New Pokémon Let's Go trailer shows new features and changes to the world of Kanto

Nintendo has released a brand new trailer for Pokemon Let's Go. In it, we can see some new features, mechanics, and details for the game. Some of these additions include a new design for Blue/Gary, now called a "friendly" rival. Players can also dress up their character with different clothes, and can alter the hairstyle of their Pikachu and Eevee. You can traverse the world by riding large Pokemon, such as Charizard, Onix, and Arcanine. When your Pokemon follow you ala HGSS, they can also find items in the overworld for you. Pokemon Let's Go launches on November 16.

Official promotional art and a new Kanto world map were also released, which you can see below.

IMG_9839.JPG IMG_9840.JPG IMG_9841.JPG IMG_9842.JPG

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather have had a gen 2 remake than a gen 1 remake, as you get Kanto and Johto. :P Plus, I like a lot of the Pokeman in gen 2 :/

It kinda feels weird now when starting in Johto and going to Kanto because Kanto didn't feel as fleshed out and only there to pad the game. On the other hand, I would be happy if they announced Johto as reasonably priced DLC.

Remove the water segment separating New Bark Town and Victory Road and allow players to play both regions in any way they want. People may not like it but I think level/difficulty scaling would make it feel more fluid. After initiating a battle with a gym leader or during an important story segment, the NPCs' pokemon in the area/story are "locked in" and the difficulty for remaining uncompleted areas would increase by one. This way somebody could complete Johto first and with all the HMs, complete the gyms in Kanto in any order while still facing increasing difficulty. If somebody wanted to, they could get all the badges from both regions and do both rounds of Elite Four back to back. Which set of Elite Four you face first would be dependant on which set of badges you complete first and being able to fight anyone of them at any time after defeating "Red" would be cool.

Reactions: chartube12

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind the Kanto remake...but making Blue/Gary a friend is...weird. Really weird.
You're not playing as the same character as you did in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. These are completely new characters, thus different rival!

Oh, and, umm, the new characters you play as also live in the same house as you did in Red/Blue/Yellow, I think. lol

D

Deleted User

Your... ahem... "friend" is supposed to be a rival. A major annoyance. So what in the piss is going on there?

Further more, by jesus, that has to be the laziest trainer design ever done.

Other than that, I still say the game looks absolutely stunning, I can't wait to run around like an idiot on an Arcanine.

And yet, I just cannot get that nagging feeling out of my head because of the lack of wild battles and included Go mechanics. I REALLY dislike those choices.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Luckily this is a spinoff aimed to GO casuals.
I cant wait for the real core Pokemon Switch next year.
You're seriously overestimating the impact of wild Pokemon battles. If that's the one feature you consider to be "non-casual," then Pokemon as a whole is still a casual game series. Which really isn't too far off from the truth, it's always been a lot more casual friendly than your average RPG. It's not until you start worrying about IVs/EVs that things get a little more advanced, but a person can beat any Pokemon game without concerning themselves with that stuff.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
You're seriously overestimating the impact of wild Pokemon battles. If that's the one feature you consider to be "non-casual," then Pokemon as a whole is still a casual game series. Which really isn't too far off from the truth, it's always been a lot more casual friendly than your average RPG. It's not until you start worrying about IVs/EVs that things get a little more advanced, but a person can beat any Pokemon game without concerning themselves with that stuff.

Catching Pokémon is one of the most strategic elements in the core Pokémon games and I'm not sure how you could say otherwise. Gym Battles are as well, of course. We're not counting multiplayer here because that one is obvious.

When you take away most of the strategy from catching Pokémon, it's quite possible a lot of the fun goes with it. Do you really enjoy catching Pokémon in Pokémon GO? I really don't. It varies from being boring to being outright frustrating. Your options are throwing berries to make the Pokémon move less erratically (basically a replacement for status conditions), throwing a berry to make it less likely to flee (I guess this is a pseudo replacement for abilities that have a similar effect, though in this battle style, any Pokémon can flee at any time, seemingly at random), or throwing a ball of choice, which is obviously not a substitute for anything. The problem I have with battles like this is that there are not enough ways to improve capture rate or to stop the wild Pokémon from running away. Some of this could be remedied by allowing more than one berry to be in effect at a time, or by allowing a trainer to use items with different abilities in Wild Battles, but not being able to weaken a wild Pokémon is a huge downgrade in the whole capturing experience.

You can call it casual-friendly as it were, sure, it was. But then why is there a need to further simplify it? They're trying to pull in PoGO players and people with Genwun nostalgia. Simple as that, and it'll probably work, too. Outside of that reason, I can't think of a single logical reason to oversimplify the battle mechanics, but maybe I'm missing something.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Catching Pokémon is one of the most strategic elements in the core Pokémon games and I'm not sure how you could say otherwise.
Seriously? How is it at all strategic? You False Swipe with a strong Mon then you throw a ball. Only with really high level/legendary Pokemon is there any relative difficulty to catching, and even then it's mostly about ball selection.

Do you really enjoy catching Pokémon in Pokémon GO?
It shortens the whole process so I don't mind it. It's a different kind of skill-based as well, since the throw actually matters and not just the wild Pokemon's HP/status. They essentially replaced 1-2 attacks with 1-2 berries, so the difference between systems isn't all that drastic when it comes down to it.

They could've changed it in some other way too, but I like the idea of having clear differences between the catching phase and the battling phase. Adds a little variety.

Last edited by Xzi,

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Kanto with less features than a game from 2003... Totally gonna buy this!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ps the 2003 game is FireRed and LeafGreen

Reactions: damiano2712

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Kanto with less features than a game from 2003... Totally gonna buy this!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ps the 2003 game is FireRed and LeafGreen
AFAIK FireRed/LeafGreen didn't have follower Pokemon or PokeRide or most of the features shown in this trailer. Care to explain what "features" they've removed?

Volttekka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK FireRed/LeafGreen didn't have follower Pokemon or PokeRide or most of the features shown in this trailer. Care to explain what "features" they've removed?
FireRed and LeafGreen had a full set of islands known as the Sevii Islands that 1) actually managed to give an interesting postgame, 2) enabled breeding, as the old daycare still only allowed a single pokemon to be deposited, 3) gave Moltres a thematically-appropriate residence, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting.

Reactions: damiano2712

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FireRed and LeafGreen had a full set of islands known as the Sevii Islands that 1) actually managed to give an interesting postgame, 2) enabled breeding, as the old daycare still only allowed a single pokemon to be deposited, 3) gave Moltres a thematically-appropriate residence, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting.
Sure, but it'd be foolish to assume all that didn't make its way over to Let's Go before we've had the chance to play it.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should be in the base game, not as DLC. If it will happen, it will show how much Game Freak has become worse and worse over time.
Hah, like hell would Game Freak be willing to add 100 extra rideable Pokeman. Game Freak has gotten lazy as fuck over the recent years. It's hard to believe, that once they added an entire region to the game, because they thought the game might be too short, and made it a surprise.

At least I hope they add the Sevii islands :/

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't hate friendly rivals, hec between Barry, Cheren, Bianca, arguably Hugh and Hau we have more good friendly rivals than non-friendly ones. Hec, unpopular opinion - Silver was shit below even XY circle of friends.
B-but this? A design-wise downgraded version of OG rival that will lack his legendary jerkiness? The whole force driving narrative of Gen I/III Kanto was fierce rivarly between player character and that annoying dude with huge ego that was always 1 step before, with climatic clash on the top as grand final.
Having a friendly rival in the remake of Gen I game is antithesis of having a remake of Gen I game. Fierce, motivating rivarly with a jerkass dude is what made it work in the first place for fuck's sake.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Having a friendly rival in the remake of Gen I game is antithesis of having a remake of Gen I game. Fierce, motivating rivarly with a jerkass dude is what made it work in the first place for fuck's sake.
Does it really matter? Don't most people just skip as much dialogue as possible? Your rival always sucks as a trainer anyway, and that's been my biggest peeve for a while. He stops being motivational when you're battling him with six Pokemon to his three, and your Pokemon are higher level regardless. Really we just need difficulty levels implemented, or at least NG+.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto