OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WOOT WOOT! ELEMENTARY OS FREYA FTW!!!!! Evolution OS also looks promising :yay:
Oh I should give it a try...
GNU/Linux Debian and GNU/Linux Mint.

Debian is so robust and stable, a strong community.
And Mint is soo full of things and beautifull, without that heavy desktop environment from Ubuntu that I hate!
Linux Mint is Ubuntu without all of his shit :D

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arch. It's an OS I understand pretty well on a fundamental level, it doesn't have bloat of Ubuntu, the outdatedness of all debian based stuff and if it's not in the repo's, it will be in the aur. Amazing stuff.

Reactions: Amadren

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly don't know.
I'm such a person that keeps hopping.
Arch is nice. I've used it for two years. Systemd stuff kills me, though.
Gentoo is nice, but muh compile times on muh shitty computer.
Funtoo is nice, but they fucked up their repo (cant merge libreoffice-bin since it hasn't been kept up to date with gentoo's libreoffice-l10n)
Void is nice, but the community is small and the repo is fucked up.
Manjaro is nice, but if I use something like arch I don't want muh bloat packages (even the netinstall is riddled).
Debian is nice, but I despise their package manager.
FreeBSD is nice, but muh wifi driver support.

Right now I'm on void on my laptop and funtoo on my desktop. I may switch to arch with openrc on my laptop on a sunny day.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread again?

Anyway depends what I am doing.

Server. I do tend to lean towards Debian for this, unless it is something dedicated like FreeNAS,

General desktop use for me. Linux Mint for the most part but anything that supports XFCE I am probably good with, though mainly on top of debian. More generally it is like OSes in general -- if you have firefox, putty, gimp, lyx, libreoffice, scribus, inkscape, a programming notepad and a hex editor and something I can do some electrical and mechanical CAD in then I do not care as I will probably be consulting your documentation (or using the cheat sheet http://xkcd.com/627/ ) to figure out how to do something on the back end anyway.
Usually mint or debian for clients that have linux on their machines (an increasing amount of them).

Security penetration. Obviously it has to be Kali but actually I have not needed such things lately so I am way behind.

Rescue CDs. Usually whatever comes with UBCD and/or Hiren's Boot CD.

Security for online banking and such like. If I absolutely have to then I will do something with SELinux support but for the most part a normal desktop one I lock down hard to do one job and one job only does for most purposes like this.

Lightweight for virtual machine. If puppy linux, something with XFCE or one of the above is not light enough then I do have a thing for openbox based distros.

Media player. Whatever XBMC/Kodi version works well for the installer I have this week.

More generally. I appreciate that some people enjoy arch and arch like things but life is too short for doing it as more than a learning exercise. I try to maintain a familiarity with everything on http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major plus puppy linux.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
In order of preference:
  1. OSX (this is where I find my most productive self, also this is the best OS imho to learn working with keyboard shortcuts)
  2. Fedora (newer packages yet stable enough)
  3. CentOS (excellent as a server)
  4. Ubuntu Server (excellent as a server)
Honorable mentions (in no particular order):
  1. Bodhi (enlightenment is pretty, the default bodhi theme is a bit weird though)
  2. Arch (if only I wasn't braking it that frequently... I am mostly the one to blame though)
  3. Debian Stable (very stable but super-old packages)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How did I miss this thread?
My favourites would have to be Chakra OS, Linux Mint, Mageia, openSUSE, Manjaro, elementary, Bodhi, PCLinuxOS, and Sabayon.
All provide something unique that draw me towards them.
Fedora and LMDE used to be my go-to distros, but recent years have not been so favourable towards the old Fedora and recently LMDE switched to Debian stable and I hate Debian stable.
Nowadays Chakra OS has been my go-to distro and I have been using it as my main for over 2 months now.

Last edited by The Catboy,

loco365

Trophies
XP
On the school computers, Linux Mint is dualbooted with Windows 8, and I really like it. On my laptops, I have one that has a partition of Ubuntu 13.04, and the other one has an external USB 3.0 hard drive that has Ubuntu 15 configured for it. I don't use it all the time, but once I get a desktop I'll probably partition it with Windows and Ubuntu, just to make it easier than having to run it from external.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...