Nintendo talks about Breath of The Wild WiiU and Switch version differences

breath1-1484349894491_large.jpg

The house of Mario has spoken; the Switch will run the upcoming Zelda installment at 900p while the WiiU will be stuck at 720p, both running the game at 30fps.

In a statement provided to IGN, Nintendo explained the following “key facts” about each version:
  • Both launch on the same day, March 3.
  • Both have a frame rate of 30fps.
  • Both versions of the game offer the same content.
  • On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.
  • The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game’s Open-Air feel.
  • The physical copy of the Wii U version will require 3GB of available memory on the Wii U system or an external drive.
  • Some icons, such as onscreen buttons, differ between the two versions.
  • A Special Edition and Master Edition of the Wii U version are not available.

This might come to a disappointment to many who would expect the upcoming (their preordered?) console to run one of the most anticipated game of the year at a glorious 1080p/60fps. Nevertheless, it should be noted that this decision has probably been made to ensure the gamer's best experience and shouldn't foretell the gameplay.

:arrow: SOURCE

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more I read, the more I'm unsure about getting Zelda on the Switch. It's sounding like it was lazily ported and not very well optimized.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more I read, the more I'm unsure about getting Zelda on the Switch. It's sounding like it was lazily ported and not very well optimized.
Have you not seen any of the live footage online? Stop reading first (and sometimes third)-hand accounts and just watch it and look at the comparisons yourself

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
What in the love of fuck are you reading? Both versions run at 30 FPS, Switch renders it at higher resolution.
Obviously, it's a Wii U title ported to the Switch. No secret there. It was announced before the Switch for christs sake. And "not very well optimized".....? What?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was totally just reading about this and was gonna make a thread, damn you Prans

Watching staff members fight over who was gonna do it first is part of the reason why i like the news section. :P

To be honest, since they prioritized the switch as mobile than console, i would suspected it would be something like this.... but what the heck is 900P? It sounds as crazy as the vita 540P. :wtf:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Watching staff members fight over who was gonna do it first is part of the reason why i like the news section. :P

To be honest, since they prioritized the switch as mobile than console, i would suspected it would be something like this.... but what the heck is 900P? It sounds as crazy as the vita 540P. :wtf:
As have been stated about 50 times in this thread, 900p is a VERY common resolution to render in for this gen. XBone and PS4 does it with most games.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all those people calling people blind for not being able to tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, shut the fuck up. Stop trying to find ways to feel surperior to others. My eyes are fine and I can't tell a difference. If you can tell a difference, you must have very crazy weird eye site, ora SHIT TON of experience in LEARNING the differences via comparisons.

Any normal/casual gamer really cannot tell the difference. Stop trying to talk down to others with lies to make yourself feel better.

/rant.
I'd argue because you're wrong but sometimes it's better for people to see themselves.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resolution is not a big deal but frame rate is huge.
I can't tell differences in resolution except side by side. Is there a similar site to 30vs60 for resolution? I'm basically looking for several sets of images: One set rendered in 1080p and scaled to 720p and the other rendered in 720p. The first should be higher quality but I have trouble telling the difference.

60fps is important for gameplay. 60fps gives you more information so you'll be better at controlling the game.

I'm a Hatsune Miku fan and the Future Tone PS4 game is her first game with 60fps. The 2010 arcade game is too, but who lives near a Japanese video arcade? Anyway, a lot of players reported more success and I think it's because 60fps gives you more information so it's easier to get the timing correct. This was my experience too using the PSP games' 60fps cheat codes.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As have been stated about 50 times in this thread, 900p is a VERY common resolution to render in for this gen. XBone and PS4 does it with most games.
The same resolution most XBOne games render at
Well my tv never heard of it. It only knows 480P 720P 1080I and 1080P. So i didn't know okay? Anyway, To be honest i usuaully think the lower resolution was to help increase performance in games, which is why most games don't use 1080P even if the console supports it, while is disappointing, is not bad, just 2D sprite games always seem to look okay without the higher res than the 3D games do.

It can't look that bad, is cel shaded too, so it would be almost like wind waker HD on wii u... or dolphin or something. :)

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Well my tv never heard of it. It only knows 480P 720P 1080I and 1080P. So i didn't know okay? Anyway, To be honest i usuaully think the lower resolution was to help increase performance in games, which is why most games don't use 1080P even if the console supports it, while is disappointing, is not bad, just 2D sprite games always seem to look okay without the higher res than the 3D games do.

It can't look that bad, is cel shaded too, so it would be almost like wind waker HD on wii u... or dolphin or something. :)
They don't output at 900p. They render at 900p and upscale to 1080p.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
To all those people calling people blind for not being able to tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, shut the fuck up. Stop trying to find ways to feel surperior to others. My eyes are fine and I can't tell a difference. If you can tell a difference, you must have very crazy weird eye site, ora SHIT TON of experience in LEARNING the differences via comparisons.

Any normal/casual gamer really cannot tell the difference. Stop trying to talk down to others with lies to make yourself feel better.

/rant.
To add to the above. It's not abnormal to notice the difference. It's something I noticed when I built my first PC 4 years ago. Playing crysis 3 on the 360 and PC was a huge difference. Its something my friends and family, most are casual gamers, noticed a difference.

Last edited by Kioku,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
its pretty obvious the game was simply held back to offer something fresh for the switch at launch, if it wasn't for the switch coming out BotW would have probably dropped last year for WiiU

I'm going to put all my pessimism on the back burner, although I will say Mario odyssey had a few scenes that looked a bit dodgy in graphical fidelity, but I think that stemmed from the jumping between attempted realism and cartoony sections

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What in the love of fuck are you reading? Both versions run at 30 FPS, Switch renders it at higher resolution.
Obviously, it's a Wii U title ported to the Switch. No secret there. It was announced before the Switch for christs sake. And "not very well optimized".....? What?
I view optimization in a game as more than whether the game runs well or not. It's also taking advantage of the hardware and software given to you. Breath of the wild clearly falls short in that. While, yes, it's been in development longer than we've known about the switch. It doesn't mean that Nintendo shouldn't have given it more than a port treatment. It's actually rather lazy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge