Nintendo Switch paid online service starts this September

IMG_6614.JPG

After confusing reports and lots of wondering, Nintendo has finally given a solid release date for when the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch will launch. Come September 2018, the free online will end, and the $20 a year online subscription will be required to play games online. Nothing else was revealed, but more details were promised in the coming months.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This is a good point. WoW still asks $15/month for 2006 graphics at best. Of course there are plenty of people that steer clear of MMOs now, though.

The gaming communities are changing. It's weird..

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The gaming communities are changing. It's weird..
Eh, it's to be expected. Last fad was MOBAs (best is Battlerite on Steam), current fad is "battle royale" games like PUBG and Fortnite (none of which I have any interest in). Also roguelikes, which are awesome.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MMOs are a persistent game world though on dedi servers. Until recently console online was mostly P2P. MS is getting better with a decent amount of games using azure, but there are still plenty of games using P2P or dedis hosted by someone else, in some games same servers you share with others.

Want to charge me for online, then I want proper servers provided by whoever is charging me.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles have always been cheaper up front, but not in the long term. You get way more long-term value out of PC games with mods and customization options, and prices usually go down faster. Disclaimer being ofc that PC component prices truly are ridiculous right now because of the crypto-craze.
Not really. Maybe you had to wait longer for price drops, but you could still get games for cheap and had free online while having paid cheaper up front. Only thing consoles really have now, consistency between hardware and a convenient package. As well as maybe get more power out of hardware of PCs of the same price. As with the Switch, the best portability. At least the consoles are moving into the direct of having some mods too. At this point tho, it might just be best to save up and eat the initial cost for a good PC, just to have free online. *Sigh

Absolutely you can have these things for free, but the game servers deployed in Steam games aren't always the best. With paid online you can at least hope for a bit more consistency from game to game.
I rather have "aren't always the best" and hope for consistency than pay for something that probably isn't going to approve much by paying and even if it does, still not worth losing playing for free.

Xbox has been doing this since what... 2002? 2003? This "nickel and diming" is a subscription fee with some minor benefits over what once was a "free package". Do I agree with it? No. Is it "Nickel and Diming" the customer? Only if you're that ignorant I guess?
Yes, it is nickel and diming. Doesn't matter when it started.

Pay to play online is an insult, but MMOs have had this niche for a long ass time. Not sure why you're not pointing fingers at them. Oh, right... because they're not consoles... You have to wonder why they're charging for an online service. The answer will shock you...
Never paid for a MMO and even MMOs are starting to leave the subscription model behind. Plus, MMOs with a lot more players per game, doesn't make you pay for online for every game that just happens to have online.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Maybe you had to wait longer for price drops, but you could still get games for cheap and had free online while having paid cheaper up front. Only thing consoles really have now, consistency between hardware and a convenient package. As well as maybe get more power out of hardware of PCs of the same price. As with the Switch, the best portability. At least the consoles are moving into the direct of having some mods too. At this point tho, it might just be best to save up and eat the initial cost for a good PC, just to have free online. *Sigh

I rather have "aren't always the best" and hope for consistency than pay for something that probably isn't going to approve much by paying and even if it does, still not worth losing playing for free.

Yes, it is nickel and diming. Doesn't matter when it started.

Never paid for a MMO and even MMOs are starting to leave the subscription model behind. Plus, MMOs with a lot more players per game, doesn't make you pay for online for every game that just happens to have online.

You clearly have no idea what nickel and diming is... They're not trying to charge us for every possible thing they can. They're just charging us so they can actually bring money in to properly maintain servers. You talk so casually, but I implore you to run a huge networking infrastructure like XBL or PSN for free and then come back and call it nickel and diming. Your ignorance is astounding.

Last edited by Kioku,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You clearly have no idea what nickel and diming is... They're not trying to charge us for every possible thing they can. They're just charging us so they can actually bring money in to properly maintain servers. You talk so casually, but I implore you to run a huge networking infrastructure like XBL or PSN for free and then come back and call it nickel and diming. Your ignorance is astounding.
PC seems to be doing just fine and they get discounts faster.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shitty old Shield hardware, bunch of lousy ports instead of new games, no patches for some games due stupid restrections, but yes, we gonna charge you for online play. On a handheld system. Best selling console ever, harhar.

Wow, with that kind of tone, I'd guess that Miyamoto and Reggie both pissed in your cheerios this morning. Not to mention getting up on the wrong side of the bed. Whew. Keep up the positive attitude, man! :toot:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I FUCKING HATE ABOUT CONSOLES why do I have to pay to play online? In rural areas you don't get the cable speeds but after X amount is used your fucked up Its bad enough some game content like season passes (DBXV2) are shitty and some devs just don't give a fuck

This is what holds me back from getting games like FighterZ or Destiny what about the people with shitty internet

Last edited by DRAGONBALLVINTAGE,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can't wait to not pay for it. MK8D, Pokken and Splatoon 2 are not enough to make me break out the dough, the Switch lacks most of the AAA multiplayer games and the features are lacking anyways - if their online service was at least on par with PSN and XBL perhaps I'd consider it. Unfortunately it can't be since the genius engineers behind the Switch forgot to implement an inline mic. In the 21st century.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to not pay for it. MK8D, Pokken and Splatoon 2 are not enough to make me break out the dough, the Switch lacks most of the AAA multiplayer games and the features are lacking anyways - if their online service was at least on par with PSN and XBL perhaps I'd consider it. Unfortunately it can't be since the genius engineers behind the Switch forgot to implement an inline mic. In the 21st century.
I disagree with the suggestion that XBL and PSN do anything special to earn their subscription cost. The games selection is a valid point for the time being, but by the time Pokemon and Smash are out nobody will think twice. Not to mention possible Prime 4 multiplayer.

As for mics they haven't really announced anything official yet, no reason to assume tentative plans haven't changed.

Last edited by Xzi,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tell me about wasting money on online services, I paid Xbox Gold Subscription for a whole year and I didn't play online even once.
I guess at least I did good use of the Gold "discounts" and "sales" for digital purchases.
I know very well that an online service for global multiplayer is wasted on me, so they have to lure me in some other way. Be it free games, discounts, or some other kind of service.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I disagree with the suggestion that XBL and PSN do anything special to earn their subscription cost. The games selection is a valid point for the time being, but by the time Pokemon and Smash are out nobody will think twice. Not to mention possible Prime 4 multiplayer.

As for mics they haven't really announced anything official yet, no reason to assume tentative plans haven't changed.
The mic solution is already available - the ridiculous octopus that connects the Switch to a phone and a headset, using the phone as the actual transmitter. It's entirely fair to assume that Nintendo wouldn't release a dedicated dongle if the Switch was voicechat-ready.

As for special benefits of membership, up to +60 games a year, a messaging infrastructure that actually works, proper ID system, seamless matchmaking, discounts and multimedia available right there on the store goes to show just how far ahead XBL and PSN are compared to Nintendo. I'd like to remind you that Nintendo games are *still* attached to the system upon purchase - I can play my PS and XBO games wherever, whenever and on whatever console. NN doesn't even begin to compare.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ain't even mad. Honestly, at $20/year we're talking $1.67/month. I don't know any other subscription service that cheap which I would even remotely consider. Switch has a very limited selection of online games, but we can presume that will gradually go up over time. Aside from that, Nintendo has promised virtual console games alongside the service. VC games on the Wii U are $5-$10 a piece unless you get them during one of the (scarce) sales. Getting games for free at < $2/month (in addition to online) is an absolute steal, even if it is only 1 game a month. Yes, you probably have to maintain an active subscription to use them, so it adds up over time... But it's still a way better value than PS+, which has seen droves of players subscribe for multiple years.

It's an optional service, and if Nintendo can't convince people it's worth it they won't buy it. That's bad business. I understand it's hard to adjust to paying for something that used to be free, but I am certain Nintendo will make it worth our while with incentives.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said it before and I will say it again. Just shut the fuck up everyone and stop complaining. You all seem to can't stop complaining about a service neither you nor I know everything about. It is known that many things are being held back till the paid service kicks into gear. So what we have know is clearly not a true and full representation of what you will be paying for. Until you know what the service will be for real stop being a dam cry baby.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms