• Start date
  • Views 19,399
  • Replies 205
  • Likes 12
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone is sort of missing the point here. I find it much more likely it's nothing to do with quality or content. There were a handful of M-rated titles that made it onto the wii u and wii respectively. They said in a Senate hearing that it would never be on a Nintendo system, and it isn't. It's much less flattering to turn your back on what you say in a courtroom than to turn your back on releasing one title. Is it the best call, maybe not, you can split hairs. However, they are staying true to the words of their (then) president.

Edit:
Relevant clip is here (with timecode)
Whole hearing is here, the bit I'm referring to is 1:25:55:

Their statements about violent video games are certainly representative of the period and have changed, but he stated for the record that Night Trap will never be on a Nintendo system and it makes sense they would stick to it. Howard Lincoln is a lawyer, after all.

But that hearing is a joke meme now.

Reactions: whateverg1012

Plushie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When the kickstarter for this game was launched, the developer stated, before anyone even asked anything that the game was never coming to the Wii U, apparently because of what happened 20 ish years ago. Then, only a day later, they changed their minds saying: sure Wii U, why not. On top of that, the kickstarter goal was set at 330.000 Dollars. I presume they wanted to make articles, because their kickstarter campaign was going very poorly. In the end they only managed to get 30k ish Dollars of funding. 330.000 Dollars, you can make a whole indie game with that, they wanted that amount just for a (enhanced) port.

The fishiness surrounding their behavior makes me believe their "statement" was cooked up for marketing purposes because the release on PC and PS4 is in a week! Also, the tweet NE sourced has been removed, further fueling my distrust. I wanted to check who asked the Switch question, to see if it was a sock puppet.

shinrukus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And why does it matter to you if more games are available that you are not interested in, as long as this means variety for others?

This line of thinking is what happened with the endless crapware of Wii U games, and Wii games, and really every system that has games people buy for "lolz" I got it, there are games I don't like. I don't like Zelda BOTW personally... But its not a legitimately BAD game, its actually one of the best games of this current Generation, and although I personally don't like it, I understand the need for games of that level of quality. If enough people buy crapware, then its no longer "crap" its a top selling game. We don't need Night Trap back, as the game legitimately sucked. And we don't need any more shovelware on the Switch....

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
This line of thinking is what happened with the endless crapware of Wii U games, and Wii games, and really every system that has games people buy for "lolz" I got it, there are games I don't like. I don't like Zelda BOTW personally... But its not a legitimately BAD game, its actually one of the best games of this current Generation, and although I personally don't like it, I understand the need for games of that level of quality. If enough people buy crapware, then its no longer "crap" its a top selling game. We don't need Night Trap back, as the game legitimately sucked. And we don't need any more shovelware on the Switch....

This is a fine opinion. I will agree that games can be regarded as good even when we do not like them, but in this case, i can name quite a few games i consider total crap, yet gamers are drooling over, namely i.e. Halo. For me it is a waste of development time, but hey, it works for some. Much like rocket league. On the other hand, there is shovelware like 'barbie and the 7 kingdoms' or something similar and there are obscure titles that are almost like a nieche. Many people did not like adventure games on their consoles or strange pc games ported over but these are the ones i had more fun with in the old days (cd-i had many good adventures - Inca, 7th Guest, Lost eden among them - and 3do had weird titles not appealing to many, quarantine and the incredible machine comes to mind), if you liked games on the Pc, all of them were either ports or vice versa.

Yet if you ask, 9/10 people having a Switch (if not 10/10) will say these games are shit and should not be released. My personal take is that it is a very thin line to draw and as such, i would prefer shoverware to be allowed for release and let them decide their future based on sales. Surely, games that will not perform well will simply disappear :)

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone is sort of missing the point here. I find it much more likely it's nothing to do with quality or content. There were a handful of M-rated titles that made it onto the wii u and wii respectively. They said in a Senate hearing that it would never be on a Nintendo system, and it isn't. It's much less flattering to turn your back on what you say in a courtroom than to turn your back on releasing one title. Is it the best call, maybe not, you can split hairs. However, they are staying true to the words of their (then) president.

Edit:
Relevant clip is here (with timecode)
Whole hearing is here, the bit I'm referring to is 1:25:55:

Their statements about violent video games are certainly representative of the period and have changed, but he stated for the record that Night Trap will never be on a Nintendo system and it makes sense they would stick to it. Howard Lincoln is a lawyer, after all.

This is exactly the point, I think. People are praising Nintendo for doing this, but they forget about all of the other garbage shovelware that Nintendo has let slide before in recent times. This is no coincidence, really.
I guarantee that even if the game wasn't bad, Nintendo would still prevent it from being released on their system. They're simply sticking by their word.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see any reason to buy this piece of shit game, but I don't see why it can't just be on the eShop. I can see people actually playing this/streaming this just for the lols though.
The switch doesn't have Streaming capabilities. The PS4 does. Sure you can spend $120 on a decent HDMI streamer/capture card, but it's more simpler to just play it on PS4.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man all this silly debating, and here I am being fascinated by the story behind Night Trap. Again, not sure if anyone posted this, seems like some stupid arguing over censorship and Nintendo. I'm thankful this thread at least reminded me of this interesting product. Like seeing a so bad it's good film, I just get so wrapped in the backstory. This documentary satisfies that interest.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

shinrukus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a fine opinion. I will agree that games can be regarded as good even when we do not like them, but in this case, i can name quite a few games i consider total crap, yet gamers are drooling over, namely i.e. Halo. For me it is a waste of development time, but hey, it works for some. Much like rocket league. On the other hand, there is shovelware like 'barbie and the 7 kingdoms' or something similar and there are obscure titles that are almost like a nieche. Many people did not like adventure games on their consoles or strange pc games ported over but these are the ones i had more fun with in the old days (cd-i had many good adventures - Inca, 7th Guest, Lost eden among them - and 3do had weird titles not appealing to many, quarantine and the incredible machine comes to mind), if you liked games on the Pc, all of them were either ports or vice versa.

Yet if you ask, 9/10 people having a Switch (if not 10/10) will say these games are shit and should not be released. My personal take is that it is a very thin line to draw and as such, i would prefer shoverware to be allowed for release and let them decide their future based on sales. Surely, games that will not perform well will simply disappear :)

One would think that, but here we are with a remaster of Night Trap of all games :rofl2:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll just say this, i find it really retarded that people are defending this and saying they would support this game on the Switch but when Bayonetta 1 and 2 came out on the Wii U the same people ignored the game and didn't buy it because "Lol its the Wii U who cares"

Reactions: AmandaRose

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
No offence but this is one shiiitty game! and doesn't deserve a release on the Nintendo Switch, its an embarrassment and needs putting away with the undead, underground that is. Also @Saiyan Lusitano why do you have to keep opening a new thread for every single little bit of info on the Nintendo Switch??? are you the king of the Switch threads or something? opening a thread nearly every hour! is it necessary? its starting to look retarded in the main column and tbh its getting on my nerves..

Last edited by Reecey,

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No offence but this is one shiiitty game! and doesn't deserve a release on the Nintendo Switch, its an embarrassment and needs putting away with the undead, underground that is. Also @Saiyan Lusitano why do you have to keep opening a new thread for every single little bit of info on the Nintendo Switch??? are you the king of the Switch threads or something? opening a thread nearly every hour! is it necessary? its starting to look retarded in the main column and tbh its getting on my nerves..
"But the Switch needs more exposure and more games"
And to that i say it doesn't, the Switch already had enough exposure and it does have games and more games are coming out this year.

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Night Trap's only selling point was the type of game it was at the time... I remember Night Trap on Sega CD, and I remember my dad telling me I wasn't allowed to play, so I snuck and played it anyway, and realized, it was the dumbest game I have ever seen in my life... Sega CD Had so much crap that the good games like Eternal Champions CD and MKCD got lost in the hype... If they want to re-release a Sega CD game, re-release Lunar for switch... Sonic Mania will make me not give a crap about Sonic CD lol
Honestly, the funniest thing about the Sega CD is that it's not only a nice piece of hardware, but it has boatloads of fantastic games for it too. Like for ever bad fmv game, there's like 3 good games nobody has ever heard about. The thing that killed the Sega cd was Sega of America's Godawful marketing. They thought that the Sega cd's fmv gimmick would be enough, and so besides Sonic cd, they only advertised the fmv games, and as a result, the best games for the system are super hard to come by. This kinda worked out for them, since the Sega Cd is the best selling console add-on of all time, with 25% of genesis owners having a Sega CD too. But again, because of marketing most people's Sega Cd collections were Sonic Cd, and 5 fmv games. If you want to see the best the Sega Cd has to offer, without any fmv games I'd recommend watching this episode of Game Sack.

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really surprised a thread about Night Trap got this many pages. Having not seen all the posts, has anyone posted the theme song?

So 80s!

Holy shit, this theme alone actually makes me want to play the game. Sounds like the theme in one of the crappy Nightmare on elm Street movies. If the game itself is just as cheesy and stupid I might pick it up on Sega cd or ps4 just for the novelty.

Reactions: RustInPeace

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, the funniest thing about the Sega CD is that it's not only a nice piece of hardware, but it has boatloads of fantastic games for it too. Like for ever bad fmv game, there's like 3 good games nobody has ever heard about. The thing that killed the Sega cd was Sega of America's Godawful marketing. They thought that the Sega cd's fmv gimmick would be enough, and so besides Sonic cd, they only advertised the fmv games, and as a result, the best games for the system are super hard to come by. This kinda worked out for them, since the Sega Cd is the best selling console add-on of all time, with 25% of genesis owners having a Sega CD too. But again, because of marketing most people's Sega Cd collections were Sonic Cd, and 5 fmv games. If you want to see the best the Sega Cd has to offer, without any fmv games I'd recommend watching this episode of Game Sack.

Not sure how you arrive at 25% the Sega CD/Mega CD sold 2.24 million world wide the Genesis/Megadrive sold 25 million world wide which works out at just under 9% of Megadrive owners bought the Sega CD/Mega CD system

Last edited by AmandaRose,

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how you arrive at 25% the Sega CD/Mega CD sold 2.24 million world wide the Genesis/Megadrive sold 25 million world wide which works out at just under 9% of Megadrive owners bought the Sega CD/Mega CD system
I swear to god I read somewhere that 1 in 4 genesis owners had a sega cd, but I'm having trouble finding it. Also apparently sales figure estimates have dropped drastically since some forums quote them as being 6 million sold worldwide, but wikipedia now has it at 2.24. Guess I'll eat my shoe on this one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la