Nintendo president says company “must consider” removing region locks

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I considered that under controlling regional content :) Localization, marketing, PR, licensing, trademarking and other intellectual property issues, etc.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet the previous consoles being region free weren't really an issue before, like the PS3, PSP, DS, GBA, etc.
You need to be charitable. The GameBoy Advance is nearly 15 years old. The current Nintendo, and its international plans, are in a very different state compared to then, just as the GameBoy Advance had a very different approach compared to the original NES ecosystem. Neither should we throw the current Nintendo in with Sony, who also operate independently and differently.

Otherwise we're unreasonable consumer who only ask why we don't get so-and-so feature, instead of actually asking why the system manufacturers and publishers may want region protection.

Reactions: gamefan5

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to be charitable. The GameBoy Advance is nearly 15 years old. The current Nintendo, and its international plans, are in a very different state compared to then, just as the GameBoy Advance had a very different approach compared to the original NES ecosystem. Neither should we throw the current Nintendo in with Sony, who also operate independently and differently.

Otherwise we're unreasonable consumer who only ask why we don't get so-and-so feature, instead of actually asking why the system manufacturers and publishers may want region protection.

Okay, care to explain the PS3 then, which is still having games made for it? How is that region free? Or the DS? Never mind the GBA, but the fact is the PS3 has no region lock and still sells quite well.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, care to explain the PS3 then, which is still having games made for it? How is that region free? Or the DS? Never mind the GBA, but the fact is the PS3 has no region lock and still sells quite well.

Consoles sales are not the point.
Licensing issues and fees, and price regulations are the biggest reasons for region locking as of today.
For nintendo, it's that and something more: Equal distribution of profits between its branches.
Basically, nintendo is STILL using region locking because its outdated business infrastructure depends on it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Man, Nintendo is just on a roll recently. Now lets hope they actually aren't just "considering" it, but they actually do so. Nintendo's incompetency is getting pretty old these days, they really need to step it up and stop fucking around like it's 1990.

Blah blah blah proper account system blah blah somewhat competent in my book blah blah.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Licensing issues and fees, and price regulations are the biggest reasons for region locking as of today.
For nintendo, it's that and something more: Equal distribution of profits between its branches.
Basically, nintendo is STILL using region locking because its outdated business infrastructure depends on it.
Except that when Iwata took over Nintendo he consolidated nearly all of Nintendo's operation to NoJ.

NoA, NoE, NoAU, etc pretty much reduced to the role of PR and distribution.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona 4 Arena, the only retail PS3 game with region lock, has it because Atlus was concerned that with,

* English version having Japanese text + voice as an option
* Release date only a week apart

would open the flood gate of reverse importation. To be honest, reverse importation can be mitigated by spreading the release date apart and removing Japanese text (language barrier).

In the end if wasn't reverse importing they should have worried about hurting sales, if you remember correctly that led to a lot of bad press, fan backlash and boycotting of that game. Which is why the sequel was released with no region lock what-so-ever. Plus it helps that Sega now owns Atlus too.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Except that when Iwata took over Nintendo he consolidated nearly all of Nintendo's operation to NoJ.

I have never heard of that. Source?
Last time I checked, each divisions still handles the sales of their own regions.
If it was no longer the case. It wouldn't make any sense to keep region locking for sales and licensing issues.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divisions_of_Nintendo

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo DS wasn't region locked. They should learn from it. It has a ton of games. I still believe that in the end, it's the consumers choice whether they want to import games or not. Having two consoles of different regions just beat the purpose of portability plus it'll be redundant it just doesn't make sense.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If region locking didn't exist there'd be a lot of people who'd buy the American 3DS version of games they want because they weren't released in Europe, such as Shin Megami Tensei IV which now is on eShop but no actual physical release for the fans.

Come on Nintendo get rid of region locking and improve your crappy online services (don't jump straight to pre-loading games all of the sudden).

Reactions: Deleted-236924

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's still a bullshit business practice that needs eradication.

Reactions: Kunoha

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said, Iwata is the very definition of hypocrite. Back in GCN-era he criticized online services, citing that kids have no access to a credit card and no one wants them. He says one thing then changes later on.
I'm going to complain about him changing his mind and I'm also going to complain when he doesn't change his mind.

Iwata: What do you want directly from me? :cry:

There are games that I would buy from Europe, at least, that haven't made it here.

Reactions: Celice

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Essentially, each branch is responsible for, in their designated regions: localization, marketing, PR, licensing, trademarking and other intellectual property issues, customer support, fiscal reporting, regional transactions, legal handlings, R&D both internal and public, etc.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
as long as Nintendo keeps these archaic region codes they will continue to fail. it's not 1980 anymore you can't just do whatever the fuck you want!

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you see what's happening? In 2010 Nintendo states that they would have pushed games for worldwide location. If the region lock is gone, there's no reason foe them to localize great games that aren't going to sell I a million years (Xenoblade).
Not that I care, as I go DD only. You guys are on your own.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Can't you see what's happening? In 2010 Nintendo states that they would have pushed games for worldwide location. If the region lock is gone, there's no reason foe them to localize great games that aren't going to sell I a million years (Xenoblade).
Not that I care, as I go DD only. You guys are on your own.

aWWOq9s.jpg

Batman voice: So this is where we part ways, Viper. Farewell.

P.S.: Sorry mods but couldn't resist. :P

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Not really bothered with it, though it is sometimes frustrating to see a certain game I want to buy is only available in PAL while my 3DS is NTSC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-