Wii?

Oh, wait a second... Those are fairly good systems.

I really don't see your argument as valid or worthwhile. If you don't like it, don't buy one. You're going to buy one later on anyway, don't deny it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, you can't compare the DSi with the 3DS. The 3DS is a completely new system even though it still has DS in it's name.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sd slot for music pics taking , by the camera i use , wifi is not bad

xl has a better grip , bigger screens

smaller, more storage, touch screen, bigger screen Nintendo has been doing that and add their on stuff like 3d O.o

even if 3d is a gimmick ,it may have power close to the game cube.

edit: yes they would probably slap us with a 3ds2 or something like that , but I'm use to it .
tongue.gif

D

Deleted-247497

wait, you are assuming the 3ds will be the same type of upgrade as the ds to dsi, when i disagree, i think it will be a full upgrade, like with games that aren't compatible with the dsi, i might be wrong, but yeah i think your argument is flawed in that way.

It would be like saying upgrading from a gba to a ds wasn't a worthwhile upgrade and it was just a gimmick.

edit: and how could you say 3d is just a gimmick??? i mean cmon, its without glasses, do you understand that that has pretty much never been done before (yes there are exeptions i know) but seriously dude, 3d without glasses!!!! thats awesome

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tl;dr

The 3DS actually sounds fairly promising, but we will find out for certain soon enough.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
_Chaz_ said:
You mean like the DS lite/phat and the Wii?
>implying the wii is a good system
there are a handful of decent games for it, and thats including the relreleases of Metroid Prime (3 and trilogy)

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
You can't compare DSi to 3DS - DSi is only a new console in old series, while 3DS is completely new console. The only fact that can tie it to DS series is "DS" in it's name, and it will probably disappear after the final name will be announced.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Even as a whole new handheld, no ones loking at the facts. May have the power of the gamecube? The DS could have had that, look at the same generation PSP for graphics.

Nintendo has released 1 excellent system in the past 10 years, and its the DS, gimmick free. Nothing since the Snes has even come close. They all have a few good/awesome titles and the rest are shit.

We shall see. Nintendo has proven their track record of gimmicky-ness all the way back to the virtua boy. But you 12 year olds wouldn't remember that would you

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Moots said:
Even as a whole new handheld, no ones loking at the facts. May have the power of the gamecube? The DS could have had that, look at the same generation PSP for graphics.

Nintendo has released 1 excellent system in the past 10 years, and its the DS, gimmick free. Nothing since the Snes has even come close. They all have a few good/awesome titles and the rest are shit.

We shall see. Nintendo has proven their track record of gimmicky-ness all the way back to the virtua boy. But you 12 year olds wouldn't remember that would you
the virtual boy was an efficient way of getting a headache.
nothing more.
but its library of games were better than the offering of the DSiWare store.

Nintendo better not make the same mistake again.

dreassica

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Antoligy said:
Moots said:

the virtual boy was an efficient way of getting a headache.
nothing more.
but its library of games were better than the offering of the DSiWare store.

Nintendo better not make the same mistake again.

Flipnote studio alone > entire virtual boy games catalogue

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moots said:

Sounds like you're getting upset...

The DS couldn't have had the same power as the Gamecube, it was impossible. As for graphics, Nintendo focuses more on gameplay rather than visuals. It's been that way for a long time.

You're opinions mean absolutely nothing... I rather liked the N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and DS and quite a lot of people feel the same way.

Virtual Boy failed, and while it was a gimmick system, they improved their method of making games and are now quite successful in that area.

Seriously though, why so mad?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Insulting GBAtemp members as a whole? Check!
- Bashing a system with hardly any info on it and that's highly anticipated? Check!
- Bashing big companies with a lot of fanboys like Apple and Nintendo? Check!

Looks like we got a classic case of Trollitus here.

I really don't know about the 3DS and won't really love it or hate it until more info (such as launch titles and hell, even a goddamn picture of the system) is out. Saying it's gonna be a crap system when there's practically no info on it is just plain stupid.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't see what the fuss is about considering the 3DS is supposed to be the true successor and not just a cosmetic revision. Did people complain about the GBA, GBA SP and Game Boy Player prior to the DS's release?

Also, while sometimes I do believe companies make a great product then gimp it to hell for the first release in order to simply bring out improved versions that closely resemble what the product was originally intended to be, it's not as if one really had to go and buy the same system again if they already had the first. Considering every DS developed game on a game card still plays on an old DS (aside from whatever awful DSi exclusive titles there are), the only reason to upgrade would be because the new features are appealing or the previous system was broken/lost/stolen (my case, got a DSi cause my DS Lite was kidnapped by Circuit City's warranty policy right before they blew up).

tl;dr : 3DS sounds neat, Nintendo's never disappointed me on a handheld so I'm in. Hardware revisions okie dokie, can always sell the old one xD.

Hiz_95

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Stop trying to make your opinion look like facvt.
2) 3DS is a new system like with the jump from gba to ds

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Besides the fact that they're aiming this to be a completely new system, you're making it sound like Nintendo is the only company out there making slight changes and releasing a new version of a video game system. How many different PSP systems are out there now, 1000 2000 3000 pspGO? How many different 360 systems with variations in HDs, game bundle exclusives that have the console a certain color (Resident Evil 5 for example), and even the guts of the system changed (jasper, xepher, falcon, etc)? How about all the different PS3s, with different HDs, backwards compatability or not, media card slots or not, otherOS or not, slim or "phat".

Ironically the only current gen system that hasn't done all of these variations is the Wii, which last I checked was still made by Nintendo!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Moots said:
I really cannot believe this. Nintendo is going to sucker you all in again, and being the consumer whores you are all (Sorry, its true, who will be the first to get one?!!?! WHO CARES) you will all flock to buy a new 3ds, when lets be honest, this thing will just be another gimmick system.
So anybody that read this thread is?

Even if they've never owned a nintendo system?

'Cause it's not like you have to in order to read this thread.

Also, you read your own thread.

Klarkykat

Trophies
XP
Country
Moots said:
Nintendo has never panned out on anything for the DS/DSI except a solid library of games. Lets look at some of the features.

Wi-fi- Not nearly used as often or as robustly as it could be.
Camera- When was the last time you actually used it?
SD slot- Don't even know why they put it in there.
The DSI XL- I am not sure why this entire system was made

I use the alarm clock function on my DS more than anything else, atleast they got that right.

I actually think you made some good points there.

I use the alarm clock on it more than anything else (apart from gaming of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither