Feedback nintendo 3ds xl "could not detect an sd card. the software on the sd card could not be displayed"

kamiyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was using my 3dsxl just fine earlier before I went to work. Packed it in my bag, recently turnt it on and this message was prompt after a black screen almost 2 minute load up of the device. I'm not very savvy with software and was hoping someone can help me solve this issue. Perhaps a dumbed down explanation 😀
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230418_194020.jpg
    IMG_20230418_194020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited by kamiyami,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was using my 3dsxl just fine earlier before I went to work. Packed it in my bag, recently turnt it on and this message was prompt after a black screen almost 2 minute load up of the device. I'm not very savvy with software and was hoping someone can help me solve this issue. Perhaps a dumbed down explanation 😀
Thank you.
Take out the SD card and make sure that the write protect switch is unlocked (switched toward the top of the card where the contacts are) and that the contacts are clean.

Reactions: kamiyami and CoolMe

kamiyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take out the SD card and make sure that the write protect switch is unlocked (switched toward the top of the card where the contacts are) and that the contacts are clean.
Thanks man, i liberated a fresh eraser from the facility I'm guarding. No luck after cleaning it unfortunately.
Post automatically merged:

Yep, or change the sd card adapter entirely if moving the lock slider didn't help, as those things brake all the time.
Thanks, almost off so I'll stop by cvs and grab one. Hopefully that'll solve it 😫

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yep, or change the sd card adapter entirely if moving the lock slider didn't help, as those things brake all the time.
This only applies if you use a mini or micro SD card. Which you probably are, but I just want to be clear that full size SD cards don't need adapters.

Reactions: kamiyami

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
3dsxl doesn't use TF cards or micro SD card? that do not have write protect tab.

you can:

put the sd card on a computer and verify is not corrupted.

reseat the SD on your 3ds a few times.
He may be using an adapter, which does have the lock.

kamiyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3dsxl doesn't use TF cards or micro SD card? that do not have write protect tab.

you can:

put the sd card on a computer and verify is not corrupted.

reseat the SD on your 3ds a few times.
He may be using an adapter, which does have the lock.
So I bought another SanDisk micro SD/ adapter, swapped adapters and tried again. The same thing pops up when I turn on the 3ds. But what's odd is when I put the old adapter and new micro SD card in and turn on the ds, the ds turns on quick with no delay and prompt the set up process. So would this mean the original micro SD that has my saved files is corrupt? 😦

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
So I bought another SanDisk micro SD/ adapter, swapped adapters and tried again. The same thing pops up when I turn on the 3ds. But what's odd is when I put the old adapter and new micro SD card in and turn on the ds, the ds turns on quick with no delay and prompt the set up process. So would this mean the original micro SD that has my saved files is corrupt? 😦
When you can, get to a computer and try to backup the contents of your SD card.
Then, format the card and see if h2testw, a storage testing tool, sees any failures.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're experienced at soldering, then you could replace the SD card slot if you can find a replacement part. But it'd be best to try checking the card for errors, h2testw is what most people have been recommending.

Reactions: impeeza

kamiyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you can, get to a computer and try to backup the contents of your SD card.
Then, format the card and see if h2testw, a storage testing tool, sees any failures.
So the SD card with my 3DS files isn't even reading on my computer. This is the message I'm getting 😭

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_123542.jpg
    IMG_20230419_123542.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 57
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD