Hacking New Super Mario Bros U on Original Wii

Should I continue making NSMBU on Wii no matter what happens?

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I give it 2 months before you give up and just start half assing. Then another 2 months before you give up all together.
I don't like to admit it, but I'm with ShadowSoldier on this one.

It's a commendable goal. But copying the levels themselves isn't the hard part. But creating different suits, the baby Yoshi's, a different world map, bosses and the shitload of secret levels NSMBU has that's going to be hard (or even impossible?) to do.

Of course, nobody expects a full 1-on-1 clone of NSMBU, so you get a bit of slack. My advice is: think thoroughly about what you are and what you aren't going to incorporate in your build. If the baby yoshi's are too hard to do, that's fine. Leave them out. Just don't lie to yourself that you're going to "do that later".
In fact, I'd say to start out with coding the things that aren't copy-paste jobs. That way, you know that once you can start the relatively simple block-by-block copy-paste jobs, the project will go the way you want it to go.

...but like I said: I don't give it much chance. I know it's not pretty optimistic, but unless you've already finished projects of this size, you'll underestimate the amount of work this sort of thing takes.

Reactions: Attila13

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The engines are basically the same in terms of Secret Levels those are easy to put in depending on how many stages are in NSMBU vs NSMB the ammount of levels has to be the same the reggie builder hasn't changed enough to be like the one on DS where you can remake a game with no problems

JacobKibben

Yoshi scared...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like to admit it, but I'm with ShadowSoldier on this one.

It's a commendable goal. But copying the levels themselves isn't the hard part. But creating different suits, the baby Yoshi's, a different world map, bosses and the shitload of secret levels NSMBU has that's going to be hard (or even impossible?) to do.

Of course, nobody expects a full 1-on-1 clone of NSMBU, so you get a bit of slack. My advice is: think thoroughly about what you are and what you aren't going to incorporate in your build. If the baby yoshi's are too hard to do, that's fine. Leave them out. Just don't lie to yourself that you're going to "do that later".
In fact, I'd say to start out with coding the things that aren't copy-paste jobs. That way, you know that once you can start the relatively simple block-by-block copy-paste jobs, the project will go the way you want it to go.

...but like I said: I don't give it much chance. I know it's not pretty optimistic, but unless you've already finished projects of this size, you'll underestimate the amount of work this sort of thing takes.

I indeed agree. This is defiantly harder than I first thought it would be. But I'm not going to completely give up at one point. And if I wind up throwing in the towel, I won't just throw it away. I'd continue working on it here and there. And as an answer to your question, No, I've never actually made full blown hacks. Just little edits here and there, so this is a completely new experience for me. But no matter the cause, I really want to try and do this. Both to just enjoy the fact that "Hey... I actually did this!!!", and because if I finish this one day, I'll be able to enjoy the game with out the $400 Device... (and others if I put it online.)

JacobKibben

Yoshi scared...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the people of the Internets!

I have downloaded the entire NSMBU Soundtrack and converted them to .brstm files. However, I have been unable to find a tool that I used to use that would patch the BRSAR File so that they would loop correctly. If any one knows where I can find the tool, or an alternative to patching the BRSAR, please tell me where to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JacobKibben

Yoshi scared...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can help you. i own a wii U and NSMBU
You could help by letting me borrow so that I can actually see exactly what's their because using walkthough videos limits me to seeing what the player in the video does. But that would probably never happen. I mean, their's no way that someone would just let me just borrow the console and game for two reasons. There's the slight chance that I could just run off with it, and I'm only 12 years old...

tysonrss

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I give it 2 months before you give up and just start half assing. Then another 2 months before you give up all together.
I'd give it 3-5 days before he simmers down. I know how the whole thing goes, you have a cool idea and want to implement it but the workload and stress adds to it and then you give up.

JacobKibben

Yoshi scared...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd give it 3-5 days before he simmers down. I know how the whole thing goes, you have a cool idea and want to implement it but the workload and stress adds to it and then you give up.

To everyone in the world... I'm sorry, but this guys right. I mean, after Taleweaver said what he said, I realized that there's way more to remaking a game than just copying the levels. There's new objects, the World Map, the Music... This projects dead, already. And this thread may also be closed in a little bit. I'm sorry to all you people for getting your hopes up... However, look out for a new thread about it being remade on the DS! I read it's a lot easier on DS...

tysonrss

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone in the world... I'm sorry, but this guys right. I mean, after Taleweaver said what he said, I realized that there's way more to remaking a game than just copying the levels. There's new objects, the World Map, the Music... This projects dead, already. And this thread may also be closed in a little bit. I'm sorry to all you people for getting your hopes up... However, look out for a new thread about it being remade on the DS! I read it's a lot easier on DS...
You read its a lot easier so you think you can still do it? You READ? You sound like you have no experience, please stop trying to attempt these things. I have been in your shoes dozens of times. Everyone seems to think because you have a cool idea, you can instantly learn programming with ease and get straight to work.

There is a lot more to it then that. It takes quite a bit of time to learn. In addition you need to learn how the DS/Wii games even work before "copying" anything, which isn't even possible in the first place.

Reactions: Attila13

JacobKibben

Yoshi scared...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read its a lot easier so you think you can still do it? You READ? You sound like you have no experience, please stop trying to attempt these things. I have been in your shoes dozens of times. Everyone seems to think because you have a cool idea, you can instantly learn programming with ease and get straight to work.

There is a lot more to it then that. It takes quite a bit of time to learn. In addition you need to learn how the DS/Wii games even work before "copying" anything, which isn't even possible in the first place.

I already know how to program\hack DS. It's the Wii that I'm confused with... Plus, I was gonna get on and tell the world that the Wii Recreation Project was back on, but I just found out that my virus protecter got a false positive and deleted all my work, so now I'm doing it on DS.

libertyernie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internet tip: never announce a project before you have something concrete to show off, or everyone will mock you. That's just the way it is.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already know how to program\hack DS. It's the Wii that I'm confused with... Plus, I was gonna get on and tell the world that the Wii Recreation Project was back on, but I just found out that my virus protecter got a false positive and deleted all my work, so now I'm doing it on DS.

Would you continue on the Wii again if you found this?

yoshidude27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking that I could figure out a powerup in NSMBWii closest to the actual power up in NSMBU.

For example, Acorn Suit = Propeller Suit.

That is... Unless someone out there knows how to make custom powerups in NSMBWii.

Contact the Newer Super Mario Bros Team (Newer Team). They added a new power-up in their game.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still... am I the only one who finds it's fricking hilarious and sad that People want Nintendo games enough to hack them to other system... but NOOO better not buy the damn systesms!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month...