Nintendo Didn’t Expect 3DS Sales to Drop Like This

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
lol @ people 'buh buh it's too expensive' as their excuse for not owning a 3DS. If you can't afford an additional 50 dollars over the cost of the original DS at launch time, then you should just stop gaming, or stop pissing away money on console games for a while and save up. 250 dollars is pocket change, if you can't afford that, don't ever build your own computer because a good processor alone will cost you 200 and you will cry about that too. In fact, you should probably just stop gaming completely because if you think 250 dollars is too much to ask for a new portable gaming system, just wait till the NGP comes out and everyone is spilling tears over the 500 dollar price tag.

Classic case of Nintendo Fanboy.
rolleyes.gif

ANYHOO.

What were they expecting!? Just cos Wii Sports helped them milk lots of money, 'in built apps' will do the same thing? Give us some games Nintendo, not 99p iPhone apps converted to 3D.

Asphalt Urban, a poorly ported Splinter cell, the 5th port of Rayman 2 and the two hour long Pilotwings do not count as real launch titles.

(Although SFIV and to a degree Nintendogs were there, along with others...seriously? You cant bet on those!

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
maby if they advertised it more. im not sure if there has actually been commercials or tv spots for the 3ds because i have been without tv since july last year, but it seems most people dont even know what 3ds is, about 4 in every 5 people ask whats 3ds when i say that name. seriously they have. & i would reply the next gen dsi with 3d & better graphics to simplify it down for them lol. when the wii was being launched there were tv commercials everywhere couldn't turn on the tv without seeing the wii & everyone knew what wii was & wanted one, but its like the 3ds was just launched & the only people that know what it is has internet & has been following it since announcement or people that shop at gamestop.

also the only features there talking about is the 3d & street pass, & sometimes, sure those are exiting but what about the improved graphics, motion & gyro control's, ar & the features coming like, eshop, 3d netflix, & 3d internet browser.

i think theres also alot of people just waiting for those features to come tho & then there are those that are just waiting for games, i can remember when i had to wait for Christmas to get a console lol.
i have my 3ds cant wait to see what all comes next update.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
naved.islam14 said:
Sollution:

1. Reduce price
2. Reduce game price
3. Get the 3DS into more markets
Solution:
1) Invest in spell-check software.
2) Add games to the 3DS library.
3) Make Nintendo fuck off with the money-grubbing, and get back to being the Nintendo we all grew to love, i.e. a company that didn't care (as much) about how well things were selling, and that focused on making great quality games.
4) Get the 3DS out of markets. (seriously, who buys anything other than fruit from markets? anyway the 3DS is already in every game store I've checked, I doubt that lack-of-presence is really an issue here.)

pilladoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
DSGamer64 said:
lol @ people 'buh buh it's too expensive' as their excuse for not owning a 3DS. If you can't afford an additional 50 dollars over the cost of the original DS at launch time, then you should just stop gaming, or stop pissing away money on console games for a while and save up. 250 dollars is pocket change, if you can't afford that, don't ever build your own computer because a good processor alone will cost you 200 and you will cry about that too. In fact, you should probably just stop gaming completely because if you think 250 dollars is too much to ask for a new portable gaming system, just wait till the NGP comes out and everyone is spilling tears over the 500 dollar price tag.

Here (Mexico) the 3DS cost $5999 (aprox. 520 dollars) so, YES, THAT'S VERY EXPENSIVE FOR ME!!!!

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
well, like everyone else was saying it's cause of the launch titles
I'm probably going to get one when OoT 3D comes out, and I'm sure there are many who are doing the same
But maybe if the E-Shop has some good stuff when it comes, the sales might go up. That's probably what Ninty's hoping for now

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pilladoll said:
DSGamer64 said:

Here (Mexico) the 3DS cost $5999 (aprox. 520 dollars) so, YES, THAT'S VERY EXPENSIVE FOR ME!!!!
Not Nintendo's fault that your currency is worthless. Save your money, you had an idea of how much it was going to cost and know how much it costs now, so start counting your pennies, get a part time job or whatever to pay for your hobby. It seems gamers are spoiled these days. You had almost 5 years of free DS games if you used a flash card, all that money you saved on games could have bought like three 3DS consoles on release day.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
t377y000 said:
maby if they advertised it more. im not sure if there has actually been commercials or tv spots for the 3ds because i have been without tv since july last year, but it seems most people dont even know what 3ds is, about 4 in every 5 people ask whats 3ds when i say that name. seriously they have. & i would reply the next gen dsi with 3d & better graphics to simplify it down for them lol. when the wii was being launched there were tv commercials everywhere couldn't turn on the tv without seeing the wii & everyone knew what wii was & wanted one, but its like the 3ds was just launched & the only people that know what it is has internet & has been following it since announcement or people that shop at gamestop.

also the only features there talking about is the 3d & street pass, & sometimes, sure those are exiting but what about the improved graphics, motion & gyro control's, ar & the features coming like, eshop, 3d netflix, & 3d internet browser.

i think theres also alot of people just waiting for those features to come tho & then there are those that are just waiting for games, i can remember when i had to wait for Christmas to get a console lol.
There wasn't a lot of pre-release advertising here in North America and even after it came out there hasn't been a sufficient amount of advertising to properly promote it, along with the lack of games as many people have mentioned. I think the poor launch lineup was part of the issue, as was the lack of exposure prior to and after release.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should have known this would happen with no solid 1st party launch titles....also they need to start packing games in with their systems again and I'm not talking about wii sports but a more traditional game. Back to the matter at hand, with such a sparse selection of mediocre titles how could Nintendo have believed the 3DS would be anything but a "cool new gadget" and not the "must have gaming platform" until they brought out the real meat and potatoes with Mario Kart, Zelda, Starfox, etc?

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
DSGamer64 said:
t377y000 said:

There wasn't a lot of pre-release advertising here in North America and even after it came out there hasn't been a sufficient amount of advertising to properly promote it, along with the lack of games as many people have mentioned. I think the poor launch lineup was part of the issue, as was the lack of exposure prior to and after release.

people from may regions does not know what is a 3ds.
this show that nintendo lacks in advertizing.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This maybe is a good thing. The price probably will go down, and many more people will have a chance to buy the console. But this may lead to a price rise
unsure.gif

I still wait for a big price drop (say, 50 bucks)

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah the main problem is not the price of the 3DS itselfs (i think) but the games.

not only because the launch titles aren't that awesome but because of the known fact that Nintendo does get MANY shovelware it makes the people rather wait for an emulator than getting the actual thing and having a 90:10 chance of getting a shit game for much money.

If Nintendo Consoles would be known to have mostly good games or at least a 50:50 ammount there would be many more buyer.

and another problem is that many games do not get localisations ... for some games its understandable but many real gamer are especially pissed of the many japanese games that do never get a release and several american games that get no release in europe (well thats getting rare lately luckily)

P.S. instead of wasting money for as they say "promoting the 3DS more" they should invest more money to ensure quality products (games and console itselfs, read here that many ppl have problems with scratches because of the D pad or whatever)

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Why the surprise?

Wonky hinges, scratching screens, high price tag when everyone is broke....

No new characters (although I welcome the return of Pitt)

Nothing much to attract the attention of long term gamers

Badly designed system, D-pad on bottom left corner? Pfffft

Region locked so you can't even buy half the games you want without buying 2 systems????

What did they expect?

Pfft, Nintendo, has become lazy and boring!

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
pilladoll said:
DSGamer64 said:

Not Nintendo's fault that your currency is worthless. Save your money, you had an idea of how much it was going to cost and know how much it costs now, so start counting your pennies, get a part time job or whatever to pay for your hobby. It seems gamers are spoiled these days. You had almost 5 years of free DS games if you used a flash card, all that money you saved on games could have bought like three 3DS consoles on release day.

How exactly does not wanting to spend $520 for a console at launch make someone "spoiled"?. Even with a job/saving money, that's an incredibly stupid financial decision to make, given that the poster you were responding to probably has other expenses in his/her life to take into account.

Just because you're upset about the 3DS' sales doesn't mean you should throw all economic logic out the window.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seicomart said:
Why the surprise?

Region locked so you can't even buy half the games you want without buying 2 systems????

What did they expect?

You forgot about the launch tittles. Almost all of the U.S launch titles are ports/remakes of old games with little to no new features.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
chartube12 said:
Seicomart said:
Why the surprise?

What did they expect?

You forgot about the launch tittles. Almost all of the U.S launch titles are ports/remakes of old games with little to no new features.

ISn9M.jpg

Do we really need to have this discussion again? There is a difference between a remake and a sequel or another game in the SERIES.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Name one game in the launch line-up that is a sequel?

Ridge racer: remake of the N64 game.

SS4: a port that's already on many other systems.

Samurai Warriors: port of the first psp game.

Nintendo dogs+cats: sequel?

pilot wings: at least we have one original new game.

Spliter cell: remake of the first Spliter Cell game that was on xbox.

Madden: same as SS4.

So one game is a sequel out of the whole launch line up.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
chartube12 said:
Name one game in the launch line-up that is a sequel?

Ridge racer: remake of the N64 game. (it has a few tracks that have been in nearly every Ridge Racer game ever made. It has many brand new tracks. Where do you get your info?)

SS4: a port that's already on many other systems.

Samurai Warriors: port of the first psp game.

Nintendo dogs+cats: sequel? (Another game in the series, yes.)

pilot wings: at least we have one original new game.

Spliter cell: remake of the first Spliter Cell game that was on xbox.

Madden: same as SS4.

So one game is a sequel out of the whole launch line up.

You also conveniently left out Steel Diver, and Ghost Recon, and FYI Super Monkey Ball 3D isn't just a port of the GC game all over again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer