• Likes 1

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do we have a EULA changelog? Assuming there is one of course.

I had a quick scan through of the wii u one on http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp and it appears to be the fairly standard "no warranty/fitness for purpose, no reverse engineering/hacking, we might use your usage data/reserve the right to comply with law enforcement..." stuff. There is also the class action waiver, which might have been new, but it is also pretty standard as far as these things go (MS. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/disclaimer Sony. http://www.scei.co.jp/ps4-eula/ps4_eula_enuk.html Valve. http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/ EA. http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas Ubisoft. http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/Info.aspx?tagname=TermsOfUse , Square Enix might be an exception but looking at what they have in various places it might not be explicitly worded as such).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
ZEdB3CR.jpg

"Recently, Nintendo rolled out an update for the Wii U, something that fans should enjoy right? Well, it's not that simple. The new update brings an End User License Agreement, or EULA for short, that will lock your system if you don't want to accept it. After the update finishes downloading, you will be prompted with the EULA. In that case, you can either accept, change the language, or turn off your system. While most fans don't see a problem with this and just quickly hit accept, others are outraged by this decision."

Source

Discuss.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Yeah... I'm a little conflicted. I know that Nintendo has a legal right to do this but is it very moral? You know, having not read the agreement, I think I'm actually going to have to side with Nintendo on this. I'm assuming that the point of this is to try to stop, or slow, the progress of hackers and I think they're completely in their rights to do this.
Though I may be misinformed.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just from what I read in the video thumbnail, they will have the right to install stealthed full or partial updates to your system, patching anything at any time they see fit, without your say-so. I saw this coming eventually...

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Well it says in the agreement that they sold you the console, but are licensing you the software and that they can keep it from you at any time.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Just from what I read in the video thumbnail, they will have the right to install stealthed full or partial updates to your system, patching anything at any time they see fit, without your say-so. I saw this coming eventually...

That's fine by me, I for one hate those god damn patches that take 5mins or so when I could be playing the game (I know I could just skip them).

Oh wait, this reminds me -- There'll be a new firmware update when Super Smash Bros. is released because of the NGC Adapter and Amiibo stuff.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it says in the agreement that they sold you the console, but are licensing you the software and that they can keep it from you at any time.

That just makes me want to add fuel to the hardware hacking fire, opening up the hardware for anyone to develop for.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Keep your Wii U offline in Wii U mode permanetly, problem solved :-). Many of us are already doing this. The console won't know of such an update until you connect it to the net

Exactly!

I don't see the big deal there's two ways this road can go:

Left - You update.
Right - You keep it offline.

Stop making such a big fuss.

Reactions: Skelletonike

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This practice is unlawful as the user actually purchases the hardware otright. Nintendo has zero legal grounds to deactivate the hardware that isn't even their property. They are however within their legal limitations to block access to certain software (games etc) if you violate the eula or w/3 but what they're doing here is not only illegal, its just plain wrong anyway you slice it
Yeah, that's not how updates work on any other machine. The license agreement should pop up prior to the installation to give you the option to opt out. I'm not certain about the legality of this weird implementation.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Reactions: jalaneme

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah... I'm a little conflicted. I know that Nintendo has a legal right to do this but is it very moral? You know, having not read the agreement, I think I'm actually going to have to side with Nintendo on this. I'm assuming that the point of this is to try to stop, or slow, the progress of hackers and I think they're completely in their rights to do this.
Though I may be misinformed.

How is this legal? I bought the system, thus I own it and can do what I want with it.
This would be like if I bought a yellow house from someone and painted it blue. Then the old owners came back and pained it yellow again, but then set the house on fire because they wanted it yellow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.