Nintendo Switch Won't Be Getting Virtual Console

switch virtual console .JPG

If you've been wondering when you will finally be able to enjoy Virtual Console games on the Switch, you might be in for some disappointment...

Answering to Kotaku, a Nintendo Spokesperson said that “there are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems.”

“There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections,” the Nintendo spokesperson added. “Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will provide a fun new way to experience classic NES games that will be different from the Virtual Console service, thanks to enhancements such as added online play, voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online app and the various play modes of Nintendo Switch.”

:arrow: SOURCE

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And sorry.. Where the blood hell do you get that leap of logic?

How can you play these offline if you have to pay to gain access to them? You can't do that with PS+ as you need an internet connection, I don't see this as being any different. And where did you get the leap of logic that this is somehow a good business model? I smell damage control; you can't even keep the sodding games you download if you stop paying for the service.

And NES games, I must be in the minority because I couldn't give a damn about NES games with online capabilities.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you play these offline if you have to pay to gain access to them? You can't do that with PS+ as you need an internet connection, I don't see this as being any different. And where did you get the leap of logic that this is somehow a good business model? I smell damage control; you can't even keep the sodding games you download if you stop paying for the service.

And NES games, I must be in the minority because I couldn't give a damn about NES games with online capabilities.

Uh dude.. You -can- play PS+ games offline.. You can play Gamepass games offline.

I think you need to do a bit of research. And weather you give a damn about the games is a completely different issue than you're leap of logic about wifi.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh dude.. You -can- play PS+ games offline.. You can play Gamepass games offline.

I think you need to do a bit of research. And weather you give a damn about the games is a completely different issue than you're leap of logic about wifi.

I meant the ones that require an internet connection, you know, the games that you can stream? Yeah, and not being able to pay for individual games is the dumbest thing to ever grace a Nintendo online service. Why are people blindly defending this garbage business model?

I meant Playstation Now, you have to have internet, you can't even download the game and play it whenever you want, it's BS. I see the same with this crap. People are defending this with nothing but blind sycophancy.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant the ones that require an internet connection, you know, the games that you can stream? Yeah, and not being able to pay for individual games is the dumbest thing to ever grace a Nintendo online service. Why are people blindly defending this garbage business model?

I meant Playstation Now, you have to have internet, you can't even download the game and play it whenever you want, it's BS. I see the same with this crap. People are defending this with nothing but blind sycophancy.

But there is NOTHING so far that says the NES games require STREAMING... So again.. Where did you get this insane leap of logic?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Only NES, that's a bummer, but I also don't believe that neccessarily means other systems are off the table. Perhaps in time they'll add SNES and Gameboy/Advance, and maybe even N64 and Gamecube (I imagine NES will be a single title you select from your Switch menu which brings you to another interface where you can pick the NES game you want to play (probably not looking very different from the NES classic interface), perhaps the other systems will eventually get the same treatment). Then again, perhaps not. The Wii U took years before N64 titles started to release on its VC and likewise the 3DS didn't see SNES games for many years. This is Nintendo, they seem to love taking their time letting us access old games on their latest systems, with exception to the Wii where they just went to town almost immediately releasing games for any system the Wii could handle.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: Masterwin

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there is NOTHING so far that says the NES games require STREAMING... So again.. Where did you get this insane leap of logic?

Did I stutter? There's nothing that says that they will add other consoles to the roster of games, either, so yeah, NES games, wow I haven't played those before. Yeah, we don't have the NES Classic, Wii U VC, Wii VC or 3DS VC to play those. Oh wait.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing that says that they will add other consoles to the roster of games, either, so yeah, NES games, wow I haven't played those before.

Stop moving the goal posts and answer the damned question. Where is there -any- indication that these games will be streamed. Nothing about new games.. You are making comments about needing Wifi to play... I'm forcing you to actually explain that leap of logic. Stop moving the goalposts.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Did I stutter? There's nothing that says that they will add other consoles to the roster of games, either, so yeah, NES games, wow I haven't played those before. Yeah, we don't have the NES Classic, Wii U VC, Wii VC or 3DS VC to play those. Oh wait.
Holy shit, Rando. Sit down and shut up. You're too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Assuming they're not going to add other games is just bad practice. You're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Literally NOTHING states you HAVE to be online to play these games. That'd be bad business for a system that touts portability, yeah?

They'll be adding more games as they work out the service. My god.

Last edited by Kioku,

Masterwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Only NES, that's a bummer, but I also don't believe that neccessarily means other systems are off the table. Perhaps in time they'll add SNES and Gameboy/Advance, and maybe even N64 and Gamecube (I imagine NES will be a single title you select from your Switch menu which brings you to another interface where you can pick the NES game you want to play (probably not looking very different from the NES classic interface), perhaps the other systems will eventually get the same treatment). Then again, perhaps not. The Wii U took years before N64 titles started to release on its VC and likewise the 3DS didn't see SNES games for many years. This is Nintendo, they seem to love taking their time letting us access old games on their latest systems, with exception to the Wii where they just went to town almost immediately releasing games for any system the Wii could handle.

I am the first one to be enjoying all the emulators in hbl in 3.0.0 from the first day
https://goo.gl/UQWUfZ

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop moving the goal posts and answer the damned question. Where is there -any- indication that these games will be streamed. Nothing about new games.. You are making comments about needing Wifi to play... I'm forcing you to actually explain that leap of logic. Stop moving the goalposts.

I didn't know how it worked, geez, but I still think having to pay to play games and keep them, instead of being able to permanently purchase them is a stupid system.
"Awesome, I get to play 30 year old games by paying 20 dollars a year, best part is I won't be able to keep them if I unsubscribe!"

Holy shit, Rando. Sit down and shut up. You're too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Assuming they're not going to add other games is just bad practice. You're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Literally NOTHING states you HAVE to be online to play these games. That'd be bad business for a system that touts portability, yeah?

Yes, sir.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It certainly prevents you from keeping the games forever, because you have to pay to play, and NES games, yeah, we haven't had those before.
I'm pretty sure they'll still be accessible offline as long as you're subbed to the online service. I could be wrong though, they're not real clear on that point right now.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And prevents you from ever taking the Switch with you where there's no WiFi either, so, either way you're screwed.

I mean 5 or more years ago that might have been a real problem, but with everyone's smartphone being able to become a wifi hotspot and many of us having made the move to unlimited data plans. This issue definitely will not apply to most users, really just kids that don't have smartphones, and people still on older plans that restrict how much data they use, of course NES games are incredibly small file sizes, so you could probably get by on a 1gb or 2gb plan every month and be more than fine without getting overage charges.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢