Hacking Nintys new copyright protection (BCA)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Actually I like both the patching method (seem the easier in the longrun) but the 1:1 copy with BCA data shouldn't be a problem. Since the overburn is max some mbs and I have manage to do overburns up to 50mb on a CDR so I can just think of how much I can do on a DVD. Remember that most burners actually work fine with overburn. Very, very, very, few die of overburning.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of like the three methods idea (end of iso, inside "scrubbed" area, on SD), then let anyone who uses a (the?) potentially unsafe method know they will be possibly be twisting in the wind down the line (it works well enough on the 360).

Jaz808

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If a certain game needs to check it then add it to the iso, its needed, the game is no good without it

I dont understand the need to keep things 1-1 if 1-1 doesnt work, wbfs scrubbs the junk, no one is complaing thats not 1-1,
WiiScrubber, BrickBlocker, iso patcher, ppf3/ppf-o-matic all change the iso

BenieUK

Trophies
XP
Country
If we add it to the ISO (in a space not used) isnt Ninty going to be able to check for this in future games...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is what people are worried about BenieUK, I suppose as a sidestep we could use a "random" address and then have it entered into the wii on loading or something although I suppose that is delaying the problem and will ultimately cause headaches for anyone playing support.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
That is what people are worried about BenieUK, I suppose as a sidestep we could use a "random" address and then have it entered into the wii on loading or something although I suppose that is delaying the problem and will ultimately cause headaches for anyone playing support.

If you're going to enter something into the wii, then just tell it the bca, it's only people who want to burn a dvd and have it load through disc channel without softmodding their console that want it in the iso.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Cyan said:
Some other release groups want to include this data inside the iso, on a fixed place (there's a lot of scrubbed place), but nintendo could update its AP and check it's presence at this address and render the fix useless again.
No proper release groups want to include it (almost are complete fsckwits who somehow got access to a couple of sites) - some webwares idiots want to patch the .iso, but as usual they are idiots.

The scene won't accept patched isos, they will just be nuked. I'll be left to idiots on webforums to cobble together patches that will bastardise the iso.

Glad to see the intelligent gbatemp users (mostly the ones that code the loaders) have already seen that external is the only way to do it.

The people arguing hardest for patching the iso with it are people who sell DVD-R's of games - it hurts their business if they have to tell their customers to store files on a sd card. They like it all on the disc so that they can sell and forget.

Personally I'd just overburn if I wanted it on disc - overburning isn't an issue, your drive won't explode if you do.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
done right this isnt a problem
you just need indirection

you select one area x
x must be the same for all games
it does not matter if x contains game data
it must be large enough do save a reference to another area on the disc

for each game you find an empty area y which can save the data of area x and the bca
then you save x + bca to y and addr(y) to x

the mod can now both fix the hole and read the bca

x should be in an area where empty space is expected
as x and y should be as close as possible to avoid detection via timing

edit :

but external + 1:1 is still the right way
you just code an app which does the patching described above

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
George Dawes said:
Cyan said:
Some other release groups want to include this data inside the iso, on a fixed place (there's a lot of scrubbed place), but nintendo could update its AP and check it's presence at this address and render the fix useless again.
No proper release groups want to include it (almost are complete fsckwits who somehow got access to a couple of sites) - some webwares idiots want to patch the .iso, but as usual they are idiots.

The scene won't accept patched isos, they will just be nuked. I'll be left to idiots on webforums to cobble together patches that will bastardise the iso.

Glad to see the intelligent gbatemp users (mostly the ones that code the loaders) have already seen that external is the only way to do it.

The people arguing hardest for patching the iso with it are people who sell DVD-R's of games - it hurts their business if they have to tell their customers to store files on a sd card. They like it all on the disc so that they can sell and forget.

Personally I'd just overburn if I wanted it on disc - overburning isn't an issue, your drive won't explode if you do.

Wow you talk so stupid. you can't overburn to the BCA Area!
for Mod-Chip users they have to patch it in the ISO. Thats it. At all, everyone is doing it and at least in german, french and spanish newsgroups they patch now all isos for flatmii and drivekey users.
Im happy with this and I don't see why this could hurt you

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blacksoul said:
gene0915 said:
ringorinfret said:
pretty interesting read...wasabi team saw it coming!!

Before anyone goes and starts sucking Wasabi's dick, remember that this is one of the many mod chip makers who til this day, have not released a firmware update for any of THEIR chips (TTBOMK) that deals with the protection in NSMB. Good thing people PAID for a product with such wonderful support. I think after the SMG stuff, mod chip makers coasted for a while and saw USB loaders taking off and pretty much gave up. Can't blame 'em, who wants to buy a modchip when a Wii can be fully software hacked and made to play games from a USB drive?

I'm not just giving Wasabi shit, out of all the Wii mod chips floating around out there, which ones were quick with a firmware update for NSMB? I think 1 was but I forget their name?!

You're Wrong, actually they did release 2 different updates (from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3 and then to 1.4) for their first modchip and one for the lastest (the one without soldering things).
Anyway, these updates just add the "update blocker" fonctionnality and improve the modchip codes - for the Wasabi DX it add support to use it like a Wasabi Zero.

Also, i've contacted the wasabi support team by email about the new copy protection include in NSMB Wii. Please take a look :

QUOTE said:
Hello guys,

I'm an old customer of the first Wasabi Modchip (the one, with some LED/3v3/GND issue on some drive - not mine hopefully) and I would like to know if you're planning an update for our/your modchip about the new copy protection introduce in "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" ?
Some of your competitor has already announce it (DriveKey team) and as one of the greatest modchip team I expect you to do the same.

Anyway thanks for your future answer and great work

Kind Regards,
--
Jonathan
Hi, Jonathan !

Concerning the new game protection the only information we have at this time is that our R&D team are working on it and soon as more news coming out, the web site will be updated with all needed informations.

www.wasabi.net.cn

Regards

Sorry, you're wrong. Did you read this COMPLETE sentence I typed: "Before anyone goes and starts sucking Wasabi's dick, remember that this is one of the many mod chip makers who til this day, have not released a firmware update for any of THEIR chips (TTBOMK) that deals with the protection in NSMB."

Yes, they have released various updates for other things but NO UPDATES THAT DEAL WITH THE PROTECTION IN NSMB.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If NeoGamma can deal with WIP files, Geckos with ?? cheat files and both already have a solution in place for NMSB, where are these files for Avatar then (both PAL and NTSC)?

Not in a hurry but just wondering :-)

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kingofsnake said:
Seems avatar is a bad dump and not BCA.

we already know look 2-3 pages before. But hey people are idiots and now everytime a release doesn't work they KNOW it's a BCA check (nba2010 - bad dump, avatar - bad dump).
Here is a secret about the scene, they DON'T test the game before they release them!
Most don't even have a Wii! Just a drive to dump games and as soon something new turns up they strugle cluessless, see SSBB release which was dual-layer, it took many days before a full dvd9 dump turned up cause nobody had the clue to increase the dump size (lol).
And now nsmbw I know from a good source that they had the game for TWO weeks before the scene release and again strugled clueless why it didn't work as a copy.

Anyway about the whole BCA stuff I say, I doubt we will see it soon in other games, this check was custom made in a nintendo game! And it failed bad.
If we still have to add BCA data for each game I think the loaders should handle it, you could add it in some area where the Wii CAN'T read it, I don't know the offset from the top of my head but the Wii limits the
unencrypted Read area to prevent dumping the discs, we could it add it there.

Deeptrap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why has avatar not been nuked then if its a bad dump.
i thought GBatemp was 1 of the quickest to update if a game has been nuked.

and i also does nt see a new release.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Why has avatar not been nuked then if its a bad dump.
i thought GBatemp was 1 of the quickest to update if a game has been nuked.
GBATemp is not a warez site, so there's nothing to update or remove. The only thing we have here is the tools to make use of the warez others release.

Either way, I'm also surprised no one discovered the defective dump earlier. Google for another one.

I believe this is the bad dump: James.Camerons.Avatar.The.Game.PAL.Wii-GLoBAL so don't download that one. Googling for "avatar wii torrent" finds quite a few. ESPALWii, ALMoST, and quite a few others.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
taktularCBo said:
Wow you talk so stupid. you can't overburn to the BCA Area!
What on earth are you talking about? The BCA area doesn't even exist on a DVD-R - of course you can't overburn to it.

Now who's talking stupid? Nobody is interested in idiotic ideas of the scene releasing patched isos - it won't happen. I've no doubt some idiots will choose to do so and spread their raped releases around. Those of us with sense will just ignore them

techboy said:
GBATemp is not a warez site, so there's nothing to update or remove.
gbatemp is a scene release list site - when a release is nuked it is updated in the listing (with an XXXX prefix, instead of that lame numbering system).

The only thing we have here is the tools to make use of the warez others release.
tools and a scene release list that includes a releases status, as the first person said.

blacksoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gene0915 said:
Sorry, you're wrong. Did you read this COMPLETE sentence I typed: "Before anyone goes and starts sucking Wasabi's dick, remember that this is one of the many mod chip makers who til this day, have not released a firmware update for any of THEIR chips (TTBOMK) that deals with the protection in NSMB."

Yes, they have released various updates for other things but NO UPDATES THAT DEAL WITH THE PROTECTION IN NSMB.

You're right, haven't correctly read your sentence. This is my complete mistake.

Anyway, I think they're not gonna leave all their old costumer... an update will come, lets just hope it doesn't take too much time.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
lafleche said:
If NeoGamma can deal with WIP files, Geckos with ?? cheat files and both already have a solution in place for NMSB, where are these files for Avatar then (both PAL and NTSC)?

Not in a hurry but just wondering :-)

what's a wip file?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/40XQ8L9wsCA?si=GzpPBaHQQLU0plt_ Neat