Nintendo and Valve issue warnings for using the Switch and Steam Deck in high temperatures

SMB3_Show_Angry_Sun.png

As numerous record-high temperatures have been reached around the world this year, Nintendo and Valve have issued warnings about using their handheld gaming devices during a heat wave.

Last week, as reported by Nintendo Life, the Nintendo of Japan Twitter account warned users of playing in heat as temperatures in Tokyo rose above 35 degrees Celsius (or 95 Fahrenheit). The Tweet warns that the Switch should only be used in temperatures of 5-35 Celcius (roughly 41-95 Fahrenheit). While the Tweet has only been issued from the Japanese account, users around the world should heed its warning, especially as many areas have easily exceeded 35 Celsius. Nintendo warns that if temperatures get too high, the console may put itself to sleep to protect itself. They also warn that anything blocking the air intake and exhaust ports can increase the temperature, and asks users to clean these ports to protect the unit.

Similarly, Valve issued a similar statement yesterday regarding the Steam Deck, warning that it also can only perform optimally up to 35 degrees Celsius. If temperatures exceed that point, the Steam Deck may start to "throttle performance" to protect itself. More specifically, its accelerated processing unit can perform well if its temperature is below 100 degrees Celsius. Any higher and it'll start to perform worse; if it hits 105 Celsius or higher, it'll shut down altogether to "protect itself (and you) from damage."

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
More specifically, its accelerated processing unit can perform well if its temperature is below 100 degrees Celsius. Any higher and it'll start to perform worse; if it hits 105 Celsius or higher, it'll shut down altogether to "protect itself (and you) from damage."

Either they meant Fahrenheit, or Valve has god-tier engineers 😎

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defending these companies does you no good. They're treating you like an imbecile, yet you praise them. Absurd.
i agree especially with Nintendo's heavy handed "oh we must save our IP from non profit fangames" bulshit and beforeanyone says something like "they must do so" Sega says otherwise and capcom hell even valve so any future argument is invalid

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am surprised Nintendo said anything. The Switch has proven to not overheat even when shoved under a pillow to starve it of airflow. I doubt an ambient temperature increase would be enough to do any significant harm. Of course this does not include baking a console in direct sunlight as that can make temps go quite a bit higher than ambient.

The Steam Deck I understand as it has more power under the hood to cool down.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tuesday: 38 celcius (which is very hot in the Netherlands!), a switch was panting in the shade, but still running, my iphone said it had to cool down before doing anything else, to be fair, it was toasting in the sun...

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG! GLOBAL WARMING IS GONNA FRY OUR CONSOLES!!! PROTECT THE SWITCHES AND DECKS!!! GET THEM IN THE FREEZERS NOW!!!! :ohnoes:

It's incredible how people freak out over something that occurs naturally each summer - immense heat. We'll be hearing about global cooling warnings in December next.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OMG! GLOBAL WARMING IS GONNA FRY OUR CONSOLES!!! PROTECT THE SWITCHES AND DECKS!!! GET THEM IN THE FREEZERS NOW!!!! :ohnoes:

It's incredible how people freak out over something that occurs naturally each summer - immense heat. We'll be hearing about global cooling warnings in December next.
Do you really not think global warming is a thing?

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really not think global warming is a thing?
I think... God is in control. It's not that I don't care about the planet; I just think there's too much melodrama over all these "save the planet" ideals. I say work with nature; don't try to control it. Destroying it without rebuilding it, or letting it run wild without any human interaction, are both detrimental to the environment. There needs to be a balance of give and take - life and death, hot and cold, lift up or knock down, save or destroy, handle or leave alone. There is a time for everything.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Defending these companies does you no good. They're treating you like an imbecile, yet you praise them. Absurd.
Oh c'mon, they're issuing these warnings specifically for the tech non-savvy among us, there's no need to take it personally.

I say work with nature; don't try to control it.
Too bad we've been working against nature since the industrial revolution. We're just now really starting to reap what we've sown, and each summer is gonna be even hotter than the last.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh c'mon, they're issuing these warnings specifically for the tech non-savvy among us, there's no need to take it personally.
This basically applies to anything in life with hot and cold.

Companies make people to be really stupid to be unable to think for themselves.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This basically applies to anything in life with hot and cold.

Companies make people to be really stupid to be unable to think for themselves.
These people do exist though. As another comment pointed out, if you work retail or IT long enough you'll encounter plenty of them. Every warning sign/label was only created after somebody did something stupid to warrant its creation. I'd even wager there are videos out there of people watching their Switch/Steam Deck literally melt in 100+ degree heat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi: