Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Moots said:
Not to mention the price point of a 3d handheld has to be pretty high, and thus sacrifices one of the major advantages the DS has, as it is cheaper than the PSP.

May have the power of the gamecube? The DS could have had that, look at the same generation PSP for graphics.

Moots.

You've been warned.

Yay, right, you think the DS should have had Gamecube graphics but its big advantage was that it was cheaper than the PSP. See how that would be impossible?

QUOTE(Moots @ Apr 2 2010, 07:09 PM) Nintendo has released 1 excellent system in the past 10 years, and its the DS, gimmick free.

Not sure if I'd call a Handheld Console published in 2004, when Touchscreens were still considered very gimmicky, gimmick free.

Apart from that I can only support what has already been said:

3DS = New console generation not a DS upgrade.
Flaming a Console of which is nearly nothing known = no no.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it extremely laughable that someone like Moots would think the touch screens NOT a gimmick. They are. A good one indeed, but it was a gimmick nonetheless. As for Nintendo making only one truly excellent system during the past 10 years, THAT would be an opinion, nothing else. And you completely invalidated your own by attacking gbatemp members. Your first post is full of nothing but trolling, flame bait, hasty generalizations about gamers, and jumping to conclusions about a system we know only two things about (3D and back compatibility).

As it is, Nintendo never marketed the DSi OR the XL as anything but a DS redesigned revision. Much like the Lite before it, and even the many different versions of the Gameboy (original) and GBA. It was never said anywhere that it was a new system. The 3DS however, IS being marketed as a totally new system. At this time, everything about your argument is invalid. And your topic can easily be deleted or locked for trolling, flaming, and baiting. IF someone would to mark it.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone hating on Nintendo, or ANY entire game company for that matter, is a blithering retard. I was very disappointed with the DSi and lack of camera based gameplay and the warioware:snapped cocktease, however I believe 3DS will not be a repeat of those mistakes. If anything, the DSi was a stepping stone to head-tracking etc, but I believe the DSi was also created to quickly inject downloadable games into their portable to offset iphone game sales. 3DS will OBVIOUSLY not be just another DS model, it is OBVIOUSLY the next gen portable.

At what point can we stop calling touch-screen controls "gimmicky ?" Jesus fist fucking Christ, have you ever played Ninja Gaiden DS ? TWEWY ? Puchi Puchi Virus ? Big Bang Mini ? You couldn't play these classics without touch screen control, so why the hell is it a GIMMICK

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do believe they said that the 3DS will be backward compatible with ds games meaning it will use completely different cart's (or whatever they'll use) and so developers will stop making games for the ds and start with the 3DS just like they did with the big gameboy advance to nds switch.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSi was kind of a test. I think it was an experiment by Nintendo to see if they could introduce some popular new techs in their design. Including cameras, an SD slot, and downloadable games. Anyone who thought it was intended to be a new system and continue to be the primary new handheld for years to come was fooling themselves. Yet, that's no call to throw insults around about something that IS being marketed as a new system. In fact, there's no call at all ever to do that shit...

@BobTheJoeBob

I wouldn't expect DS to die anytime soon. There are still many games in development for it. The GBA lasted a good 3 years after DS first released. I think the DS has a good few years left in it.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"The DSI XL- I am not sure why this entire system was made"

It was made because some of us (I am an example) think smaller thinner and lighter doesn't always means shit.

I wanted bigger damn it and large enough my adult hands aren't a bother. I wanted to be able to see the screen without squinting.

I'm not in a hurry to replace the XL though. Likely wouldn't have gotten it, but a 90 dollar trade in for the DSl was at least convincing.

FencingFoxFTW

Trophies
XP
Country
ObviousTroll.jpg

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can call me a troll if you like, but its enraging that we are getting lower and lower quality entertainment, for higher prices, because this will sadly never stop. Look at Nintendo's track record, its not very convincing. If a company wants me to fork out more money for a newer version of a handheld or a new generation altogether, give me the consumer some reasons to do so. In the last ten years, Nintendo, with the exception of the DS, has made pretty sub par gaming devices. They give me, and classic Nintendo fans no reason to be excited. It won't be geared towards us. Yet we will buy it, and they'll keep doing what they have been doing.

N64- A handful of really solid gems, the rest of the library, shit. Golden Eye still rules though.
GameCube- wow, let down? Another console with a handful of great games and the rest take or leave (Including one of my fav Mar Kar's ever)
Wii- Me and countless others now own a Mario kart machine. (Theres 2-3 other solid games) otherwise shit.

Now while these aren't new consoles, look at the DSI, and XL.- No reason for either of them to exist. And gimmicky to the max. These just like the wii aren't aimed towards us. Its for the petz crowd. Which is just another reason for me to think that the 3ds will be no different. Look at the wii, and why it has done so well, not because of its deep library, its because every kid and their mom want to use "motion controls". The DS has been popular for the same reason, not because of the people who play dungeon crawlers, its because of the petz series fans and their parents.

Their handhelds have faired better, GB/GBC classics. The advance was pretty solid. The DS/Lite are great, my favourite handheld probably, the most played atleast.

The stuff you guys are all excited about are honestly pipe dreams. Gamecube graphics? Why smaller machines are more appealing to families, are cheaper to make, and the "Casual Gamers" don't put as big of an emphasis on graphics. Look at the Wii and DS. 3D FPS!! I hear, when the ones they are releasing on the DS have been no better than average. Smash brothers on the DS, haha dream on, still waiting on Golden Sun myself. The entire system is based on a form of gaming that none of us have yet to try portable 3D gaming.

Nintendo has given me a hundred reasons to be skeptical, and very few to be excited about.

And for the guy who made the GTFO this is GBAtemp.

You don't say, look at my join date. I enjoy my DS, and bought one after hearing about it here. Rook.

I am not trying to state my opinion as fact. I am offering my opinion on this and other Nintendo devices.
You want a fact? Nintendo has forgotten who got them there, gamers don't matter to them now. Kids can get their mom's to spend alot more money.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You seem like you're trolling because you're not providing any valid points. Your first complaint was towards the DSi, which is only a revision such as the Micro or SP to the GBA. The 3DS is supposed to be completely new hardware. Nintendo's track record? Well you can see from the handheld market what kind of quality they have achieved. But for consoles, N64 and GCN had tons of great games(as much as the PS1). Problem with the GCN though, no one bought them and it didn't compare to PS2's library.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's arguable that the N64 had a "small library", i can name a fair amount of games that i personally really like. I can name at least 50 games for the system that I personally really enjoy. There are others i would leave out that i'm sure other people would include. The Gamecube is a really underrated system though, i can attest that there are PLENTY of games for it that are well worth it. Exclusive games too. And there are a ton of other multiplatform games for PS2/GC/Xbox. Funnily, for being such a "third-tier system", it tends to get the superior versions of those multiplatform games. And i certainly wouldn't consider GC a failure. Maybe in comparison, but it had PS2 to go up against, which was released first of the three systems AND had a spectacularly large and great game library. It's one of the best systems ever made (though i'm still giving SNES the top rating there because i love it). It's like comparing a ruby (Gamecube) to a diamond (PS2). Sure, the diamond is more valuable in most cases and you may like it more. But they are both gems and i'm sure you wouldn't turn down either one. I sure wouldn't. That's how i feel anyways.

We weren't calling you a troll for being a skeptic. I myself am never sold on a system when it is first announced. I have never bought a system at launch. I bought the GBA a year after it came out, and the DS about 3 years after it came out. Those systems are actually the first ones i have ever bought as close to their release date as possible. I tend to dislike the full price and i want to wait to make sure a system establishes itself before investing in it. Make sure it doesn't go the way of the Virtual Boy, Jaguar, Sega Saturn, or any other game system.

We were calling you a troll for using hasty generalizations about a system we know NOTHING about (except that it has "3D" and "plays old DS/DSi games too"). That in itself is nothing to go on at all. Lets then couple that with the fact that you called EVERYONE (yes you said every gamer would buy it) a sucker and a consumer whore. And you assume everyone thought the DSi was the new gen handheld. Extremely few people did. It was only marketed as a redesign, never a successor like this one.

So strike 1- pulling retarded assumptions out of your ass. Strike 2- calling this entire website and the entire gaming populace suckers and consumer whores (which IS trolling and flaming). Strike 3- using your opinion that "Nintendo hasn't made a great system in 10 years" as law and trying to say everyone thinks like you. That's why we called you a troll. I respect skepticism, i'm one of the skeptics in regards to ANY system. But i do not respect non-logic arguments, using opinions as universal law, and being called a sucker or consumer whore.

And i know that was long, but if i see a TL:DR out of you, you'd have proven my point.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
tl;dr
ph34r.gif

i kid, gran
i agree with your post entirely, i have never bought a console/handheld on launch but due to finally having a job i plan to stash away a bit of cash and buy the 3ds on launch
tongue.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see it now: People, Lining up at all stores worlwide, hoping to be able to get a 3DS before they get all sold out. xD

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Before accusing Nintendo, why not look at Sony. They're fucking up their customers every year but this is the first case with Nintendo.

seriouslly, Im not complaining at Nintendo because I know there's a worst company on the loose

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
sd slot for music pics taking , by the camera i use , wifi is not bad

xl has a better grip , bigger screens

smaller, more storage, touch screen, bigger screen
Nintendo has been doing that and add their on stuff like 3d O.o

even if 3d is a gimmick ,it may have power close to the game cube.

edit: yes they would probably slap us with a 3ds2 or something like that , but I'm use to it .
tongue.gif

those are not reasons to re-spend about 200 on a brande "new" ds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1