Homebrew Nintendont shuts down Wii when loading certain games from SD card

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on Wii 4.3 with Nintendont v6.501. My region and games are all USA.

I have a 512gb SD card FAT32 format that I am storing all my wii and gamecube games on. All the the Wii games work fine, but a few of the Gamecube games just turn off my Wii upon trying to load them.
  • It doesnt matter if I load them directly from Nintendont or USBLoaderGX they shut off my Wii
  • I thought ISO might be bad so I downloaded new ones and they still didnt work.
  • I then put the non working games on a USB drive to test if it was an issue with my SD card and sure enough the games booted fine while on the USB drive.
  • Another thread mentioned to get NKIT versions and convert them with dolphin to ISO but that didnt work either
  • Maybe I have to do some partitioning magic, idk?
Games that are working so far:
  • Simpsons Hit and Run
  • Namco Muesum 50th anniversary
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Agressive Inline
  • Animal crossing
  • Honestly most games...
Games that arent working
  • Dave Miras freestyle bmx 2
  • Luigis mansion

Last edited by cadeswii,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am on Wii 4.3 with Nintendont v6.501. My region and games are all USA.

I have a 512gb SD card FAT32 format that I am storing all my wii and gamecube games on. All the the Wii games work fine, but a few of the Gamecube games just turn off my Wii upon trying to load them.
  • It doesnt matter if I load them directly from Nintendont or USBLoaderGX they shut off my Wii
  • I thought ISO might be bad so I downloaded new ones and they still didnt work.
  • I then put the non working games on a USB drive to test if it was an issue with my SD card and sure enough the games booted fine while on the USB drive.
  • Another thread mentioned to get NKIT versions and convert them with dolphin to ISO but that didnt work either
  • Maybe I have to do some partitioning magic, idk?
Games that are working so far:
  • Simpsons Hit and Run
  • Namco Muesum 50th anniversary
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Agressive Inline
  • Animal crossing
  • Honestly most games...
Games that arent working
  • Dave Miras freestyle bmx 2
  • Luigis mansion
check your isos md5 and post them here.

when nintendont shuts off the wii there are some reasons

1- bad iso for nintendont, if you passed the iso through tools like gc iso loader or used nkit isos and such you brooke the audio streaming alligment, while for emulators like dolphin this isnt an issue nintendont will crash with those isos so you need to get a full 1.35gb iso with md5 mathching redump.

2- bad save file sometimes nintendont creates bad save files for unknown reasons. so just delete that game specific save file from the saves folder and try again.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I then put the non working games on a USB drive to test if it was an issue with my SD card and sure enough the games booted fine while on the USB drive.
USB HDD or .... ??

Another thread mentioned to get NKIT versions and convert them with dolphin to ISO but that didnt work either
Have you tried using CISO ?
For me, they both CISO & NKit work fine. I have (almost) the same setup as you. 512gb micro sdxc (Samsung evo+), but I only use Nintendont directly from my 512gb. My Wii games are only on Flash drive & in WBFS partition (not good for you). I don't use GX for GC games.

Maybe the GC game titles (proper titles) have been messed with, or your SD card isn't living up to the standards (?).
Use something like WiiBaFu to read true title/s (numbers & all). Compare if they match. You may have made mistakes on naming files/folders (?).

You can also try just putting ONLY your failed games on your SD card & see that goes ?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 512gb SD card FAT32 format
Have you checked it with h2testw before loading it with your data? If not, i highly recommend doing so to make sure it's not faulty or fake. note that you have to empty it before doing the test. It'd make sense if it has a fake large capacity and the games that are affected are corrupt 'cause you've exceeded its 'real' capacity. and that when you copied these games from your pc to usb drive they did work (the isos weren't corrupt). Unless you copied them from the sd card? Then it could be something else that's causing this.

Also make you have the latest Nintendont and usbloadergx. Try with Wiiflow Lite too if it's still not working.
Also, make sure the sd card has only one partition, it'd give you issues if it's not.

Reactions: cadeswii

nexstar400

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes Nintendont has trouble creating the virtual memory card on certain storage devices, and this causes it to crash and turn off the Wii. This was the issue for me and I think it is probably this issue for you too considering nintendont worked on a different flash drive you had.

In this case, try manually copying the .raw save file nintendont created on your flash drive and and pasting it in the saves directory on your sd card.

This fixed the issue for me, as nintendont only had a problem with creating the file in the first place and not editing it later.

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes Nintendont has trouble creating the virtual memory card on certain storage devices, and this causes it to crash and turn off the Wii. This was the issue for me and I think it is probably this issue for you too considering nintendont worked on a different flash drive you had.

In this case, try manually copying the .raw save file nintendont created on your flash drive and and pasting it in the saves directory on your sd card.

This fixed the issue for me, as nintendont only had a problem with creating the file in the first place and not editing it later.
Interesting, I will try this!

USB HDD or .... ??

Have you tried using CISO ?
For me, they both CISO & NKit work fine. I have (almost) the same setup as you. 512gb micro sdxc (Samsung evo+), but I only use Nintendont directly from my 512gb. My Wii games are only on Flash drive & in WBFS partition (not good for you). I don't use GX for GC games.

Maybe the GC game titles (proper titles) have been messed with, or your SD card isn't living up to the standards (?).
Use something like WiiBaFu to read true title/s (numbers & all). Compare if they match. You may have made mistakes on naming files/folders (?).

You can also try just putting ONLY your failed games on your SD card & see that goes ?
I have the 512gb Patriot SD card.

I just ordered a 512gb Samsung Evo a few days ago to try instead, I will get back to you on whether it fixes it for me. Definitely seems like the issue is isolated to this crappy SD card. I just dont like the idea of a HDD or USD. I want it to be small and sleek.

I have not tried CISO, how could I convert my ISO or NKIT to that format?

Have you checked it with h2testw before loading it with your data? If not, i highly recommend doing so to make sure it's not faulty or fake. note that you have to empty it before doing the test. It'd make sense if it has a fake large capacity and the games that are affected are corrupt 'cause you've exceeded its 'real' capacity. and that when you copied these games from your pc to usb drive they did work (the isos weren't corrupt). Unless you copied them from the sd card? Then it could be something else that's causing this.

Also make you have the latest Nintendont and usbloadergx. Try with Wiiflow Lite too if it's still not working.
Also, make sure the sd card has only one partition, it'd give you issues if it's not.
I have some random brand called Partiot 512gb SD. Its probably crap. I will give it a test and see what it says thank you for suggesting this.

I think I copied them from PC to USB but I could also try SD to USB to see if they get corrupted on the SD,

Another thing that may have somehow corrup them is that I followed this tutorial on creating gamecube channel forwarders: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-forwarding-in-wii-menu-through-usbloadergx-nintendont.612845/ and it worked great for the games I had already ran from Nintendont but I tried to open Luigis Mansion and Dave Mira BMX 2 from my home screen without ever opening them in Nintendont first so it may have corrupted the save data or something for the game I really dont know. But those seem to be the only 2 games not working...

Gonna also try the SD on a totally different Wii. I have 7 Wiis lol.

Last edited by cadeswii,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have not tried CISO, how could I convert my ISO or NKIT to that format?
No for NKit to CISO with WiiBaFu.
WiiBaFu->Load & select->Transfer to image-> Image format (select your weapon).
This should do the job, but if it fails to start, then your rip/conversion is most likely faulty.
I have only used WiiBaFu & it hasn't let me down. It does support GC stuff, but stuff like XenoBlade is out of the question.
I then put the non working games on a USB drive to test if it was an issue with my SD card and sure enough the games booted fine while on the USB drive.
I just dont like the idea of a HDD or USD. I want it to be small and sleek.
So you used a USB HDD, & you don't wanna use Flash drives. I assume the same goes for SSDs ?
Leave your option open & don't discard using a USB HDDs. Every Wii is different to certain extents.
All the possibilities are there for using SD cards for most of your needs, but what if your SD slot becomes damaged ? Yeah, it happens too often :(
If HDD is bulky & awkward - Just tape your HDD to your Wii (securely). A small pain but pleasurable ;)

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had that issue with bad dumps AND with Trimmed ISOs.
Are you using by chance an ISO trimmer?
No but good suggestion. They are both the 1.4gb or whatever. And they play fine from USB. I even put them on a different SD card in a different Wii and they play fine on there. Its definitely an issue with my other SD card or something on my other Wii.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No but good suggestion. They are both the 1.4gb or whatever. And they play fine from USB. I even put them on a different SD card in a different Wii and they play fine on there. Its definitely an issue with my other SD card or something on my other Wii.
corrupted save file on that sd card is probably the culprite

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

corrupted save file on that sd card is probably the culprite
YUP. Did exactly as nexstar400 and pedro702 said and it fixed it for me! Thank you everyone for the great suggestions.

Last edited by cadeswii,
Reactions: jeannotte

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I even put them on a different SD card in a different Wii and they play fine on there.
I'd safely say it's the way you have your Wii set up (apps etc). SD card is the 2nd biggest suspect.
Time to re-evaluate your mod/apps structures, & perhaps re-do them.
Maybe a simple clean-up is needed. Uninstall/remove unnecessary apps & update the important apps. Any title Deleter is easy enough to use, but be careful. Deleting the wrong things can do damage. At least the latest version of ATD has info as to what you're about to delete. Still, be careful !!!
Hope you've been keeping backups of your nand (?).

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd safely say it's the way you have your Wii set up (apps etc). SD card is the 2nd biggest suspect.
Time to re-evaluate your mod/apps structures, & perhaps re-do them.
Maybe a simple clean-up is needed. Uninstall/remove unnecessary apps & update the important apps. Any title Deleter is easy enough to use, but be careful. Deleting the wrong things can do damage. At least the latest version of ATD has info as to what you're about to delete. Still, be careful !!!
Hope you've been keeping backups of your nand (?).
As I said in the above comment it was an issue with the save file on my SD. Once I deleted them the game started working. But thank you for the suggestions. I dont know how to mark a thread as solved.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There was always issues with saving GC games through GX & Nintendont directly.
If you save GC through GX, they will vary in compliance with Nintedont saves, & vise versa.

Nothing is really ever "Solved". We all have different outcomes :(

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you save GC through GX, they will vary in compliance with Nintedont saves, & vise versa.
That's not true, since all of the USB loaders simply tell Nintendont what game to boot and what settings to apply.

It's more likely that the OPs Wii lost power at some point in time while data was being written to the SD card. And that'll result in file corrution because both FAT32 and exFAT don't support journaling.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Perhaps I did something different/wrong (?), but when I directly used Nintendont & saved a game, then used GX to load & continue the same game, it showed there was no saved game/s. The game/s did start, though. Just from the beginning.
Can't remember what happened when I tried to do it reverse - Thus the reason I only run GC games through Nintendont, directly.
I do have a few GC dual-disc games that I use with GX, successfully.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps I did something different/wrong (?), but when I directly used Nintendont & saved a game, then used GX to load & continue the same game, it showed there was no saved game/s. The game/s did start, though. Just from the beginning.
Can't remember what happened when I tried to do it reverse - Thus the reason I only run GC games through Nintendont, directly.
USB Loader GX handles GC games as follows.
  • It'll list your GC games from usb:/games and sd:/games (default paths)
  • When you select to boot a GC game it'll verify if Nintendonts installed and it's version
  • A valid config is then created for your version of Nintendont
  • The loader cleans up, boots Nintendont and is then flushed from memory
So at no point do any of the loaders touch Nintendonts save files.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
that is because you have different memory card settings on both actual nintendont and usbloadergx nintendont settings

Lets say you have on actual nintendont multi off and memory cards 251kb

While on usbloader you might have multi on or another card size difference, therefore it wont match so it wont find the save

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the attention guys, but I'm not the one that's having problems with GC games. I did (in the past), but I did resolve it.
I figured the OP may have encountered same/similar issues as I did, & I just suggested some remedies.
that is because you have different memory card settings on both actual nintendont and usbloadergx nintendont settings
Maybe that was my issue. I did originally play GC games through Nintendont only. Then I tried them with GX (older version). Wasn't happy :(
I just wanted a distinct difference between Wii/GX games & GC/Nintendont/GX games. They all start to look the same. Not taking anything away from GX. Great app !
I spent more time scrolling for/through games, than actually playing them.

There's more to what I encountered with GC/Nintendont/GX, but that was mostly the folder/file configurations, & back then GX didn't do SDs.

Back to the OPs issue :)

RedFujiKing

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
check your isos md5 and post them here.

when nintendont shuts off the wii there are some reasons

1- bad iso for nintendont, if you passed the iso through tools like gc iso loader or used nkit isos and such you brooke the audio streaming alligment, while for emulators like dolphin this isnt an issue nintendont will crash with those isos so you need to get a full 1.35gb iso with md5 mathching redump.

2- bad save file sometimes nintendont creates bad save files for unknown reasons. so just delete that game specific save file from the saves folder and try again.
im making an account on this site just to say thank you for this comment, i had some bad save files when i added some new games to my sd card and they would crash my wii, going into the saves folder, deleting the raw files and trying to launch the game again worked perfectly. i thought it was so weird the games i had issues with would work whenever i turned memcard emulation off. i must have asked in the nintendo homebrew discord like 3 times and no one gave me this answer, despite it being so simple and easy. once again, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol