Nintendo to release 3DS transfer tool save app

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Excuse me? Mario kart 7 says hi.
I am unaware of whatever you're referring to, but what I mean is that the actual cart won't be patched. If there is some patch for some game, it'll be done on-the-fly by the system, meaning you should be able to avoid installing the patch if you desire. With a digital copy, unless you have the exploited game already, you won't be able to download an unpatched version; with a cart, you can just buy the cart in a shop and not install the patch (might require taking 3DS offline or whatever), and the cart will still be exploitable.
Ok point taken. Thx XD

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I'm surprised Nintendo would do this. It'll prove useful if I ever want to side for a eShop version for on the go (because I actually want to play some MK7 or OoT on the go but I just can't because Kid Icarus is taking too much room in my cart slot).

Reactions: 2 people

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me? Mario kart 7 says hi.
I am unaware of whatever you're referring to, but what I mean is that the actual cart won't be patched. If there is some patch for some game, it'll be done on-the-fly by the system, meaning you should be able to avoid installing the patch if you desire. With a digital copy, unless you have the exploited game already, you won't be able to download an unpatched version; with a cart, you can just buy the cart in a shop and not install the patch (might require taking 3DS offline or whatever), and the cart will still be exploitable.
No not really. They way the currently have setup software on the SD card, makes on the fly patches of the original data hard to do, only because they aren't installing a title, they are decrypting the data on the SD Card patching it, taking hashes and recreating the .CMD file and editing title.db, and then finally re-encrypting it which can leave room for things to go wrong. They would either have to re-download an entire patched copy of the executable, and considering the sizes of digital downloads I doubt they get away with it. Or they issue one of those add-on update patches which is more likely.

If however on the odd occasion, that Nintendo goes ahead with it's messy file modification, to patch Digital downloads. One can always revert back to the un-patched version of the title, by making sure they have a backup of their title.db and the .app/.cmd for the title in question.

EDIT: Modifying the game code in a CXI requires many followup procedures to make the CXI valid again, which can get messy:

1/ Decrypt encrypted CXI
2/ Decrypt CXI components (ExHeader, AccessDesc, ExeFS, RomFS)
3/ Apply patches to code (maybe RomFS patches too)
4/ Correct ExHeader, with new ExeFS data
5/ Take Hashes again, because the ExeFS (and maybe RomFS) changed. Take hash of ExHeader
6/ Check AcccessDesc, to verify that the right RSA pubk, for the NCCH RSA keypair is there.
7/ Encrypt CXI components
8/ Sign NCCH header
9/ Encrypt CXI
10/ Re-create .CMD file, and edit .title.db, so the new CXI is acceptable

I understand that 2-8 could be done in one step by simply selecting a region of data where the modifications are to be made, and replace. But then you have the problem of multiple versions. Say you have more than one version, of a digital download. The process would have to be performed for each update of the code. And step 10 is particularly dangerous, because you are editing the title.db by creating values from the data on the SD card, this can run the risk of accidentally signing *tampered* CXI files. But there isn't anything stopping Nintendo from redesigning there title system to some how support or enforce quick patches.

It would be much more secure to force the user to download an updated version of the title (which they do for regular eShop apps), or make them download an 'Add-on' Update, which is much more practical.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what people are generally refering to is the fact that the more doors ninty open the more they will forget to close behind them , therefore more chances of finding a loophole if one exisits .. The higher the monkey climbs the tree , the more it shows its ass.

No it doesnt, its ass is covered with friggn fur. Thats a terrible anology!
Are they ?#
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XzO8d8n292o/TCty9aOqWYI/AAAAAAAAErU/p6ybOf_LrgI/s1600/633692792613426410-MyAss.jpg
Thats a baboon! Its barely even related to monkeys!

Reactions: 1 person

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The app is now on the eshop! (I downloaded it yesterday) The eshop has not been updated to show this (I'm pretty sure it won't till Friday) but if you search "transfer" you will get the MH3U transfer tool and the 3ds save data transfer tool. When you start it up, after a very short download, you will be prompted to download some additional data before the program will work. However, I have not tested it yet as I have no use for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4