Nintendo will have inferior hardware next gen

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, wow, wow - funem, you're going extra far with your assumptions. Racing with power-ups, albeit from a bird's eye view was present on earlier consoles, so was the d-pad. Platform games may have been perfected by Nintendo, but they did not invent them by no means. etc. etc. Still, they are quite the force of innovation on the market.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
Um... Most sites are saying the new xbox is 6 or 8 times more powerful than the 360. The same sites are saying the new nintendo is 6 times more powerful than the 360. The difference will either be non existant, or negligable.

Either way, I don't give a toss. I'm never buying a microsoft console again. They turned rareware into their official Nintendo-imitation dept. The only reason I bought a 360 in the beginning was for kameo!! I wanted Rareware games. And now I realise, far too late, that rareware aren't rareware anymore. They're like activision, or atari. There by name and licences held. Nothing more.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Um... Most sites are saying the new xbox is 6 or 8 times more powerful than the 360. The same sites are saying the new nintendo is 6 times more powerful than the 360. The difference will either be non existant, or negligable.

You realize that neither is true nor possible? Those are just happy happy joy joy songs.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, wow, wow - funem, you're going extra far with your assumptions. Racing with power-ups, albeit from a bird's eye view was present on earlier consoles, so was the d-pad. Platform games may have been perfected by Nintendo, but they did not invent them by no means. etc. etc. Still, they are quite the force of innovation on the market.

whut cant handle it ?

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I said Kart racing and this is what has been copied, please re-read. I also said the D pad we use today. Donkey Kong is recognised as the first true platfomer.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

whut cant handle it ?
It's not that I can't handle it, it's just that it's not true, as mentioned in my previous posts.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I said Kart racing and this is what has been copied, please re-read. I also said the D pad we use today. Donkey Kong is recognised as the first true platfomer.

Umm... I'm pretty sure Space Panic was the first platformer.

Though if we really want to get technical, I believe Real Life was the first platformer...and the first RPG...and the first FPS...

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Though if we really want to get technical, I believe Real Life was the first platformer...and the first RPG...and the first FPS...

Space panic was originally classed as a platformer but most games historians now say its not, for one basic reason... you cant jump or fall, and thats how a platformer is defined. Donkey kong was also first with having different sceens ( I believe).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Thing is, Mario Kart was not the first Kart racing game either - I believe those begun as early as in the reign Atari. Admittedly the carts looked like "blocks" but still.

Not that either of those features really matter - those are typical Archetypes of gaming, of course they're interlinking and re-occouring in new formations as the time passes.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Space panic was originally classed as a platformer but most games historians now say its not, for one basic reason... you cant jump or fall, and thats how a platformer is defined. Donkey kong was also first with having different sceens ( I believe).

well now that just sounds like someone's opinion

edit*
btw, excellent work googling Space Panic. your use of the word "historians" gave you away... ;)

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thing is, Mario Kart was not the first Kart racing game either - I believe those begun as early as in the reign Atari. Admittedly the carts looked like "blocks" but still.

Not that either of those features really matter - those are typical Archetypes of gaming, of course they're interlinking and re-occouring in new formations as the time passes.

http://entertainment...mario-kart-1992

Lord know what you would have been like around the time of the vectrex, SNES and Genesis consoles, most of them had unique games lists that make this argument look stupid. Multiplatform is nice but not required.

Re Space panic and historians, actually not google... look under my avatar... "Retro Powered" ..... I looked in the Guiness book of records on my shelf. (Guiness book of records 2012, "Donkey Kong (Nintendo 1981) was the very first 2D platformer....... "

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Multiplatforms were in the world of gaming since its beginning. In fact, games were ported even more due to the multitude of available platforms, ESPECIALLY in the first and second generation, but in the third aswell, although more exclusives emerged then.

I'm not underestimating the importance of Super Mario Kart - I'm saying that it's not the first car game.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Multiplatforms were in the world of gaming since its beginning. In fact, games were ported even more due to the multitude of available platforms, ESPECIALLY in the first and second generation, but in the third aswell, although more exclusives emerged then.

I'm not underestimating the importance of Super Mario Kart - I'm saying that it's not the first car game.

I said Kart racing, I was quite specific.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

For god's sake, you're particular about wording even when you're well-aware of the sense of the sentence. It's not the first cart game either, jeez.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

For god's sake, you're particular about wording even when you're well-aware of the sense of the sentence. It's not the first cart game either, jeez.

It was you who have picked holes in everything that has been said, now you are complaining that I am being picky....

Just cheacked, First Kart racer with powerups (as I said), its in the book of records and also in the link I supplied. I am stepping out now, you will never be satisfied with any argument put before you. This thread needs locking.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I said that kart racing is an archetype that is reoccouring, the first typically "Kart" game is Karting Grand Prix for the Atari ST - it's bad, but it's a karting game. There were racing games with power-ups though, but you insist on the "kart" part even though on Atari ST and earlier system there was little difference between a kart and a full-sized car.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
There is logic behind why they never go for the best hardware. Remember back when the 360 and PS3 we're new they both had hardware failures at launch what we now refer to as RROD and YLOD. Nintendo used older hardware that had been revised and improved so they had less issues. They make more money by selling cheaper hardware at a price point and on top of that they don't have to hire as many repair workers. So ultimately they win. It's kind of scheme really, but it works and the public just eats it up. How do they know it's gonna be hit they do tests on the public by releasing things to see how the public will accept. The DSi for example was really just a test to see how the public would like DLC on a handheld. It was well received so they went ahead with plans for the 3DS. The Wii in that sense is a test to see how well the public would have accepted motion controls. Obviously it was a success much bigger than they thought it would be. The Wii U will undoubtedly be a success.

Just FYI I'm pretty sure the rate for YLoD in PS3s was/is like less than 1%. Like I thought it was .7%. Xbox 360's had much larger RRoD numbers but it's been fixed for a while now, from Jasper original Xbox models and for all Slim models as well I thought. I definitely wouldn't say hardware failure was what kept them out of the market, they just realized for what their target audience was, they didn't need good graphics to appeal to them.

I definitely wouldn't say they "ultimately won". It was a definite trade off, having a cheaper console with lesser graphics. They lost a shit ton of multiplats, excellent multiplats at that. They got some but they were usually downgraded ports that definitely couldn't hold a candle to their HD big brothers. Plus graphics are definitely a selling point of a console. When I buy something new I'd like the graphics to look new, buying a new console and having games look like they did ten years ago is ridiculous when tech exists to make them look so much better. Let's not forget that more power equates to advantages like farther render distances, less lag when shit starts flying, and more objects on screen. Pretty much any modern open world game would only be a shell of itself on last gen tech, not to mention games that are incredibly intensive on the "objects on screen" part like Dead Rising. I'm sure everyone remembers the mockery of Chop Till You Drop.

Yes, their cheaper console won them over in sales but it definitely didn't please fans as much as the Gamecube did. While the Gamecube sold poorly many fans will still argue about how great the library was in general, from first parties to third parties (including multiplats).
>.7%
Wow, I lucked out. My PS3 is sitting dead in my back closet.

Edit: OI! Foxi! Stop arguing that Nintendo didn't invent anything. A lot of their things had been done before in a similar manner. For most of them however, Nintendo managed to simply do it better, and more importantly, popularize it. Apple did not invent the touch screen, nor did Nintendo. And yet they're primarily responsible for it's presence in the mass market.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right.

generic platformer + insert Mario = win
generic kart racer + insert Mario characters = win
generic fighting game + insert Nintendo characters = win

Nintendo branded their games. That is where their popularity came from.

Just look at Super Mario Bros. 2 (the American release)... All they did was insert Mario into another game and bam...10 million copies sold.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Except those things were not generic before Nintendo did them. Some of them had been done, but the second telephone was not a "generic communications device". I dare you to say that Super Mario Brothers 3 is a generic platformer and only sold well because it had Mario

Edit: And how about the original Super Mario Brothers, or Donkey Kong? Those were smash hits, and neither Nintendo nor Mario was a giant at the time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='Midna']
@[member='funem']

I am not arguing that Nintendo didn't invent anything - it's just that I only attribute THEIR inventions to them. Knowing how to drive better then the first driver in the world does not mean "inventing driving", re-inventing? Maybe. Funem is correct to the extent that I will not be "convinced" no matter what is said to believe something that is essentially false - "Karting Game" is not a genre - racing game is, and racing games with power up's were present at that time. The fact whether the characters raced in go-karts, rockets or on bloody armadillo's is irrelevant - that's the game contents, those are the devices used, but they don't affect the gameplay. If Mario Kart was actually Mario Motor Racing from the start it would essentially be the same game, thus I classify it (approprietly) as a racing game. That said, it was one of the first Third Person Perspective racing games that was done "right", and I tip my imaginary hat, Nintendo - you made a timeless classic there.

There are multiple things that I can attribute to Nintendo, but inventing racing games with power-up's isn't one of them, point. By the way, Midna? I stand againts the common notion that Apple pupularized touch screens - if anyone did then it had to be Microsoft with their like of PoketPC PDA's based on WindowsCE and derrivatives. Admittedly they did not "build" the devices, but they laid out rules for the developers to follow so that they can even recieve a license. Quality control was quite high and devices like the Dell Axim's literally kick-started the whole "Touchscreen at the palm of your hand" epoch, at least in the form we know it today. If you're thinking of black and white ones then it's hard not to mention Nokia Communicator phones, probably the most popular touch-equipped phones at the time, at least where I live.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/z9E_uv5IT-o?si=0qMdVEnRK8mmclzS