Gaming Nintendo account hacked, hacker used stolen credit card; how screwed am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
notice the little bastard hasn't replied once. we've been had :glare:
Seriously? Name calling? I've been busy. smh.

Turns out I wasn't hacked. Acording to the Nintendo support rep I talked to, my Switch was the only one that has used the account. I'm stumped by this now. There IS a possibility that a reloadable prepaid card I was given about a month and a half ago was stolen, but I didn't think that they allowed chargebacks (I asked for money for food on the streets because my food stamps were late filling, and was given a prepaid MasterCard; I got the food, then tested it on my Switch; it ended up having over $50 on it).

I genuinely thought I was hacked, so I don't know why all of you decided to flame me. It was a legitimate question. I told Nintendo this, and there's still nothing they can do. The next Switch I get will have to be exploitable, I guess, so I can just install the games I bought that I no longer have access to. Sad.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make a new account and setup a 2 security on it . Based on the details given since you don't even have a credit card also means you dont buy any anything from Eshop. So nothing valuable was lost in the end. Also lets not lend friends your accounts.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Just get a new account and setup a 2 security on it . Considering you dont even have a credit card also means you dont buy any anything from Eshop. So nothing valuable was lost in the end.
Actually, I had over $350 of purchased content. I usually use Nintendo eShop cards to purchase games.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So did you actually let a friend sign into your account and buy a game or no?

It's really easy to see if you were hacked or to see your purchase history on your account info page on nintendo.com.

So there's something you're not telling us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Let me get this right!

You let a "friend" purchase software of eshop for you but it turns out the friend was a hacker so you got charged for the software..You then rang Nintendo with your legit story and they told you your nintendo account was not hacked your switch was the only one used by yourself to buy the software. Your bank, which I presume you contacted straight away because in all fraudulent cases your bank should be able to refund those monies back into your account didn't??? this fantasy story of yours does not add up and sounds complete bull.

Last edited by Reecey,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this right!

You let a "friend" purchase software of eshop for you but it turns out the friend was a hacker so you got charged for the software..You then rang Nintendo with your legit story and they told you your nintendo account was not hacked your switch was the only one used by yourself to buy the software. Your bank, which I presume you contacted straight away because in all fraudulent cases your bank should be able to refund those monies back into your account didn't??? this fantasy story of yours does not add up and sounds complete bull.
That is not AT ALL what I said. Also, read the whole thread before posting next time. So much has changed.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
That is not AT ALL what I said. Also, read the whole thread before posting next time. So much has changed.
Well unless I’m reading it wrong this is what you commented & posted in the opening post and also the comment on the top of this page. I added the bank part myself because I assumed you to carry this action out and in all fraud bank account cases your bank would refund the monies.

Last edited by Reecey,

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this right!

No, it's more convoluted than that.

OP let's friend use their account and purchases eShop game. Friend does chargeback. OP later says that friend did not do chargeback.
Then OP says it must have been because they had a prepaid card and it somehow charged back from that. Even though prepaid cards don't really do pending purchases. The second a pending charge comes through, it takes it out of the funds. OP wouldn't have been able to make the purchase with a prepaid card if funds weren't available and the purchase would have been declined.

OP doesn't have a bank account/credit card, so they're at least safe that way.

My assumption is that their "friend" is either an internet friend, in which they 100% got scammed, and they're still using their account on some other switch. If it's a real life friend, they're probably using their parents credit card and denying purchase. Or maybe OP is using their parents credit card and want to get their account back without telling their parents what they did.

If their friend was a scammer, you don't need a Nintendo account to purchase download codes. So the whole thing about their friend using their account to buy games is very suspicious.

Or maybe OP purchased a game code from someone else and that original purchase got charge backed. It's why you don't use CD key websites with the switch. Way too easy to get your account banned that way.

I guess we won't know more details until OP fills us in.

Edit: while going back and reading the thread again, OP was given the repaid gift card when they were panhandling.

Last edited by hartleyshc,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eitherway lending an account and failing to change the password afterwards was the 1st red flag. Not trying to sound like a snob, but It would have prevented any ongoing activity on his account. Just be glad the friend wasn't bright enough to change information on it.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Eitherway lending an account and failing to change the password afterwards was the 1st red flag. Not trying to sound like a snob, but It would have prevented any ongoing activity on his account. Just be glad the friend wasn't bright enough to change information on it.
I never said I lent my account to anyone (and I didn't). Why is everyone reading my post completely wrong?

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said I lent my account to anyone (and I didn't). Why is everyone reading my post completely wrong?

I posted a little bit ago that I let a friend buy something on the eshop for me, and they made a chargeback.

Literally the first line of your first post.

How did the friend buy something for you then?

If they gave you a download code, then that's how you got banned. If they put in their own credit card that they got from who knows where on your system. Then that's how you got banned.

If you want actual help, give the exact details in one single post of what happened. This entire thread is full of contradictons and sketchy, vague details.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Also, I don't have any friends that would buy something for me. What I said was that when I called Nintendo, I LIED and said a friend used a debit card that they found on the ground to buy something for me. This was because I thought that they could not help me if I said I was hacked.

Turns out I wasn't hacked. Acording to the Nintendo support rep I talked to, my Switch was the only one that has used the account. I'm stumped by this now. There IS a possibility that a reloadable prepaid card I was given about a month and a half ago was stolen, but I didn't think that they allowed chargebacks (I asked for money for food on the streets because my food stamps were late filling, and was given a prepaid MasterCard; I got the food, then tested it on my Switch; it ended up having over $50 on it).

I genuinely thought I was hacked, so I don't know why all of you decided to flame me. It was a legitimate question. I told Nintendo this, and there's still nothing they can do. The next Switch I get will have to be exploitable, I guess, so I can just install the games I bought that I no longer have access to. Sad.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I will edit my first post to clarify all this, but I won't be surprised if everyone still misreads it.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted a little bit ago that I let a friend buy something on the eshop for me, and they made a chargeback. It turns out that the friend did NOT do a chargeback, which indicates that it was a hacker.
How can he buy something for you without having access to your account?

Update: Oh ok so you basically lied to us too. No wonder all of us are confused.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I don't have any friends that would buy something for me. What I said was that when I called Nintendo, I LIED and said a friend used a debit card that they found on the ground to buy something for me. This was because I thought that they could not help me if I said I was hacked.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I will edit my first post to clarify all this, but I won't be surprised if everyone still misreads it.
Just go in Nintendo.com and look at your account history and purchases. It's going to tell you what the issue is. If you called Nintendo, then Nintendo is going to tell you what purchase was charged back.

Don't tell us whatever bs you told Nintendo. Just tell us the facts of what happened.

But most importantly, go to Nintendo.com and look at your purchase history.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Just go in Nintendo.com and look at your account history and purchases. It's going to tell you what the issue is. If you called Nintendo, then Nintendo is going to tell you what purchase was charged back.

Don't tell us whatever bs you told Nintendo. Just tell us the facts of what happened.

But most importantly, go to Nintendo.com and look at your purchase history.

I can't even login and check. My accound is suspended, likely indefinitely.

Also, I was tired when I made the post (due to being fed up and feeling defeated), and I just found out that I also was automatically going to continue my 'lie' here without thinking, although I intended to be honest when I decided to post. I have edited my post for complete clarity.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres not much we can do to help. Once your account is banned thats the endgame. Just gotta move on and learn from it, make a new account with more security. I had the same experience but on my ps4. Only difference was that the hacker used my paypal to buy a FIFA game and some DLC's about $50 total. My email notified me these purchases and I contacted Sony customer service asap by chat support. Gave them all the info of psn account and 20mins later they got my account back also refunded my money. Lesson of that day use a 2 step verification.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Probably pretty screwed. No matter what the reason, if there is a chargeback on your account, you're permanently banned and nothing you can tell them will change that. Other people have tried.
I can't help but feel like you were specifically targeted, there's no reason some rando would purposely get you banned. Then again, some people don't need a reason.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even login and check. My accound is suspended, likely indefinitely.

Also, I was tired when I made the post (due to being fed up and feeling defeated), and I just found out that I also was automatically going to continue my 'lie' here without thinking, although I intended to be honest when I decided to post. I have edited my post for complete clarity.
Well if you actually talked to Nintendo. Then they told you what the issue was. You mentioned a couple of times this "reload credit card" that was "given" to you. So I think you already know exactly how and why you got banned.

Now for what you can at this point?
Absolutely nothing.

Last edited by hartleyshc,
Reactions: Maq47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!