Nintendo wins legal case over ROM site, site owner ordered to pay $12 million in damages

nintendo logo.png

Earlier this summer, Nintendo filed a lawsuit against Jacob Mathias, otherwise known as the owner of LoveROMS and LoveRETRO, sites that notoriously hosted ROM files of retro Nintendo games. Immediately following the legal suit, both of the aforementioned domains were shut down to prevent further issue. Nintendo's legal action also had effects on other websites that had illegal content hosted on their servers, such as Emuparadise, which removed all download links shortly after the lawsuit was made public. Mathias and his wife, who were both charged on mass copyright infringement, plead guilty to the actions of trademark infringement and damages to Nintendo. They then entered settlement talks in order to find an agreeable amount of money to pay as reparations. Today, the final judgement for the case came in, showing that both Jacob Mathias and Nintendo had agreed for the former to pay $12,230,000 to the latter, over 12 million dollars.

yettobesignedorder.png

All copyrighted material owned by the couple must also be forfeited, and ownership of LoveROMs.com and LoveRETRO.co has been signed over to Nintendo of Japan.

:arrow: Source

P

pasc

Kind of sucks to be hit in a scapegoat-esque manner like this...

think they would sell more games on their web service or on the eshop if they effectively got rid of every single roms site and sharing methods tomorrow? nope.
For that to happen they'd have to deliver quality content...
Something that - since the DS ceased to be - hasn't been the case IMO.

mezz0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dumpsites are way too public these days. I can't imagine why someone would run a 'semi' public setup like that. I remember about 25 years ago, you had 1 chance to upload a zero day release to a BBS, failing to do so would get your phone number blacklisted forever and ruin any chance you would get a leech account on that BBS.

Piracy is illegal; you're not supposed to be able to do it in plain sight and get away with it.
If you think otherwise, you're doing it wrong :P

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both sides are wrong.
nintendo has every right to uphold their copyright, even for their older games. this is so that said copyright never gets contested and they can sell said older games if they ever bring back Virtual Console and the like.
however, this is too damn much.

LingFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
"How dare you bro it's their property it's called copyright i can't wait to buy retrogames for 60$ at my 34th birthday!!"
f88.gif
You forgot to add drift issue and their proprietary emulators not working half the time

edit: Damn, I can't remove my own posts. Sorry for necroing, I didn't check the date.

Last edited by LingFox,
Reactions: Phenj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)