Nintendo Switch gamestream app "Rainway" shows off new video, beta delayed to 2018

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 22, 2017.

1. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    Probably doesn't mean that a "kiddo" like me know what Nintendo will do definitivly, but in a discussion forum it should be allowed to write what you assume.
    There are many good reasons to assume this is the case. Many are listed in this thread. Also there are even posts of people who want this app and there reason why is an argument why Nintendo might not want to have this app. (They try to persuade developrs to port games to their switch and then the people don't buy the port because they can stream the superior PC version with a free app. The 3rd party support will die in no time)

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    The assumption is based on the given that the target audience for the app wants to play games beyond the control of nintendo. Unless you can convince me of another reason why people would want to buy this app, I wouldn't say it is based on "absolutely nothing".

I certainly can't argue with the notion that I don't know nintendo, because I don't. That's why it's called an assumption: I think they aren't going to allow an app that plays pretty much any potential VC nintendo might ever want to release right out of the gate. I can see why you think I'm a pessimist, just like I think you're naive. But until we know more, there's no way to know either stance for sure.

gamesquest1 likes this.
  3. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 23, 2017
  4. Anfroid
    This message by Anfroid has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 23, 2017
  5. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I bet this will never come out for the Switch

6. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 23, 2017
  7. ut2k4master
    This message by ut2k4master has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 23, 2017
  8. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Uhh... I had hoped I could delay it... but as it turns out...

time to get a switch..

9. anhminh
    This message by anhminh has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 25, 2017
  10. Thirty3Three
    Nov 25, 2017
  11. aykay55

aykay55 The Ideas Guy, Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Wherever there's food. And Nintendo.
    What the hell has become of this thread!?

Anyways, I think it’s a step in the right direction for the Switch, though I see no real benefit with this app and the likes of it from a sales perspective. If Nintendo really wants Switch owners to be happy, they need apps like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, or a browser at least. Guess we can play Overwatch on the Switch now! And Roblox.

12. Taleweaver
    This message by Taleweaver has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Nov 25, 2017, Reason: Getting real tired of this.
    Nov 25, 2017
  13. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    This is how development works. If the 'product' really isn't ready for public release, you push back the release date until most of the major issues are worked out. That's pretty standard...

14. zeveroth

zeveroth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    Like I said, 'same story as always'.

15. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Yup, it will never happen

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm happy that this app is causing such a buzz because it illustrates that the Switch has so few games that the prospect of playing games from other platforms is too palpable to ignore. It's as if people never saw a remote desktop before. If you want to play PC games on the go via streaming, why not just grab an NVidia Shield? They're cheap as all hell now and they work spectacularly, as @Tom Bombadildo can confirm.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  17. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Or they can just be worry about the effects of the app, regardless of how big the game library is.

Probably because they want everything on one device. Why carry both a Switch and a Nvidia Shield for streaming, when you may not have to?

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  18. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    I think this is a really cool idea to be honest. I mean yeah the technology itself isn't anything new, but integrating it with a game console is a fairly new concept. And it will add a HUGE amount of games to the Switch library. I'm all for it. Has Nintendo ever come forward and actually approved this (I lost track)? Or is that why its being released for free because it wasn't approved.

19. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    no, they havent

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Why carry a Switch at all? It has, like, 2-3 good gaemz. :^)

21. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    So you can play those 2-3 good gaemz almost anywhere and everywhere, obviously.

22. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Good exclusive games. That is the only reason people even bother to buy Nintendo console at all.

23. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    As opposed to the thousands of great games only available on PC? Sure, I guess.

24. Nalaflow3rs

Nalaflow3rs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2017
    Canada
    If I get a switch; Mostly likely when this comes out would love to try this so badd! :>

25. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Great? Yes. Thousand? Hahahahaha... no.

Maybe about 50 or so are worth playing and most of them are multi-platform.

26. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you think that there's only 50 good PC games out there after literally decades of being on the market, you're out of your mind. PC is easily the richest platform in terms of library, it always has been.

27. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Well no, not at all. A handled console with some of the actual multy-platform games... That's a VERY good reason to buy it. I only have one of the exclusives, and the rest of my games on it are multy, the ones that I consider worth to play out of my house or even in my own bed.