serious_sean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was upset when they said zelda wasn't coming out last november. They said it'd be out in april, because they were making sure it was awesome. Since wind waker was such a disappointment ( with its obvious lack of dungeons and "point the ship in a direction then go make a sandwich" overworld ), I was almost a bit pleased that they were taking the time to do it right.

I was pissed when they said that it was going to be on the Wii, and that it was going to have added functionality. It's not right to hold back a game just because the ship is sinking for your current console.

Now I am really pissed that Zelda is going to be on GC nearly a month later than the Wii.

The game has been finished for MONTHS now. It's simply one more twist of the knife into fans' stomachs. ANd I've had it.

i'll be first in line for zeldaTP-NGC.torrent

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
that's a pretty goofy response for someone with over 1000 forum posts.
rofl2.gif

I guess it could upset people that nintendo is so late with the ngc release.

btw expect to be bashed a lot, people in here dont like a bad tongue towards nintendo
unsure.gif

BvG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dude, there are enough games to play while you're waiting for that game. And what about replaying Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime? Don't be so sad about a late game, it will happen more often than you could imagine
ohmy.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have to agree with serious sean...the only reason why Nintendo is holding back the Cube version of Zelda TP, is to push the sales of the Wii version...

I bet the Cube version hasn't been touched since E3, and now they're just working on the Wii version

what pisses me off even more, is that Nintendo held back the launch date and price of the Wii for so long, only to announce that the price is the highest they could go anyway...they said the Wii will cost no more than 250$ like 3 months ago, so it couldn't cost any more than 249$...

and they also said the Wii will launch before the PS3...

so, they let us wait for the price and launch date since E3, just to announce that they didn't keep any of their promises...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It wouldn't surprise me if the new zelda never comes out on the gamecube. The gamecube will be well and truly finished when the wii is released.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think everyone forgets that the Wii is backwards compatible and plays GameCube games..they obviously want to shill the game for the Wii, and while that's unfortunate you can't say that you didn't see it coming. This is the window where bunches of titles quietly transition to the launch window of the new console. The GameCube was left out of so many developer plans because of the small userbase - the fact that it's on the way out isn't helping..but I think that even they forget that the Wii is still backwards compatible meaning anyone with a Wii will still be able to pick up and play their GameCube games! In fact, the Wii will increase the GameCube userbase to record levels!

It's unfortunate, but oh well. Personally, my launch-time GameCube is finally having trouble reading discs, so for $250 getting a unit that plays both my GameCube games and Wii games will be a nice treat.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
First off, lets just get this out of the way, Twilight Princess was something like 85% complete not too long ago, so no they weren't holding it back just for the Wii. The past few months were spent refining the game, and really, the more development time... the better the game. But I hear you my brothers in arms! And while I agree with your outrage, while alot of my reasons are the same, some are not.

For example, I've not been fond of the idea of both a Wii and GameCube version of the game: Zelda isn't just some 3rd party Madden clone that can be spread to 50 different consoles at once, I feel having two versions diminishes the specialness and uniqueness of the game, as it were (and I don't feel future ports to future consoles count in this, IE: OOT being ported to GameCube since the system obviously couldn't play N64 titles). I personally think the second they decided to put it on the Wii, the GameCube version should have been scrapped, or vice-versa. For what I said above, and because it creates un-needed conflict. It took me ages to decide to get the GameCube version instead of the Wii (a decision I've since changed my mind on since the GameCube release was delayed).

The real reason the GameCube version is still being delayed is to defeat that confliction I mentioned above. The fans will hate to wait another month, and will instead go for the Wii version, and in doing so also purchase a Wii. It's a brilliant strategy, actually. So yes, Nintendo are in this for themselves. They want to profit off Zelda fans' inability to wait. And well they should, as corporate strategy is how profit is made. So while I'm pissed off myself, I can still atleast understand their mindset on this one. Also, once again, be grateful that they postponed the release of the game initially, as it will ultimately equal a better game in the long run.

Sure, I was really upset about this yesterday, but the way I see it, Nintendo barely ever lets their fans down. Did they pull a Sony on alot of their recent announcements? Hell yes they did. But hey, atleast they don't do that every time. I think we can be forgiving when it comes to this, because it's such a rarity for Nintendo. My mindset at the moment is that they've done so many positive things, that they deserve a couple of "get out of jail free" cards when it comes to their occasional screw-ups.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new zelda never comes out on the gamecube. The gamecube will be well and truly finished when the wii is released.
Also, adgloride, it wouldn't surprise me either. Infact, ever since the announcement of the different release dates I've been thinking that if the Wii sales are an unmitigated success (which they will be)... that they might just cancel the GameCube version all together. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didnt you guys hear the bell tolling for the GC version once they announced "added functionality" for the Wii version? C'mon guys, its not so hard to realize that Nintendo doesn't care about the Gamecube anymore. Super Paper Mario was pushed to the Wii; its the same thing that happened to the GBA once the DS came out. Since the DS can play GBA games, well, why bother developing solely for the GBA anymore?

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Didnt you guys hear the bell tolling for the GC version once they announced "added functionality" for the Wii version? C'mon guys, its not so hard to realize that Nintendo doesn't care about the Gamecube anymore. Super Paper Mario was pushed to the Wii; its the same thing that happened to the GBA once the DS came out. Since the DS can play GBA games, well, why bother developing solely for the GBA anymore?

WORD!

but anyway, why bother arguing with people about something you shuld be exited about? ;D SET THE WII FREE!

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Heh
sleep.gif
I'd have to agree with these guys... if you're sooo pissed off and have waited SO LONG, you could have already saved up to buy a Wii AND the given BETTER VERSION of Twilight Princess on release instead of getting 'pissed off' everytime the GC version is delayed.

'kay I'm not sure if it's the better version but if you're really excited about the game so much you'd be crying on the internet about it, you'd have atleast some effort to atleast play it when you want it bad.

(There are quite a number of GBA games actually that went to the DS instead since I guess their devs realized it's better to develop their games on a superior system.)

Anyway, you can cry on my shoulder. Waah. But mind the spikes on them.
rofl2.gif

M

mario5555

It wouldn't surprise me if the new zelda never comes out on the gamecube.  The gamecube will be well and truly finished when the wii is released.

While I agree that the game shouldn't have been delayed (frankly I was enamored by the gray alternate world version in the older screenshots, then dismayed by the new psuedo reality look they added into the new revision of the game)

I don't think they'll shaft the GC audience, by not releasing it, but they should have did a simultaneous release or at the very least didn't delay it more than a week or so. That doesn't show they have faith in letting people decide to get what verison of the game they want without jeprodizing their system launch and their ONE killer app for the new system.

They aren't by any means not showing any GC love as these titles indicate.

Baten Kaitos Origins
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2
Tomb Raider: Legend (this is a suprise given when it was released on other systems so long ago)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

So as you see Nintendo is treating the GC waaaay better then they did the N64 back when it was on it's last legs. (for all the trouble we saw Conker during the end but were shafted not getting Sin and Punishment) so I'll give them that much anyway.

But with the backward compatibility (as Qrayzie so adeptly points out) there is no reason to shy away from touting those games out and being afraid of low sales since they'll play on either system regardless.

QUOTE said:
Super Paper Mario was pushed to the Wii

Wth!!! Grrr....(removes from list up above...) Now that pisses me off.

Oh and Sean, here I thought I was the only person who felt the same way about Windwaker, you summed my feelings up perfectly.
"(with its obvious lack of dungeons and "point the ship in a direction then go make a sandwich" overworld )"

biggrin.gif
Never seen it said better.

One thing I will balk on is Ace saying we SHOULD forgive them and let it slip. (Their backing out on promises made)

Heck no I don't belive in that, if we let that go then they'll start doing other things later and we'll say "oh it's ok, you don't do it that often, at least you're not like Sony"

Sorry but complacently breeds bias and I don't see any reason why I should let Nintendo get away with it, just because THEY ARE Nintendo. That's no reason to expect them to NOT be on top of their game since they have been in this buisiness longer than their other two competitors.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Three things: Number one, Nintendo made the right choice for them. Having both versions of Twilight Princess released at the same time would only have hurt Wii's sales. Because you have to realise, without Zelda, Nintendo has nothing. It's their only 1st party title at launch, everything else is just the standard 3rd party barrage that comes at every launch. By delaying Metroid Prime 3, they hurt themselves. But taking away the temporary exclusivity of Zelda: TP Wii, that would have been suicide. Why do you think Sony makes Rockstar sign temporary exclusivity deals when it comes to the Grand Theft Auto series? Because they knew that if people had the choice, they would buy the Xbox or PC versions as the hardware is more capable so the graphics and draw-distance and such don't have to be stifled.

Number two, Super Paper Mario was always a Wii title. Sure they said it was for GameCube, but in every single screenshot and video you'll notice a weird box/cursor thingy that follows the character as they jump and such. That's clearly the Wii cursor dealy making the character jump with a flick of the Wiimote. And even if you don't believe me, you'll see when the game is released, and that I was correct in my assumption. And number three, I wasn't saying we should give Nintendo a break because they're Nintendo, I was saying everyone makes mistakes, and they've been good in the past with this kind of thing. They're allowed a few screw-ups now and then (on purpose or not). Whereas certain other companies that shall remain nameless screwed up constantly, and then continued to do so all the while with a stupid grin on their face.

Heh, does no one else see a certain level of irony in this? When Nintendo rushes the product out, ultimately hurting it... to make their waiting fanbase happy (ala LOZ: Wind Waker), we berate them. And when they delay their product to make it better for their fanbase... we berate them. They just can't win with us, but in the end, we'll be singing their praises as Twilight Princess takes it's place as the greatest game of all time. By that I mean, at the moment, Ocarina of Time is considered the greatest game of all time (as numerous polls and other things have shown). But if LOZ:TP is larger, prettier, with uber-enhanced mechanics, and a heaping helping of innovation, that would make it OOT's superior (theoretically).

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, does no one else see a certain level of irony in this? When Nintendo rushes the product out, ultimately hurting it... to make their waiting fanbase happy (ala LOZ: Wind Waker), we berate them. And when they delay their product to make it better for their fanbase... we berate them.
Nintendo never gets a break because the fanbase wont allow it. It's like that with every video-game company though...but people do have a higher standard for Nintendo and its games, whether they like them or not.

I think what people have lost sight of, and what Ace hinted at, is that Nintendo is out to make money. They dont run a charity-Nintendo is going to try its hardest to wring every dollar out of the Wii and Zelda at launch, duh. I would too if I was in charge of the company, I mean, thats two HUGE cash cows right there. If you are mad about Zelda being delayed for the GCN, dont stand there and lie to me for a second that you wont buy it for the Wii.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Heh, does no one else see a certain level of irony in this? When Nintendo rushes the product out, ultimately hurting it... to make their waiting fanbase happy (ala LOZ: Wind Waker), we berate them. And when they delay their product to make it better for their fanbase... we berate them.

Nintendo never gets a break because the fanbase wont allow it. It's like that with every video-game company though...but people do have a higher standard for Nintendo and its games, whether they like them or not.

I think what people have lost sight of, and what Ace hinted at, is that Nintendo is out to make money. They dont run a charity-Nintendo is going to try its hardest to wring every dollar out of the Wii and Zelda at launch, duh. I would too if I was in charge of the company, I mean, thats two HUGE cash cows right there. If you are mad about Zelda being delayed for the GCN, dont stand there and lie to me for a second that you wont buy it for the Wii.

Oh yes, as I said before, it's a brilliant strategy. I was planning on buying it for GameCube... just because I was going with ol' reliable, rather than the untested and possibly faulty tacked on Wii controls, no offense intended towards the Wii controls in general. But because of this delay, as a fan, I'm buying it for Wii, and as such I have to buy a Wii to play it on. I mean don't get me wrong, I was going to buy one eventually, but because of this marketing strategy on Nintendo's part, I'm becoming an early adopter. Long story short: their plan worked perfectly.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
And I hope it works out well for you Ace. Seeing your story and all. I mean if there was one person whom I think would be kinda justified enough to whine about this, it would be you. But you didn't. You did what a real fan would do.
grog.gif

M

mario5555

I see it just fine, however there's one main difference between them and Sony and MS.

They've been at it for over 22 years (not counting Arcade stuff and Famicom) in the US market alone. That's why I expect more from them. Is it fair? No. But neither is life. I expect certain things out of certain people and some more than others. Again it's not fair, but it's the bar of expectation set before me and what I've come to expect. Simple enough.

Exactly.
wink.gif

QUOTEI think what people have lost sight of, and what Ace hinted at, is that Nintendo is out to make money. They dont run a charity-Nintendo is going to try its hardest to wring every dollar out of the Wii and Zelda at launch, duh. I would too if I was in charge of the company, I mean, thats two HUGE cash cows right there. If you are mad about Zelda being delayed for the GCN, dont stand there and lie to me for a second that you wont buy it for the Wii.

I really could care less if it was delayed, I've only bought one of their "franchise" titles on launch and that was Metroid 3 (Super Metroid) Frankly I'm gonna keep my money safely tucked away because I'm that shallow of a person that I want a black Rev/Wii.

Does that make sense? To a resonable person...yes. (If I wanted a certain color car, I wouldn't buy a different color one just to have said car) To a gamer...Heck No (They can't fathom the inscrutiatingly long wait that comes with it)

I've owned every Nintendo console (note not handheld) ever made, but I've never bought a single one of them at launch.

Why?

NES -It was new and I didn't know much about it, I was only 8 when it came out.
SNES -Nothing I wanted to play that bad, I had my Genesis and my NES all was right in the world until I saw Metroid 3, then I had to get one.
N64 -Not until they released the first "colored" console (Jungle Green DK64 bundle) did I drop some money for it.
GC- It wasn't until the limited edition Zelda Collection and a nice price of $100 that made me interested enough in the 'Cube to put my money where my mouth was. Wind Waker, Smash Bros., even Mario weren't enough to make me fork over my money for one. And I wasn't the only one of my age bracket (The Nintendo Generation if you will) to do so.

And that's why I won't put out money for a Rev/Wii just yet and why I'll wait until all the dust has settled on the Zelda launches before making my mind up which version is the one I want the most.

How can I do such an insane thing, well I have patience. (Plus I'm a cheapskate, but that's an entirely different discussion)

And that's why I can wait, sit back and comment on things like Nintendo's floibles, because I've seen every launch up till now, and how they've handled them.

This is the most important one for them ever and they know it. Just a shame they have to let some promises made by them go by the way side in exchange for them to be able to take advantage of that and be sucessful.

Lastly they know they lost the "Heat" they had from E3 and they have to bo the 1000lb. bull in the china shop coming out of the gate and not the whimpering 100lb. dog who got scoulded by it's master if they want to regain some of their former glory.

Take that as you will, but that's how I see it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.