• Replies 193
  • Likes 5

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't think the WiiU's novelty factor is all that great. Sure, it's a decent enough feature and worth having, but it doesn't carry the same excitement factor as "oh wow... control a console with your body!" which the Wii had.

If they allowed, say, up to 4 pads to connect to the system, then it might find a use as a way to really reinvent the board game. Each player having his own screen could overcome one of the biggest obstacles computer interpretations of board games have. It could even lead to a whole new genre of family turn-based games. But firstly it would get pretty expensive bundling controllers with the system and secondly I just don't see it having a massive appeal.

So tell me, how are the Xbox One and PS4 any more innovative?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So tell me, how are the Xbox One and PS4 any more innovative?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Just because something is innovative doesn't mean it's good, engaging or worthwhile - in the end, that's what matters most. It'd be "innovative" to make a console's insides filled with raspberry jam, but I doubt people would be happy with that.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they appropriated the blame to themselves in a way that won't scare off investors. Basically they said sales could be easily fixed if they pick up on marketing, as if it has absolutely nothing to do with hardware, software, or third party support.

You're implying any of this stopped them before. I know it's a different game now, but throughout its whole life, the Wii had shit third party support, most of its good titles were first party, and the gap between it and its competitors was MASSIVE.

The masses don't give a shit about hardware specs and all that. They just don't want to buy the 300 dollar controller they think the Wii U is.

I'm sure as hell that if they flat-out told people it was a new console, changed the name to something that doesn't sound like an add-on, they would at the very least have a minor sales increase.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Just because something is innovative doesn't mean it's good, engaging or worthwhile - in the end, that's what matters most. It'd be "innovative" to make a console's insides filled with raspberry jam, but I doubt people would be happy with that.

What's wrong with raspberry jam?

Um... I think I'm going to just go ahead and repeat my last post:

Go right ahead

Reactions: Foxi4

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What's the appeal of the other consoles?

I don't know. If I was going to get any of the next gen it would be a Wii U. But that's beside the point. I'm *not* most people and most people and most people want a PS3 or XBOX. I guess it's got something to do with the power of the hardware or the third party support that has historically been a given for MS and Sony consoles.

But my comments had nothing to do with the appeal of the XBOX and PS. I was talking about the appeal of the WiiU. The Wii appealed to people that wouldn't normally buy a games console. Nintendo are trying to do the same again with the gamepad. My point is that this gimmik is not as big a draw as the Wiimote. And that has nothing to do with any other consoles.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Your implying any of this stopped them before. I know its a different game now, but through out its whole life, the Wii had shit third party support, most of its good titles were first party, and the gap between it and its competitors was MASSIVE.

The masses dont give a shit about hardware specs and all that. They just don't want to buy the 300 dollar controller they think the Wii U is.

Im sure as hell, if they flat-out told people it was a new console, changed the name to something that doesn't sound like an add-on, they would at the very least have a minor sales increase.
I'm not saying their marketing isn't a problem. It's horrible, and probably their biggest problem right now.

This is just a (clever) way of comforting investors. It draws attention to the main issue, which can be fixed easily, and away from the many smaller issues, which will take much more time to fix.

In the end, some decent marketing will certainly help the Wii U, but it's not the whole problem.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish this damn thread would be closed already. The only thing it's done so far is create tension.

You know, that's kind of hypocritical when you're the one jumping down so many people's throat and pulling your "Ha ha, just kidding! I'm a trole!"-shtick incessantly.

If you want the thread to die down, then stop posting in it.

Reactions: chavosaur

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You know, that's kind of hypocritical when you're the one jumping down so many people's throat and pulling your "Ha ha, just kidding! I'm a trole!"-shtick incessantly.

If you want the thread to die down, then stop posting in it.
Woah there cowboy. Let's all take a step back, calm down, and blame Canada.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Take it easy on the coffee randomizer
You're not on a post rush or going for a big message count right?
380_1.gif

On topic: I can't see Nintendo getting a easy and fast increase in sells only by tweaking software and putting some first-party games.. ..It may happen, but probably will take much longer than it should (or a bit less longer depending on how much Nintendo will want to get hurt with a price cut).
I mean, hardware seems to be a big part of the problem (hdd, ram, etc), and it's something that Nintendo would not try to tweak anymore.. ..and shadowing this part of the problem with software, may take time (especially when you have less help from devs..)
I doubt that Nintendo will go heavy on some good marketing also (it'll probably stay more on the family safe kind of ads..)

..by now they should get some lessons from the Nazi's propaganda to change the moods of people! (about the WiiU, not the Jews obviously :P )

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new consoles will have consistent third party support and are region free? Which in my book are good things.

Like shooters! And more shooters! And sports! And more shooters! And look.... a shooter that has a bald overly buff protagonist... and another shooter! And a dog... In a shooter!

Reactions: the_randomizer

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
probably the only company that openly blames themselves.

not a marketing issue with the people but with developers. I think they should to try to work with indie devs and engine creators like Unity and Monkey and have them support game making for the wii u.
then probably the library will increase. no wonder they want to port android to the wii u.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like shooters! And more shooters! And sports! And more shooters! And look.... a shooter that has a bald overly buff protagonist... and another shooter! And a dog... In a shooter!

Nintendo Fanbase:

>When Retro is working on a game, they pray to their Nintendo gods for "Metroid Prime 4"
>When any other shooter is being discussed, the game is "bad"

>Hate sports games
>Love Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Golf etc.

Reactions: chavosaur

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was once Nintendo's biggest draw is now becoming their biggest drawback. Most gamers (especially hardcore) deem Nintendo as kiddie-systems and won't touch them.

Nintendo needs to shed the kiddie-system stigma to stay relevant. I'm not saying they have to stop with the cutesy games (it was their bread-and-butter for decades, after all) , but they need to balance out the cutesy games with more mature/serious/badass-type games that will attract the hardcore gamers. And they'd need to be Nintendo-made mature/serious/badass-type games, because 3rd-party companies sure ain't helping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch