Gaming Nintendo Forcing Piracy?

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This occurred to me today, and I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but does it not seem that Nintendo is forcing us to pirate SSBB by not letting the official disc work on Wiikeys? I know there are lots of people who want to buy the game, and they have a Wiikey. But why buy something you can't play? I was going to buy it, but since it wont work for me, I'm not going to buy it, and just pirate it. I'm sure there are many other people out there who will do the same as me. I think a Wiikey update that allows dual layer discs to work would actually be beneficial for Nintendo. Were they just relying on the scene not being able to dump the disc? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Discuss

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Plus, the only reason anyone has a wiikey installed is so they can play pirated games and not pay for retail copies.

It seems that the disc does not detect the drive chip but even if it did, how is this FORCING piracy? Surely it's punishing it? Which is the law, and seems pretty reasonable to me.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's forcing it because there are many people who buy games that are worth buying, even though they could pirate them. If you can't play legit games on your chipped Wii, that would be forcing you to pirate the games to play them. I'm not saying its forcing non-chipped people to pirate, just the people with chips, even though that sounds redundant to say.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
wovva said:
Plus, the only reason anyone has a wiikey installed is so they can play pirated games and not pay for retail copies.
Not true, a wiikey can be used (for one) to use gamecube homebrew. Also, running a backup of a game you own hardly is piracy (depending on where you live of course). Wiikey installed =/= piracy all the time. Though I agree with the fact that one can hardly say big N is forcing people to pirate games.

Azadar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wovva said:

It seems that the disc does not detect the drive chip but even if it did, how is this FORCING piracy? Surely it's punishing it? Which is the law, and seems pretty reasonable to me.

According to the law you the owner of an original DVD or CD are legally able to make a backup of it as well but game companies feel we are not allowed and they spend millions of dollars fighting it, when they could be using that money to grow the company.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
As most of you are already aware, an original "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" disc cannot be played on a Wiikey modded system due to a bug in the chip's firmware. For those of you who purchased the game and cannot play it, we recommend adding a switch to your Wiikey installation. Detailed instructions can be found in the Wiikey Forum here on WiiNewz.

A firmware update may eventually be released but there is no ETA. Please do not post threads asking when the update will be available or to complain about it. They will just be deleted.

Do not keep refreshing the front page expecting to see Wiikey update news!!! You will only cause un-necessary server slowdown.

We DO NOT expect to see a firmware update anytime in the next 48-72 hours.

Some forum functions have been turned off to decrease server load.

From WiiNewz.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well the original game doesn't even work on all non modded wii systems from what i've heard.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you'll never trust nintendo again , because of a bug in the wiikey that stops the game working.

rolleyes.gif

Astrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing nintendo did wrong was delaying the US release 1 month, i know at least 2 people who got their wiis modded just to play the JAP version.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, Nintendo doesn't care if your game doesnt work and you won't buy the game. People who pirate games is only a small percent.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Astrax said:
The thing nintendo did wrong was delaying the US release 1 month, i know at least 2 people who got their wiis modded just to play the JAP version.
Make that 3. But I don't blame Nintendo in the least. If the game's not ready for release, it's not ready for release. There's nothing they can do about that.

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL it's definitely not nintendo's fault. I know that Nintendo and any other reputable game company do extensive testing to sort out bugs, but do you really think that they would test to make sure the legit copys ran on all the modchips? Please.

The wiikey's firmware, which was designed to combat protection code, simply backfired in the presence of newish coding.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Also, running a backup of a game you own hardly is piracy (depending on where you live of course). Wiikey installed =/= piracy all the time. Though I agree with the fact that one can hardly say big N is forcing people to pirate games.

False. At least in the USA. Installing a modchip is illegal and against the DMCA, regardless of intent of use. Piracy actually has nothing to do with that. Copying Wii disks is also illegal in the USA, due to the DMCA as well, regardless of fair use policies. There is actually no gray area here.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Azadar said:
wovva said:

According to the law you the owner of an original DVD or CD are legally able to make a backup of it as well but game companies feel we are not allowed and they spend millions of dollars fighting it, when they could be using that money to grow the company.
[citation needed]

Let's get some amature internet lawyering going I'll bring the lube guys. We all have national and international copyright laws committed to memory I'm sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: