Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm probably a jerk for saying this, but I like this idea. x'D
I wouldn't mind if Sony or Microsoft did it either, I'd actually welcome it.
Probably would delay homebrew, but it would also delay piracy. A necessary evil. =O

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft should just have their EULA in printed form and make everyone who want's to buy any of their consoles or games sign it at the register before purchase.

Seems so rediculous that we have to basically sign a contract to play video games these days.

Reactions: jalaneme

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm probably a jerk for saying this, but I like this idea. x'D
I wouldn't mind if Sony or Microsoft did it either, I'd actually welcome it.
Probably would delay homebrew, but it would also delay piracy. A necessary evil. =O
This doesn't really have much to do with piracy or homebrew, it just forces users to accept terms they may not agree with (although to be honest, how many people care about them anyway?)

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft should just have their EULA in printed form and make everyone who want's to buy any of their consoles or games sign it at the register before purchase.

They should also require all retail clerks to be notaries also so this shit is super binding.

Reactions: assassinz

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
First, weren't EULAs not legally binding, like most of the software licenses you click past?
And second, isn't Nintendo not allowed to remove the functions that the console had when you bought it? If I remember correctly, they could release an update that if you would accept it would prevent you from using their services(online) and any "new" games and features. But you should have had an option to deny, which will leave you with the features of the console from the previous update.

While it may not be totally legal what they're doing the user can upgrade to the newer firmware and use his Wii U again, besides if he wants to play newer Wii U games that require the latest firmware there's no way to play it other than upgrading it.

There's really just two options: 1) Upgrade or 2) Offline (means user cannot play new games unless he updates)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
This doesn't really have much to do with piracy or homebrew, it just forces users to accept terms they may not agree with (although to be honest, how many people care about them anyway?)

The way i see it, it even encourages to reverge engineer it and make it run custom code.. the ps3 scene did a "huge jump" when sony removed the "OTHER OS" thing...

want a device for your free use, without dealing with weird drms? does the company decides that your console must be always online?
join the pirate army! in here your device is not just a box, its all what you which it to do!

my psp, worked as a remote control for my tv; calculator; emulator for gba games, i had so many fun....

there is a reason why people are trying to bring nintendo wifi for ds back... the companies makes the devices more and more dependent on online services and when a new console comes out they start to close them slowly... they dont even offer alternatives, i would pay a subscription for keep having access to nintendo WII and DS services. yes they closed them down to reduze costs.. why not keeping a small portion of them working and the players who want it, and pay a subscription? OR, release a software for pc, to emulate thoose closed services, so i could just open a server on my pc and play on ds\wii with my friends...

but no, they decide to put consoles in a basic functionality...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Migles, Sony and Microsoft also imply the same without being as harsh as Nintendo because if you want to play newer games it demands you to update so you can't stay on an outdated firmware unless that same one is hacked and can bypass the FW issue.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with this at all.
You shouldn't either. Don't agree keep it offline you can't play any new games.

Besides there's nothing new here.

Reactions: T Link7

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a great idea! All game software should come with a USB dongle or SD card that needs to be plugged in the system anytime you play the game. And each game has to be activated before use by entering a registration code online. Each and every copy of the game will have it's own software ID that can only ever be used on the console it was activated on.

If Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or any other software company steals/uses my idea I will sue them to the full extent of the law! :)

They should also require all retail clerks to be notaries also so this shit is super binding.
That's even better!

Let's just get it all done at the store so all we have to do is go home and turn on the console and start playing games.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So where is this EULA that is so popular? I played call of duty saturday and sunday and never got a prompt to accept an EULA, was there an update or something?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have no problems with this at all.
You shouldn't either. Don't agree keep it offline you can't play any new games.

Besides there's nothing new here.

People who buy digital content from eShop should be somewhat worried because as they said they can modify whatever they want of the system, and that could mean removing something that was previously purchased or downloaded so I'd be rather annoyed if I were one of those customers.

Sony explicitly said they would too make modifications to the PS3 console but it was really just more updates so hopefully the same stands for Nintendo's Wii U.

Imagine that the TMNT Arcade Game was on the Wii U eShop and you bought it, you turned "off" the console and then next day noticed it wasn't anywhere, now wouldn't that piss ya off? It sure would although I think Nintendo would refund the consumers in this case.

But I digress, I only download free content and will be purchasing the Mario Kart 8 DLC Bundle so that shouldn't be a problem to worry about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si :D +1