Nintendo Switch paid online service starts this September

IMG_6614.JPG

After confusing reports and lots of wondering, Nintendo has finally given a solid release date for when the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch will launch. Come September 2018, the free online will end, and the $20 a year online subscription will be required to play games online. Nothing else was revealed, but more details were promised in the coming months.

:arrow: Source

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've said it before and I will say it again. Just shut the fuck up everyone and stop complaining. You all seem to can't stop complaining about a service neither you nor I know everything about. It is known that many things are being held back till the paid service kicks into gear. So what we have know is clearly not a true and full representation of what you will be paying for. Until you know what the service will be for real stop being a dam cry baby.
Oh please, complaining about trivial things is your average frustration venting therapy.
Let people vent in peace!

Reactions: Kioku

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've said it before and I will say it again. Just shut the fuck up everyone and stop complaining. You all seem to can't stop complaining about a service neither you nor I know everything about. It is known that many things are being held back till the paid service kicks into gear. So what we have know is clearly not a true and full representation of what you will be paying for. Until you know what the service will be for real stop being a dam cry baby.
We know it is paid. This is a contentious issue for some as free exists and has demonstrably worked for decades, and, barring certain aspects of mobile, bandwidth and server prices have tumbled while demands have not really changed.
We know Nintendo's history, both from previous consoles and what we have seen thus far.
We know other things to reference against, be it other services or concepts of networks in general.

Most people seem to be sticking within those lines. To that end you seem to be complaining about not much at all, and may do well to practice what you preach.

Reactions: Kioku

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know it is paid. This is a contentious issue for some as free exists and has demonstrably worked for decades, and, barring certain aspects of mobile, bandwidth and server prices have tumbled while demands have not really changed.
We know Nintendo's history, both from previous consoles and what we have seen thus far.
We know other things to reference against, be it other services or concepts of networks in general.

Most people seem to be sticking within those lines. To that end you seem to be complaining about not much at all, and may do well to practice what you preach.
I'm used to Nintendo being the type of company that throws curve balls alot, so I have somewhat tempered my expectations to that of which they could pull anything. I stick with my stand that they can be quite unpredictable at times as seen with how they start off the new year with suddenly selling card board quite litearly.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm used to Nintendo being the type of company that throws curve balls alot, so I have somewhat tempered my expectations to that of which they could pull anything. I stick with my stand that they can be quite unpredictable at times as seen with how they start off the new year with suddenly selling card board quite litearly.
They're thinking outside the box... Pretty damn literally... And it's getting ridiculously weird.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does that have to do with anything? Nintendo could become competent? Certainly possible as smaller people have deployed better and larger networks in the last 12 years, though with it being 12 years of them being morons and it being another year of whatever we have got thus far on the Switch... yeah.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does that have to do with anything? Nintendo could become competent? Certainly possible as smaller people have deployed better and larger networks in the last 12 years, though with it being 12 years of them being morons and it being another year of whatever we have got thus far on the Switch... yeah.
I'm at least a little hopefull since they finally had the bright idea of finally droping region locking

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see how region locking, an artificial and trivial local software tweak, has any bearing on the quality of network infrastructure, something which is a combined hardware and software approach, necessarily distributed across the world and with Nintendo having failed at several fundamental levels which I would have fired my intern for doing, before firing myself for allowing such incompetence in the first place.
My only ray of hope is that they finally appear to have uncoupled the network stack from the game it is playing and kicked it. Does not mean they will be competent, just that there is the possibility to patch it when said failures happen.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The mic solution is already available - the ridiculous octopus that connects the Switch to a phone and a headset, using the phone as the actual transmitter. It's entirely fair to assume that Nintendo wouldn't release a dedicated dongle if the Switch was voicechat-ready.
It's available...mostly in Japan. Haven't seen it anywhere in the States. Just as easy for them to enable USB headsets at any time they please.

As for special benefits of membership, up to +60 games a year, a messaging infrastructure that actually works, proper ID system, seamless matchmaking, discounts and multimedia available right there on the store goes to show just how far ahead XBL and PSN are compared to Nintendo. I'd like to remind you that Nintendo games are *still* attached to the system upon purchase - I can play my PS and XBO games wherever, whenever and on whatever console. NN doesn't even begin to compare.
Nintendo is also offering free games, and Sony/MS don't typically offer anything quality. We don't know what Nintendo's messaging service is going to look like yet, so that's kind of a moot point. "Seamless matchmaking" is a pretty generic phrase, you could say that about a lot of free online services. Nintendo's already offered discounts on Switch even without the subscription cost, and everybody just uses streaming services for multimedia or buys it somewhere cheaper anyway.

If we're being pragmatic about this and not just playing favorites, most people compare prices first and everything else takes a back seat.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand paying $20 a year for a subscription service with extra benefits, but locking online behind a paywall on top of that is very much an insult to all Switch owners.

I don't have an issue with paid online as a concept. It's understandable that companies can't provide online for free, and have servers to maintain. What I do have an issue with is Nintendo charging a subscription fee when they don't even have dedicated multiplayer servers for their games. Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, etc, all use Peer-to-Peer for online services. This means that, beyond a very small server acknowledgement, all network traffic goes between you and the other players. This is why Splatoon 2 is particularly unstable. Charging for a service that will seemingly never see proper online multiplayer is an insult.

In short, paid online with dedicated servers is fine. Paid online that is unstable, without dedicated servers, which is effectively monetizing network bandwidth that Nintendo doesn't own, is not.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can understand paying $20 a year for a subscription service with extra benefits, but locking online behind a paywall on top of that is very much an insult to all Switch owners.

I don't have an issue with paid online as a concept. It's understandable that companies can't provide online for free, and have servers to maintain. What I do have an issue with is Nintendo charging a subscription fee when they don't even have dedicated multiplayer servers for their games. Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, etc, all use Peer-to-Peer for online services. This means that, beyond a very small server acknowledgement, all network traffic goes between you and the other players. This is why Splatoon 2 is particularly unstable. Charging for a service that will seemingly never see proper online multiplayer is an insult.

In short, paid online with dedicated servers is fine. Paid online that is unstable, without dedicated servers, which is effectively monetizing network bandwidth that Nintendo doesn't own, is not.
That's the thing though, we're not sure it's gonna stay P2P. Makes sense before the subscription cost kicks in, but not after.

Also worth noting that P2P games still get released on XBL/PSN and Steam. Most recent example is Dragonball FighterZ. Only the lobbies are hosted by servers, but those are terrible and constantly kick people randomly.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: jt_1258

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

seems I was beat to the punch by @Xzi . pretty much what he said is what I was gonna say.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Eh don't worry there will be custom servers for people with hacked switches so people can get free online.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah Nintendo don't need to pay for anything really if its p2p they just want more money.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing -- they've delayed this online service a full year. If it was just them arbitrarily adding a fee on top of whatever they have now, they coulda done that back in Fall of 2017 when they were originally going to. So what are they working on that's delayed them a full year in rolling out this service? I really hope all that time was spent developing a good, modern online infrastructure. I'd be fine paying if it meant a much better network will all the bells and whistles of Nintendo's competitors. I can only dream that's what the delay was for.

Reactions: jt_1258

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing -- they've delayed this online service a full year. If it was just them arbitrarily adding a fee on top of whatever they have now, they coulda done that back in Fall of 2017 when they were originally going to. So what are they working on that's delayed them a full year in rolling out this service? I really hope all that time was spent developing a good, modern online infrastructure. I'd be fine paying if it meant a much better network will all the bells and whistles of Nintendo's competitors. I can only dream that's what the delay was for.
I suppose ya have a point, why would they delay it if it's just to milk more money from us

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Konic64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After confusing reports and lots of wondering, Nintendo has finally given a solid release date for when the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch will launch. Come September 2018, the free online will end, and the $20 a year online subscription will be required to play games online. Nothing else was revealed, but more details were promised in the coming months.

:arrow: Source
y'know i seriously thought nintendo would be the only one that doesn't pull this crap on the players. Nevermind

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I suppose ya have a point, why would they delay it if it's just to milk more money from us
I'm not even sure why people think that way. They've offered free online services for years. Now they're looking at a minor annual fee. It makes sense to assume this is for the betterment of the service. Rather than "nickel and diming" (that's still hilarious) the consumer.

y'know i seriously thought nintendo would be the only one that doesn't pull this crap on the players. Nevermind
Y'know? I wish gamers would do some research into why we pay for online services.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even sure why people think that way. They've offered free online services for years. Now they're looking at a minor annual fee. It makes sense to assume this is for the betterment of the service. Rather than "nickel and diming" (that's still hilarious) the consumer.

Y'know? I wish gamers would do some research into why we pay for online services.
look through the posts from in here, I've somewhat been on the hopeful side my self. I seriously hope they provide a great service. though I will admit, I kinda wanted it to come sooner so I could pay and get access to a bunch of nes/snes games, now that will be awesome

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
look through the posts from in here, I've somewhat been on the hopeful side my self. I seriously hope they provide a great service. though I will admit, I kinda wanted it to come sooner so I could pay and get access to a bunch of nes/snes games, now that will be awesome
I agree. There's already a promising incentive for the cheap service. Now we can only hope that what Nintendo is giving is a service worth paying for.

Last edited by Kioku,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.