Hacking Nintendont

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
About the controllers. Couldn't crediar ask tueidj how to make classic controller and wii u pro controller work for it? I mean since the PS3 controller sucks for gamecube games.
Yes he could, but tueidj does not like working with other devs and does not like sharing sources.
It´s sad, but we have to accept it.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Crediar should atleast try to get classic controller support, if only for the sake of using a gcn to wiimote adapter.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I think Crediar should atleast try to get classic controller support, if only for the sake of using a gcn to wiimote adapter.
Even tueidj mentioned that he had to use someone else's code (with permission) for the bluetooth stack for wireless controllers. It's not an easy task.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After reading this
tueidj said:
The classic controller pro functions the same as the original classic controller except it doesn't have analog L and R triggers.
Both of them have the same terrible stick sensitivity - the L stick ranges from 0 to 63 and the R stick ranges from 0 to 31 (and they are never calibrated properly). In contrast, the gamecube sticks and PS1/2/3 controllers all range from 0 to 255 and the wiiu pro sticks range from 0 to 4095.
and this
tueidj said:
Any adapter that functions as a classic controller would have limited range sticks.
i´m no longer hyped for that adapter.
GC to USB should work better.

Reactions: MassiveRican

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
After reading this

and this

GC to USB should work better.
That's a pity. Though those are still acceptable ranges. It's not like most games make use of more than a few levels of different speeds. Maybe camera movement uses more precision.

Wiimote support and a GC to Wiimote adapter would make it "wireless" though which is a nice addition (especially as wavebirds are so overpriced). It's the way I'd prefer to play my GC games on Wii U, but GC to USB will do the job too (though there are not enough ports available in Wii mode)

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a pity. Though those are still acceptable ranges. It's not like most games make use of more than a few levels of different speeds. Maybe camera movement uses more precision.

Wiimote support and a GC to Wiimote adapter would make it "wireless" though which is a nice addition (especially as wavebirds are so overpriced). It's the way I'd prefer to play my GC games on Wii U, but GC to USB will do the job too (though there are not enough ports available in Wii mode)
I noticed the limited ranges when playing Wind Waker (camera controlls too sensitive) and Mario Sunshine (general controlls too sensitive).

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading this
tueidj [citation needed] said:
The classic controller pro functions the same as the original classic controller except it doesn't have analog L and R triggers.
Both of them have the same terrible stick sensitivity - the L stick ranges from 0 to 63 and the R stick ranges from 0 to 31 (and they are never calibrated properly). In contrast, the gamecube sticks and PS1/2/3 controllers all range from 0 to 255 and the wiiu pro sticks range from 0 to 4095.
and this
tueidj [citation needed] said:
Any adapter that functions as a classic controller would have limited range sticks.

[citation needed] or it didn't happen.

EDIT: Here's the source:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1400

Anyway, the overly-sensitivite analog stick is a different issue completely because it can effect the Wii U Pro controller as well. I personally was able to fix the issue just by a simple reboot.

Even if the CC/pro have "horrible" analog stick sensitivity, it still has the full analog stick range - it just has less "resolution".

Also, about adapters, wouldn't the issue depend on whether the limited analog resolution is because of the hardware rather than the software signal?

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[citation needed] or it didn't happen.

EDIT: Here's the source:
I don´t want to post the source, so that the AP trolls can chase off tueidj from that board too.
It´s currently the only place to contact him.
Perhaps you can remove the link.
Anyway, the overly-sensitivite analog stick is a different issue completely because it can effect the Wii U Pro controller as well. I personally was able to fix the issue just by a simple reboot.
Yes, i revise my previous statement.
I tested Wind Waker again on my Wii with GCN controller and the camera is the same.
So it has nothing to do with devolution.
Even if the CC/pro have "horrible" analog stick sensitivity, it still has the full analog stick range - it just has less "resolution".
Yes, but wouldn´t it be nice to have the full original resolution of the GCN controller?
The CC/Pro have the full range, but in less steps then the GCN controller.
Also, about adapters, wouldn't the issue depend on whether the limited analog resolution is because of the hardware rather than the software signal?
I thought so too, but tueidj said otherwise.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don´t want to post the source, so that the AP trolls can chase off tueidj from that board too.
It´s currently the only place to contact him.
tueidj didn't stop posting here because of AP trolls, it was due to the GBATemp hacking that happened back in November or whenever.

OK, technically he didn't confirm/deny that, but he stopped posting right when it happened and hasn't even logged on since then, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
tueidj didn't stop posting here because of AP trolls, it was due to the GBATemp hacking that happened back in November or whenever.

OK, technically he didn't confirm/deny that, but he stopped posting right when it happened and hasn't even logged on since then, and I don't think that's a coincidence.
That may be part of it, but he DID post some after that. I remember noticing that he added an avatar with the version change and assuming that he finally got around to it because he was fine with no avatar in the previous version but did not like the default, gender logo avatar from this version

[/off topic]

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I just heard of Nintendont a week ago and finally got the chance to check it out, I read the first post but I'm a little lazy to read all the comments, I got a few questions:

-Will the Wii version SUPPORT Memory Cards as well? I already have 3 memory cards I can use and I can't trust NMM yet.
-Will the Wii version support NGC controllers? I feel most comfortable using those.
-Will the Wii U version support Gamepad Pro or just the regular Gamepad?
-Why is there two versions one for SD and one for USB? Wouldn't it be easier to just have one version for each console?
-Are there any plans for adding Quadforce too?
-Will there be a frame patch like Devo?
-Wouldn't it be awesome if the Wii U version used the gamepad screen to emulate a GBA link cable? How difficult would that be if I may ask?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
PS4 controller could be an improvement.
Don't bet on it, Sony are known to keep the same fugly design for their controllers, analog stick at the bottom, the controller design isn't comfortable for the shape of the hands either, R1 and L1 buttons are hard to reach, at least the R2 and L2 were improved in the PS3, I'm not sure why they're sticking with this design all these years, not that Nintendo's controllers were any better (I'm looking at you N64 controller) but at least they got lucky with the NGC controller and I'm not ready to let go of it just yet.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bet on it, Sony are known to keep the same fugly design for their controller
The PS4 controller design has already been revealed and is final...

analog stick at the bottom
This isn't a design flaw but a preference. Currently of the controllers that I've used that had the dpad below the analog stick, ALL of them were sub par (GameCube, 360, 3DS). I am interested in the Wii U pro controller since it's Dpad is apparently the same size as the classic controller, but I've yet to test out the pro controller myself.

the controller design isn't comfortable for the shape of the hands either
For Dualshock 1, 2, and 3 yes, but 4 looks to have considerably better ergonomics.

R1 and L1 buttons are hard to reach, at least the R2 and L2 were improved in the PS3
Not concerned about R1 and L1, but the R2 and L2 on the PS4 looks quite nice.

I'm not sure why they're sticking with this design all these years
Most likely because the original PS3 controller prototype was TOO ergonomically different and therefore was scrapped after internet backdrift.

not that Nintendo's controllers were any better (I'm looking at you N64 controller)
The only real issue with the N64 controller was that you couldn't use the dpad and analog stick with one thumb or face buttons and an analog stick with the other thumb, but that's most likely because the design predated the concept of having two individual analog sticks on both the left and right side.

but at least they got lucky with the NGC controller and I'm not ready to let go of it just yet
Ergonomically the controller is awesome, but dear lord at that dpad...again, you try playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection with that thing. Also the shoulder buttons are too "tight"; that is it can be uncomfortable to hold down something like the R button for an extended period of time in a racing game that forces use of said button.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
The PS4 controller design has already been revealed and is final...
To be honest I haven't seen that one yet, not sure how Sony work but Nintendo DID change their "final" design for their Wii U controller before release.

The only real issue with the N64 controller was that you couldn't use the dpad and analog stick with one thumb or face buttons and an analog stick with the other thumb, but that's most likely because the design predated the concept of having two individual analog sticks on both the left and right side.
The controller did suffer from other issues actually like a relatively sensitive analog stick and the fact the L button and Z button can NOT be used within the same game, anyway aside from the N64 Nintendo never really made a good design for a controller aside from the Gamecube and Wii U Pro controller, I admit the SNES controller wasn't all bad but was still too rectangular, which seems to be a thing for Nintendo consoles, the NES had a literary rectangular one and so did the Wii, even their handhelds are always rectangular with the exception of the GBA which shortly after was replaced with a square one (GB SP), I guess it's a matter of taste but I really don't see anyone preferring the rectangular shaped controllers over the NGC or Xbox 360 ones.

Ergonomically the controller is awesome, but dear lord at that dpad...again, you try playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection with that thing. Also the shoulder buttons are too "tight"; that is it can be uncomfortable to hold down something like the R button for an extended period of time in a racing game that forces use of said button.
I agree about the dpad, to be honest the only controller I liked the dpad for is the Daulshock, it's the only thing I absolutely love about it, as for the shoulder buttons I don't mind them, sometimes being a bit tight is better than extremely sensitive like the shoulder buttons were on the Xbox controller (the original one not 360) and it's not too tight like the Dreamcast shoulder buttons, man playing games like Crazy Taxi was very tiring.

Anyway we shouldn't get off topic, about my previews post, any answers would be appreciated.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the analog stick's issues for the N64 I'm pretty sure are just a case of 1st generation unrefined-ness. As for not being able to use Z and L, again, that's just an issue where the idea of just putting two analog sticks on both sides had never been considered, and coming from the SNES it wasn't seen that there'd be a reason to actually need two shoulder buttons per side considering the Z button just essentially replaced which ever shoulder button was unreachable.

Also the original GBA doesn't get enough love for it's awesome ergonomics (for a handheld anyway).

I have small hands (internet research says my hands are average female size...but I'm a guy) and I find the 360 controller ergonomically very comfortable as well - the only other two I find as comfortable ergonomically are the GameCube controller and the original "Duke" Xbox controller - yes I realize I'm probably the only person in the world with small hands to actually like the Duke controller. Note that the backside of the triggers on the Xbox's S-controller bumps against my middle fingers, my guess being because my small hands don't have a large enough gap between my index fingers and middle fingers. Also I've never really used the dpad on the original Xbox controller, so I left it out of my previous "crappy dpad" controller list.

ANYWAY...
-Will the Wii version SUPPORT Memory Cards as well? I already have 3 memory cards I can use and I can't trust NMM yet.
Has not been confirmed nor denied but considering even normal Wii homebrew can read from GC memory cards (see GCMM) I can't see why this wouldn't be implemented...
-Will the Wii version support NGC controllers? I feel most comfortable using those.
The Wii version, as of what has been currently announced, will ONLY support GC pads.
-Will the Wii U version support Gamepad Pro or just the regular Gamepad?
As of right now neither - it currently only supports USB controllers.
-Why is there two versions one for SD and one for USB? Wouldn't it be easier to just have one version for each console?
We had this discussion earlier and the conclusion is we came up with is "that's how crediar decided to do it"
-Are there any plans for adding Quadforce too?
I cannot comment on Quadforce since I do not follow its development and therefore I've no idea if crediar has said anything regarding it at all or not.
-Will there be a frame patch like Devo?
Do you mean the widescreen hack? If so then yes, in fact it's already been demonstrated on crediar's YouTube channel.
-Wouldn't it be awesome if the Wii U version used the gamepad screen to emulate a GBA link cable? How difficult would that be if I may ask?
Considering Nintendon't at least currently only supports GC pads and USB controllers, you'd probably have better luck finding such a feature in Devolution.

Reactions: sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Even the analog stick's issues for the N64 I'm pretty sure are just a case of 1st generation unrefined-ness. As for not being able to use Z and L, again, that's just an issue where the idea of just putting two analog sticks on both sides had never been considered, and coming from the SNES it wasn't seen that there'd be a reason to actually need two shoulder buttons per side considering the Z button just essentially replaced which ever shoulder button was unreachable.
That's a good point about the L and Z buttons, still it seems like a waste of a button, kinda like the "mode" button on the Mega Drive.

Also the original GBA doesn't get enough love for it's awesome ergonomics (for a handheld anyway).
Glad to know someone else loves the design of the original GBA, if only it was chargeable and the screen was lit it would of been the best version of all three.

The Wii version, as of what has been currently announced, will ONLY support GC pads.
That's fine by me, I was not planning to use any other ;)

As of right now neither - it currently only supports USB controllers.
Hmm... Seems like a waste of opportunities.

Do you mean the widescreen hack? If so then yes, in fact it's already been demonstrated on crediar's YouTube channel.
No I mean a patch/fix to fix games that suffer from heavy frame rate issues like Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex, the GCN version suffered from bad frame rate unlike the PS2 and Xbox versions, Devo added a patch to fix this issue taking advantage of the Wii hardware, if Quadforce was implemented too some games like Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 can benefit from that too, even Wii had some games with bad frame issues like Spider-Man Web of Shadows, a patch like this for the Wii U would be swill but that's for another topic ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: