Nintendo announces that it will skip E3 2023

asdsa,l;vf.png

E3 is making its grand return to Los Angeles, but Nintendo is not going to be a part of that. Sony and Microsoft have already announced that they have no plans to be at this year's E3, and now Nintendo will join them in skipping the event. This will mark the first time that Nintendo has pulled out of E3, after having attended every year since 1995, where they used the event to showcase the Virtual Boy. Whether or not Nintendo will have its own separate summer Direct in order to compensate was not made clear. For now, the biggest name attached to E3 2023 is Ubisoft.

E3 is undergoing a transformation from its 2019 iteration based on exhibitor and fan feedback. A collaborative process such as this, with so many stakeholders, takes time. ReedPop remains committed to delivering the best show possible and is excited to share more information on show format and the fantastic exhibitors taking part in the near future.

:arrow: Source

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Chatgpt doesn't attend E3. I'd like to submit that fact as proof it is sentient. :creep:

Joking aside, I can't really blame Nintendo: they reach a (more) worldwide audience with smaller costs by just broadcasting.

Reactions: Xzi

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not surprised, gaming has gone down seriously last 10 years. Studios are lazy, nothing much special to surprise gamers, mostly just lazy remakes etc. Everyone wants easy and quick buck. Would rather spend money on marketing and manipulation.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are three different "parts" to E3: the press conferences, the show floor, and the meetings. The badge you apply for needs you to be a reporter in some capacity, and the site needs to have a certain minimum threshold of MUV. That badge you get from that will let you onto the show floor, aka where all the booths are to play the games. In the old days, you could get around pretty easy, because there were a lot of people, but it wasn't impossibly congested to queue for demos. After they opened it to the public, it was like trying to get on a Disneyland ride in peak summer. They'd have company reps waving signs saying "YAKUZA DEMO WAIT TIMEl 4 HOURS!"

The second part is all the meetings. These take place either in rooms off the main floor, at restaurants across the street from E3 entirely, or on the show floor, but in a special line. When I got invited to Nintendo's booth for media, it was just where a bunch of people were chilling out, passing out snacks, and getting exclusive hands on time with the big games--BOTW, Odyssey, Smash, etc. I remember Charles Martinet and Miyamoto just milling about, and being sorta shocked that I was mere steps away from them. I wish I would have had the guts to ask for an autograph. All those meetings require a LOT of finessing though, like having good contacts with PR, chasing after interview slots, stuff like that. But that's the best part of E3, hands down. You don't just get given those, though, unless you're like, IGN I guess.

Then there's the press conferences, which are the big showcases--really the only thing of E3 that the public sees? Those, too, are really hard to get into, and are basically fancy lounges where they serve alcohol and meals. I know I wasn't allowed to attend Sony's showcase because there was so much alcohol involved, and I was <21 at the time. They're basically gigantic movie theaters, and you get to see the Direct/Showcase about 10 minutes earlier than Twitch/Youtube because of stream delay. I know some of the things I updated in the live news docs were ahead of the broadcasts online, back when I went to Bethesda's.

Having JUST a media badge, even at the peak of E3, really didn't do much. And obviously no one is around to explain any of it, you kinda gotta wing it and learn by mistakes. It's all about who you know, making connections, and getting your way to the exclusive stuff.
...And big companies' refusal to show up, even if offered spots at E3, is why E3 is no longer relevant anymore.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Early 2000 was the golden age of E3 imo, when PS2 was king. Everything there was just fantastic, I must have drank like a million gallons of water to combat the heat.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: I asked one of my fave translators