Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

offsense

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't really blame them, the whole Tegra fiasco was a colossal kick in the nuts and they are lashing out with extreme force.
I bet they were so happy with themselves with the security of the console patting themselves on the back saying this won't be like the 3ds until RCM was discovered lol

xwizit

Trophies
XP
Country
I bet they were so happy with themselves with the security of the console patting themselves on the back saying this won't be like the 3ds until RCM was discovered lol

Speaking of not like the 3ds, what’s the technical reason why the only solution so far has been rcm? Is a permanent boot back a dream on switch?

designgears

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLD UP!

I just checked the url at the end of the video posted by OP and found this little nugget:

This was under Past Maintenance Information:

Now I'm not saying that they aren't banning people but the error code (2137-7403) doesn't match other ban codes we have seen. Can anyone do another proof of video showing that they are actually CDN banned?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/archive_network.html

I'm curious about the network this switch is connected to, do they have nintendo servers blocked? Did they connect to an AP that doesn't have internet access to create an elaborate troll? or are they really banned. Seeing as it's one person I think it's some sort of hoax. Going to test and see what codes I get when blocking and connecting to an AP without internet access.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Speaking of not like the 3ds, what’s the technical reason why the only solution so far has been rcm? Is a permanent boot back a dream on switch?

As far as i understand, RCM is something that lets you run completely random or unsigned code on the system but everytime you switch the system off, the memory is reset or something like that and since the "CFW" is running from the system's memory...
Also you have to realize that the Switch scene is still in it's very early infancy. Atmosphere isn't even fully released yet and that's the basis for all the other starter packs we see around like ReiNX and RajNX. I'm sure that, eventually, a more permanent solution will be found, at least for the old systems, not too sure about the Mariko versions. It kind of reminds me of the PSP, early CFW were the same, you had to constantly re flash the system everytime you turned it off

der:Tom

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Not exactly, RCM itself is just some sort of recovery mode the tegra chip has by design, it´s meant for support reasons if there´s something wrong with the system (the chip itself is used for many more systems then just the Nintendo Switch) and you can´t boot the OS anymore.
We use a weakness/exploit in the chip while in RCM to inject some patches (->payload) to the OS so we can do what we do.

There is still RCM in the new ipatched Switches but (at least atm) you can´t use the exploit anymore to inject the payload

Reactions: PT333

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Dear ninty here are the non leaked exploits for deja vu lots of love ktemkin. I do wonder if ninty have the fixs for the non disclosed vulns......

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're saying is that the PC I have dedicated to getting as much off of CDN as possible for the last few days might have been a good idea?? :P

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your pc is fine. The cert you're using on the other hand...

Yeah I figured that much when the app asked for NOTHING from my device... As long as I get the stuff I want (and a lot of it I already bought!) I'm not too concerned that the public cert will get banned. Nor do I think that'll stop things for very long haha.

Also, always use a condom... errr VPN :D

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah I figured that much when the app asked for NOTHING from my device... As long as I get the stuff I want (and a lot of it I already bought!) I'm not too concerned that the public cert will get banned. Nor do I think that'll stop things for very long haha.

Also, always use a condom... errr VPN :D

It wont. The public cert that people are using right now is not the first one.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Compared to the steps it took to get 3DS working (good luck figuring out what currently works if you don't follow every development for a few weeks!) I'm just fine with the 10 seconds it takes to plug my phone into my console to get it to run CFW. Imagine if you had to reflash a boot file and changing setting or something every time you turned the thing on... a few second USB bootstrap is fine with me!

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leniency? They haven't been lenient at all on the Switch. By now they must have banned a ton of Certs

They're lenient in not completely killing the tls cert authorization which is what they are doing with the follow-up superbans to CDNSP. But there's no reason for them to not just outright tls revoke on a ban for piracy, in my personal opinion.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They're lenient in not completely killing the tls cert authorization which is what they are doing with the follow-up superbans to CDNSP. But there's no reason for them to not just outright tls revoke on a ban for piracy, in my personal opinion.

But wouldn't that affect EVERY cert, even the ones from legit users?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But wouldn't that affect EVERY cert, even the ones from legit users?

No? The certificate can experience two degrees of bans: a dauth failure and a complete removal of tls permissions, without tls you lose access permanently. The former is a smaller form of the latter, the latter removes all authorization access to the CDN. It would only and does only effect certs that they deem necessary for such bans.

They are currently doing it, these superbans, to keep killing the CDNSP certificates, seemingly believing that people will stop being stupid enough to keep providing them. But since it doesn't seem like the depth of stupidity has been reached, at some point they will simply change how bans work outright.

If (and really more of a when, seeing as they are not letting freeshop slide anymore) they decide to, they can revoke any and all tls certificates along with the dauth bans.

The Switch, unlike the 3DS, can be completely stopped from ever accessing Nintendo's networks and their methods for stopping FreeShop are far more thorough/capable than they are on 3DS. If they are shutting down 3DS FreeShop, there's zero reason to expect them to not take a gun to CDNSP when they get tired of dealing with individual certificate bans.

If you get banned for piracy, there's no real reason for them to still be lenient and they can just revoke the entire tls cert. And if they do, the cert count available for CDNSP instantly becomes zero. The CDN already can and does auto-ban dauth on bad-calls and piracy pulls, they can extend this to burning the tls-cert outright.

Last edited by V-Temp,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No? The certificate can experience two degrees of bans: a dauth failure and a complete removal of tls permissions, without tls you lose access permanently. The former is a smaller form of the latter, the latter removes all authorization access to the CDN. It would only and does only effect certs that they deem necessary for such bans.

They are currently doing it, these superbans, to keep killing the CDNSP certificates, seemingly believing that people will stop being stupid enough to keep providing them. But since it doesn't seem like the depth of stupidity has been reached, at some point they will simply change how bans work outright.

If (and really more of a when, seeing as they are not letting freeshop slide anymore) they decide to, they can revoke any and all tls certificates along with the dauth bans.

The Switch, unlike the 3DS, can be completely stopped from ever accessing Nintendo's networks and their methods for stopping FreeShop are far more thorough/capable than they are on 3DS. If they are shutting down 3DS FreeShop, there's zero reason to expect them to not take a gun to CDNSP when they get tired of dealing with individual certificate bans.

Removing TLS permissions really wouldn't do much since people would just get a different cert. Now i have no idea where these public certs come from but that's how it is. Hell the current public cert people use with CDNSP isn't the first one. And even if they do permanently kill CDNSP, people can still get .NSP and .XCI files elsewhere so it really wont deter people all THAT much to be perfectly honest

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Removing TLS permissions really wouldn't do much since people would just get a different cert. Now i have no idea where these public certs come from but that's how it is. Hell the current public cert people use with CDNSP isn't the first one. And even if they do permanently kill CDNSP, people can still get .NSP and .XCI files elsewhere so it really wont deter people all THAT much to be perfectly honest

They come from Switch donors dumps (from dauth banned switches). If they outright revoke all tls-certs for bans, there would be no more donor certs.

CDNSP has burned through several certs because Nintendo is banning their tls-cert, and then someone else from that group of chuckleheads donates a new cert. It lasts for a while then it gets banned. This is finite. As I said, by all indication, Nintendo did not expect people to willfully burn their own tls-certs but they're going to stop playing softball with their bans eventually.

When they get tired of dealing with this and just cut it off outright, then we'll be seeing a situation where piracy ban = tls-cert removal = dead CDNSP.

Last edited by V-Temp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/08/george-lopez-accuse-walk-out-leave-show-early-heckler-shade-eagle-...