Nintendo 3DS sells 207k units between 8-14 August in Japan

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
I just hope that more people buy the 3DS here (My country = Sony). I went to the biggest mall in my city for like 8 hours and not a single streepass notification!

That said, I believe the 3DS would not flop. To good a console to phail.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guild McCommunist said:
koimayeul said:
here it starts.. domination of big n.. as much i don't want see it happen to a monopole extent again ^^

It's not really a "monopoly" if their biggest competition is a 7 year old device.

and hopefully won't be with the Vita on the market.. which i can almost foresee and reason why im not liking the situation as it is :/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
Nintendo KNOWS what they are doing and how to make a profit.

Selling more systems doesn't equate to a profit if they're taking a loss on them (which I'm pretty sure they said they were). Selling a system on a loss usually means you'll use software to recover the loss and gain profit. And software is what the 3DS sorely lacks at this point. If anything it seems Nintendo is going to be sitting on making a loss constantly until November-December when actual first party games come out. And the system will still be competing with the Vita (it is competition, no doubt about it).

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I can say that the system is selling pretty well now, but I won't confirm that Nintendo is earning profits.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I live in Tokyo.

As of the past week or so I've gotten a lot more street pass tags, I'll say that. Still not as many as I'd expect, though.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
The 3DS was barely selling at $250, and the drop boosted its sales by a huge margin, this is a profit in itself in the long run. Imagine the stocks of 3DS that were going unsold, it would've accounted for - Production/Manufacturing Costs Wasted (Gone Profit-Less).

Before you bash me saying, higher price would've profitted them more, I'm talking about LONG RUN (Business Term) here.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
AFAIK, Nintendo still makes a profit on 3DS hardware sales.
Manufacturing one unit costs around 100 dollars, only 15 dollars more then the DSi unit.

So keeping that in mind, Nintendo can potentially decrease the cost again if they would ever release a 3DSXL or something and still make a small profit or even playing even.

Though, I do feel that 250 dollars for the system was way too much and Nintendo really should've seen this comming.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuji1987 said:
Manufacturing one unit costs around 100 dollars, only 15 dollars more then the DSi unit.

They don't. The cost of parts is around $100 (that was an estimate, mind you). A 3DS unit cost accounts for everything else. Manufacturing and stuff like that. Nintendo also said that they are indeed making a loss on the 3DS.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
Shuji1987 said:

They don't. The cost of parts is around $100 (that was an estimate, mind you). A 3DS unit cost accounts for everything else. Manufacturing and stuff like that. Nintendo also said that they are indeed making a loss on the 3DS.

Okay, so we take another 20 dollars per 3DS manufactured and 20 for logistics, that still leaves a certain amount blank. Mind you, those costs I named are purely fictional and probably way to big to be true, but if you calculate it that big, there is still a portion that is unused. Also I'm talking purely about the unit, from manufacturing to consumer.

However, the only reason I could see them making a loss on the unit would be due to R&D (research and development). They are probably not gainig a sufficient amount of profit to make up for the years of development in the first years if at all. Also considering that the system still requires developing untill the lifespan has ended could be the cause.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuji1987 said:
Okay, so we take another 20 dollars per 3DS manufactured and 20 for logistics, that still leaves a certain amount blank. Mind you, those costs I named are purely fictional and probably way to big to be true, but if you calculate it that big, there is still a portion that is unused. Also I'm talking purely about the unit, from manufacturing to consumer.

However, the only reason I could see them making a loss on the unit would be due to R&D (research and development). They are probably not gainig a sufficient amount of profit to make up for the years of development in the first years if at all. Also considering that the system still requires developing untill the lifespan has ended could be the cause.

They are making a loss. I'm not speculating, they've said so themselves. Read it here.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Shuji1987 said:

Nintendo is making a loss on the 3DS at $169.99. However they did state that they are willing to take risks... let's see how far can they go.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
Nintendo is making a loss on the 3DS at $169.99. However they did state that they are willing to take risks... let's see how far can they go.

They're not actually making a loss, y'know. The production costs at launch were $101, if I recall. That's £61.50, right? Nintendo sold the 3DS to stores for £173 each over here, which means they made a whopping £112 profit on every single 3DS sold to the stores in the UK. Retailers made a nice £57 profit on every 3DS sold. So over here, at least, Nintendo has only actually cut their profit. Assuming retailers are still making a nice £57 profit on each 3DS sold, Nintendo must have sold those 3DS to them for about £83. Which just means, really, that Nintendo gets at least £21.50 profit on every 3DS sold to retailers instead of the original £112. A massive loss, no doubt, but they're still making a profit.

So unless Nintendo is actually selling the 3DS to retailers for less than £61.50/$101 each, I don't see how they're actually making a loss.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

They're not actually making a loss, y'know. The production costs at launch were $101, if I recall. That's £61.50, right? Nintendo sold the 3DS to stores for £173 each over here, which means they made a whopping £112 profit on every single 3DS sold to the stores in the UK. Retailers made a nice £57 profit on every 3DS sold. So over here, at least, Nintendo has only actually cut their profit. Assuming retailers are still making a nice £57 profit on each 3DS sold, Nintendo must have sold those 3DS to them for about £83. Which just means, really, that Nintendo gets at least £21.50 profit on every 3DS sold to retailers instead of the original £112. A massive loss, no doubt, but they're still making a profit.

So unless Nintendo is actually selling the 3DS to retailers for less than £61.50/$101 each, I don't see how they're actually making a loss.

That news article I just posted but I guess no one actually read
According to the Japanes arm of Bloomberg, Nintendo's radical price cut – which CVG ascertained was likely to be about a third off in the UK – means that the gaming giant is making a loss.

It's not speculation and guess work, it's a fact. And there's more that goes into making a 3DS than just parts. LIKE I ALREADY SAID BEFORE.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

They're not actually making a loss, y'know. The production costs at launch were $101...

Again, as people have said already, that is just the total cost of the hardware pieces. Does not include assembly, testing, booklet printing, and anything else related to the finalized product that appears on retailer shelves.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

They're not actually making a loss, y'know. The production costs at launch were $101...

Again, as people have said already, that is just the total cost of the hardware pieces. Does not include assembly, testing, booklet printing, and anything else related to the finalized product that appears on retailer shelves.
He's been told that several times every time he says it in a thread. He's just trolling or retarded.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
DiscostewSM said:
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

He's been told that several times every time he says it in a thread. He's just trolling or retarded.
Wintrale's a female and she's only posted once in this thread, I wouldn't say that's trolling nor retarded.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Price cuts do not sell a product to refusing customers or to markets completely distant. The price cut will only increase sales of the 3DS in the first tier. To those who refused consoles like N64 or GCN, the price cut means nothing. I paid around $250 importing the red Japanese DS back in 2006 for the god of sake!

Price Cuts don’t create momentum. Only Games Create Momentum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz