Hacking Nintendont

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I use a full HD tv and I run Nintendont on my Wii U, is there a way I can display a 640x480 or 1280x960 image on the screen? With a black frame all around the game, you know. I'd like to play with a pixel perfect image (1:1 or 2:1 pixel ratio). Is it possible?
Just turn off all the widescreen settings

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
would you look at that, an actual update!
-fixed broken loader video mode detection (was always ntsc)
-adjusted force video mode settings to not overwrite game region anymore
-setting leftover sram horizontal offset to 0 without memory card emulation
-disabled loading of pal gc ipl on wiiu to get around its video issues for now
if you were wondering why nothing happend for a while I also work on a lot of other projects.
This probably isn't the right place to ask this but how do I use GoombaSend? When I start it it says "no Roms" and sends me back to the loader, where should I put the GB Roms, it doesn't say where, also does it also support GBC Roms or just GB? Thank you.

As for the GBA Dumper, I tested the software, of course as expected I couldn't rip games being sent from the GC to the GBA (though a good friend ripped these missing Roms for me so I'm good) I tried ripping GBA Roms and here are the results...

-Dumping GBA bios was successful but the bios did not work when tested with mGBA, not sure why because the ones I downloaded off the internet work fine, I tried dumping them again with the same results.

-Dumping a GBA game works fine, it takes some time though but the Rom worked great on mGBA.

-Dumping save did not work, I didn't try restoring a save data though less I lose my progress on my old cartridges and I couldn't back them up.

-Dumping GB/GBC cartridges does not work apparently

-Dumping pirate GBA cartridges seems to be hit or miss

It's a nice little software but personally I have a better alternative using my DS-lite with a flash card and Ez-Flash software which does exactly the same only easier and faster, still it's always nice to have an alternative in case one method wasn't available.

I personally hope someday we get a similar software to rip NDS cartridges though, maybe by syncing the NDS with the Wii (WarioWare D.I.Y. for example) and dump games like this, the internet is full of bad dumps or pre-patched NDS Roms (example Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics still crashes on Icepeak if you us the pre-patched Rom and I can't seem to find a clean US Rom in any site anymore).

Last edited by sonictopfan,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Dumping GB/GBC cartridges does not work apparently
GB(C) cartridges flip a switch inside the cartridge slot that switches it to the old 8-bit Game Boy protocol and forces use of the Sharp LR35902 CPU instead of the ARM7TDMI. Even if you load the multiboot program first and then put a GB(C) cartridge in, the multiboot program likely doesn't have access to the cartridge slot due to that switch. (Never mind the fact that GB(C) cartridges usually have some sort of bankswitching, which GBA cartridges don't.)

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(Never mind the fact that GB(C) cartridges usually have some sort of bankswitching, which GBA cartridges don't.)
on top of that they even have a different voltage which is also adjusted with that internal hardware switch :P
This probably isn't the right place to ask this but how do I use GoombaSend? When I start it it says "no Roms" and sends me back to the loader, where should I put the GB Roms, it doesn't say where, also does it also support GBC Roms or just GB? Thank you.
if you would've read the usage I write under every github project you would've known its "roms" and gbc roms can technically run but theres not enough ram you'll find out very quick.
-Dumping GBA bios was successful but the bios did not work when tested with mGBA, not sure why because the ones I downloaded off the internet work fine, I tried dumping them again with the same results.
probably a emulator mistake on your side then because both my sp and game boy player give me a verified good bios dump.
-Dumping save did not work, I didn't try restoring a save data though less I lose my progress on my old cartridges and I couldn't back them up.
again very unlikely, I assume that game had a battery or something and it died or you maybe use a 3rd party link cable, the feature was tested extensively and uses a over 10 years old codebase.
-Dumping pirate GBA cartridges seems to be hit or miss
what does that exactly mean? I use standard bios waitstates so reading should work at all times unless the cart itself is damaged because else the gba itself would not be able to play it anyways.

zantzue

Trophies
XP
Country
Just turn off all the widescreen settings
I can't check it right now but I think that's the settings I use. I get a 4:3 image with black borders on the left and on the right but I'd like to get a full black frame with black borders up and down also so that the image is 960 pixels high instead of 1080. That way the image wouldn't be a little bit blurry.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't check it right now but I think that's the settings I use. I get a 4:3 image with black borders on the left and on the right but I'd like to get a full black frame with black borders up and down also so that the image is 960 pixels high instead of 1080. That way the image wouldn't be a little bit blurry.
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize what you were asking initially

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
if you would've read the usage I write under every github project you would've known its "roms" and gbc roms can technically run but theres not enough ram you'll find out very quick.
I looked in the github page for any description for this software with no luck, then again I really suck at using github, anyway should I create a folder on the root and call it "roms"?

probably a emulator mistake on your side then because both my sp and game boy player give me a verified good bios dump.
I tested with a sp as well, tried dumping it a couple of timess with successful results but still failed to load.

again very unlikely, I assume that game had a battery or something and it died or you maybe use a 3rd party link cable, the feature was tested extensively and uses a over 10 years old codebase.
The save is perfectly fine, I was playing with it earlier today, 100% completed game I beat back in 2004, I'm not sure if my GBA-Link is third party though, I used it a lot back in the day and it didn't seem to give me any issues but I did buy it used.

what does that exactly mean? I use standard bios waitstates so reading should work at all times unless the cart itself is damaged because else the gba itself would not be able to play it anyways.
Games worked fine on real hardware (both GB sp and DS lite) though the battery is dead by this point being pirated so it starts from the beginning, when I tried to dump them most of them failed, even game ID was left blank.

Last edited by sonictopfan,

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello
I'm having some 'issues' with Nintendont. I have already installed Nintendont in my Wii and I can run GC isos using Wiiflow and directly through Nintendont without problems, and today I finally decided to patch my vWii on my 5.3.2 Wii U. I followed this guide and I can play Wii backups perfectly but when I try to run Nintendont using USB Loader GX from my external HDD (FAT 32, MBR partition table and is a primary partition) I usually get and "Exception (ISI) Ocurred" or "Error (DSI) Ocurred", I also tried with my SD card and I can get to see the GC games in USB Loader GX but when I try to load one Nintendont freezes and this also happens if I try to run Nintendont from HBC.

USB Loader GX v3 Rev 1260
The info below is what the Nintendont screen says when I run it from the SD card and then freezes
Nintendont v3.389 (Wii U)
Built: Apr 20 2016
Firmware: 58.25.32

Note: My external HDD has 2 partions, 1 WBFS and 1 Fat32, not sure if that matters. But as I said I also tried with my SD card (with and without the HDD connected) and Nintendont still doesn't want to work.
Note 2: That HDD is the same I used with my old wii and Nintendont worked just fine there.

Edit: Added images of the error screen and when it freezes.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3,344
  • S0050023.JPG
    S0050023.JPG
    619.3 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by Scarecrow B,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello
I'm having some 'issues' with Nintendont. I have already installed Nintendont in my Wii and I can run GC isos using Wiiflow and directly through Nintendont without problems, and today I finally decided to patch my vWii on my 5.3.2 Wii U. I followed this guide and I can play Wii backups perfectly but when I try to run Nintendont using USB Loader GX from my external HDD (FAT 32, MBR partition table and is a primary partition) I usually get and "Exception (ISI) Ocurred" or "Error (DSI) Ocurred", I also tried with my SD card and I can get to see the GC games in USB Loader GX but when I try to load one Nintendont freezes and this also happens if I try to run Nintendont from HBC.

USB Loader GX v3 Rev 1260
The info below is what the Nintendont screen says when I run it from the SD card and then freezes
Nintendont v3.389 (Wii U)
Built: Apr 20 2016
Firmware: 58.25.32

Note: My external HDD has 2 partions, 1 WBFS and 1 Fat32, not sure if that matters. But as I said I also tried with my SD card (with and without the HDD connected) and Nintendont still doesn't want to work.
Note 2: That HDD is the same I used with my old wii and Nintendont worked just fine there.

Edit: Added images of the error screen and when it freezes.
you do know that on vwii if your hdd doesnt have its own power source you need an Y cable right? nintendo messed up and made the usbports underpowered tahts why even official adapters like wiiu gc adapter use y cables lol they messed it up somehow.

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you do know that on vwii if your hdd doesnt have its own power source you need an Y cable right? nintendo messed up and made the usbports underpowered tahts why even official adapters like wiiu gc adapter use y cables lol they messed it up somehow.
Yes, it has a Y cable. As I said I can play my wii backups, it's just Nintendont that doesnt' work.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, it has a Y cable. As I said I can play my wii backups, it's just Nintendont that doesnt' work.
wii backups are a totaly diferent thing, make sure your fat32 partition is primary and active, make sure no other usb device is connected to the console besides the hdd.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I have checked all that, and I have also tried loading the GC isos from my SD and still nothing.
maybe you brooke your wiiu vwiiios58 wich nintendont uses or you have a modded homebrew channel with themes? or something not default homebrew channel like?

does the sd card with an iso and nintendont only works on your wii?

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
maybe you brooke your wiiu vwiiios58 wich nintendont uses or you have a modded homebrew channel with themes? or something not default homebrew channel like?

does the sd card with an iso and nintendont only works on your wii?
I haven't modded anything beyond the basic and I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything to the vwii cios 58, and yes in my wii nintendont works fine with either my HDD or SD.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I haven't modded anything beyond the basic and I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything to the vwii cios 58, and yes in my wii nintendont works fine with either my HDD or SD.
then you must have done some bad cios stuff maybe installed a wii ios on vwii or an old ios58 over the existing ios58, there is no reason where one setup works on one console and not the other if they have the same setup. maybe you got a fake wiimote or something that makes nintendont dsi exception? my fake wiiu pro does do that lol.

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, after hundreds of freezes and resets it magically fixed itself, I don't know what kind of dark magic fixed it but it seems to be working now (although I didn't change anything).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag