Nintendo issues DMCA takedowns for specific Switch games to art library sharing site SteamGridDB

1668707174976.png

Nintendo is yet again back into its old copyright takedowns, issuing DMCAs.
This time, the affected site has been SteamGridDB, which many people have been using to create image assets for Steam and non-Steam games when added manually into it. Many more use it to link their ROMs through emulation into Steam as non-Steam games.

The Steam Grid database website has gained popularity over the years, more so due to the recent surge in Steam Deck users and their use of EmuDeck to setup their emulation libraries. EmuDeck itself provides a tool called Steam Rom Manager, which allows the user to configure their Steam image assets based on a community database that supplies all of the images detected from a specific ROM name, and from there the images are applied into Steam itself based on the grabbed images from the database if it finds a match.

At the moment, the website received DMCA takedowns for the following Switch games' images:
  • Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
  • Splatoon 3
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Other consoles and games haven't been affected.
SteamGridDB didn't offer any kind of ROM downloads nor links to them, the only offered material are plain images for a wide variety of games, and many of them are user-supplied and/or custom made by several users and supporters.

With this, Nintendo has started DMCA'ing websites over images.
Has Nintendo gone too far? What's gonna be next? All mentions of Mario in non-Nintendo websites getting DMCA'd?
Only time will tell.

:arrow: Breath of the Wild entry at SteamGridDB
:arrow: BotW Backup at Archive.org
:arrow: Source

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo is yet again back into its old copyright takedowns, issuing DMCAs.
This time, the affected site has been SteamGridDB, which many people have been using to create image assets for Steam and non-Steam games when added manually into it. Many more use it to link their ROMs through emulation into Steam as non-Steam games.

The Steam Grid database website has gained popularity over the years, more so due to the recent surge in Steam Deck users and their use of EmuDeck to setup their emulation libraries. EmuDeck itself provides a tool called Steam Rom Manager, which allows the user to configure their Steam image assets based on a community database that supplies all of the images detected from a specific ROM name, and from there the images are applied into Steam itself based on the grabbed images from the database if it finds a match.

At the moment, the website received DMCA takedowns for the following Switch games' images:
  • Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
  • Splatoon 3
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Other consoles and games haven't been affected.
SteamGridDB didn't offer any kind of ROM downloads nor links to them, the only offered material are plain images for a wide variety of games, and many of them are user-supplied and/or custom made by several users and supporters.

With this, Nintendo has started DMCA'ing websites over images.
Has Nintendo gone too far? What's gonna be next? All mentions of Mario in non-Nintendo websites getting DMCA'd?
Only time will tell.

:arrow: Breath of the Wild entry at SteamGridDB
:arrow: BotW Backup at Archive.org
:arrow: Source
Nintendo should spend more time on making games than funding its legal team and solicitors.

Wow they hunt down a tiny steamdeck site for providing image material used as cover art.

Next theyll try pull the emulators.

But meanwhile, Google is perfectly safe as it links to millions of Nintendo images of its games.

Hell these days google make zero attempt to prevent piracy and its so easy to google and get in top results direct links to those sites providing links to Nintendo roms.

Including its double fuck you over famboys of a pokemon game, yup violet and scarlet as yup its what arceus should have been, but its back to its same old cash cow tactics of making 2x copies of the same fucking game, but locking pokemon out.

Remember when gamers used to kick off and take legal action against game studios charging extra for content as dlc thar was included on the game.

Well guess what, since dawn of pokemon, all of them have been included in the game, but Nintendo lock them out and force you to buy the alt versions.

Or they take legal action against those who simply create cheat codes to give you what you rightfully paid for and have access to what is on the game you purchased.

I used to be a fan of Nintendo, but now I just wish they would fuck off, all they care about is how they can keep recycling the same shit.

And they do so because their fans help are so loyal and deluded.

All they ever do is keep rehashing old inferior hardware with bullshit gimmicks to recycle its same old crap.

But to be fair they've always been the same because they know they have a strong fantasy they'll never change and will continue to keep using old cheap hardware passing the expense onto the devs or consumer.

Is there really any need to buy a Nintendo console, when its highly likely as they remain inferior and stuck in the old ways that its consoles are so easy to emulate on most devices.

And even its new consoles dont really need strong hardware to get almost perfect playable performance.

And why should gamers really invest in their new consoles to be told the same bullshit excuse how they promise to do better this time regarding this party support.

Sorry, but we all know that this simply means that you've given again enough juice so third parties can port all the excellent titles you failed to get yet again.

Tho, you won't give them enough juice so they can support your console with its future new titles, because you know if gamers had the option to buy that over same old Nintendo recycled titles, your scared of the risk of competition.

So you do this deliberately so your same old recycled shit has little to nothing to compete with.

I mean, who pays full whack for an old game they already own vs a Nintendo title..... ohh but saying that Nintendo fans have proven they're perfectly happy to rebuy all the lazy shit Nintendo ported to its new console.

And per usual the loyal famboys make excuses to defend..... like its ok to buy a new console to play old wii u ports incase you missed it.

Erm nah, you didnt miss them, if you owned a wii u its very highly likely that you also purchased it back then.

You just don't want to admit that not only were they cheap trying the 2nd time to clone the tablet market and steal that market, they litrally ported all of the same games from its failed console.

And the console didn't fail because of your excuse to defend back then, gamers didn't know it was a new console.

It failed because it was seen for what it was, a piss poor inferior console and devs have already been there, done that on the ps3/360, the wii u offered nothing new, so it didn't get support.

And still now, they haven't exactly supported them, just the usual old ports very little really worthy.

And we look how we have another open world Nintendo game that runs like shit, you guessed it right, the new pokemon suffers the same poor frame drops as breath of the dog turd had, and your not even in a crowded area.

Simply having a tree in the background causes it to run slow.

And whats next, all the dlc they had planned for breath of the turd eventually releasing but as a new game and whats the delay over, as we all know it will still run the same.

Or delayed for their next last gen revamp to be a launch title and increase its sales.

And rinse repeat typical Nintendo all over again.
Post automatically merged:

If he is a gamer then surely he must be bored playing the same shit everywhere console from the past gens already had and you already own.

So what incentive is there to go out and buy a Nintendo $witch when the other consoles are bringing new titles we haven't played before.

Do you:
A) buy Mario kart all over again, then pay even more to get new content youd have thought would have come as standard- though Mario kart in itself is just another typical Nintendo recycled title.

Or
B) buy a completely new title on either of the other two consoles that is completely new and you've never played or owned it before.

Well I know where my money goes and why over the years my Nintendo collection just keeps on getting smaller and smaller.

Maybe also why the same applies in game stores, how Nintendo section these days smaller.

Last edited by Spider_Man,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintendo are an absolute fucking joke now it's bad enough they just keep porting the same rehashed shit over and over or the switch can't even come close to competing with the real consoles and it's full of 95% indies and shovleware you can play on your fucking phones but they are now litterally worse than apple. remember the good old days when apple tried to sue anyone that used anything resembling their shitty crapple logo? look what nintendo is doing now! they are literally nintAPPLE!

Reactions: peteruk

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If he is a gamer then surely he must be bored playing the same shit everywhere console from the past gens already had and you already own.

So what incentive is there to go out and buy a Nintendo $witch when the other consoles are bringing new titles we haven't played before.

Do you:
A) buy Mario kart all over again, then pay even more to get new content youd have thought would have come as standard- though Mario kart in itself is just another typical Nintendo recycled title.

Or
B) buy a completely new title on either of the other two consoles that is completely new and you've never played or owned it before.

Well I know where my money goes and why over the years my Nintendo collection just keeps on getting smaller and smaller.

Maybe also why the same applies in game stores, how Nintendo section these days smaller.
Um... Do you know who Satoru Iwata is? or rather... was...?
He was the CEO of Nintendo years ago, a couple of years before the switch even get out

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update: the people at SGDB seem to have decided to bring the BOTW page back up, and now people are uploading grids again.

Edit: apparently the page was actually up the entire time, although I'm guessing it showed that message in the yellow grid at first. My bad. Still, people are back to uploading.

zelda.png

All is good, for now.

Last edited by James_,

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is misleading, the page was never taken down. Just the individual assets they requested.
Oh, fair enough, I thought the page was down earlier but I didn't check. Sorry.

wait Zennn did you actually make an account just to reply to me?

Last edited by James_,

andeers

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I laugh at me about how much of a Xenoblade fanboy I am. Just to see Xenoblade on this list makes me proud like "there it is, getting the attention it deserves"

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the well written overview explaining SteamGridDB and EmuDeck :)

Regarding Nintendo... *sigh* ... -.-

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I see no issues with this to be honest.
It's obvious what those images are used for and they are within their rights.
I can't be hassled to change most of my non-steam games images, a lot of them even have the wrong game picture since I use an app that automatically adds them.

Reactions: Legitendo

Dontuuch17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait till they find out my local takeaway has Mario on the kids menu page!
This reminds me of when I went down to Mexico and saw the cover pic from Sonic adventure in the sign for a mechanic.

Oh how little I knew back then.

As far as the takedowns. Weren't a lot of the affected titles leaked??

Reactions: Lostbhoy

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fvck Nintendo. They only did it out of spite due to the "surge" of Steam Deck users emulating Switch games which look a heck of a lot better than their native console. Nintendo's a sore losers, go figure.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I just find it amusing.

The suits at Nintendo are clearly angry, but can't attack the actual "problem" in any meaningful capacity, so they go and shake their stick by taking down random quality-of-life stuff instead. Real North Korea tactics.

Man I love legal emulation.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i mean, the website and the users are probably free to try and argue they remixed things enough to fall under fair use or whatever.
but most images aren't really and nintendo is likely well within their right to not allow this website to use its art assets for this cause

Thats dead now sadly, but I'm sure it will appear on other sites.
over only ever seen one archive of nintendo power and the scan quality was abysmal for every issue i looked at, barely readable

Fvck Nintendo. They only did it out of spite due to the "surge" of Steam Deck users emulating Switch games which look a heck of a lot better than their native console. Nintendo's a sore losers, go figure.
do they actually? cause i have yet to find anything 3d that really runs better on the steamdeck. for the games i tried, i'd call the performance adequate, just barely good enough on SD. but there's stutters and framedrop and pacing issues, not to mention graphical glitches and flashing and handheld mode only.

What's going to be next? Suing fan art?
for what its worth, they'll have a much harder time with actual fanart, compared to people just photoshopping 5 official pieces of their copyrighted artwork together for the sole purpose of enhancing peoples very very very likely pirating experience

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps