New PlayStation 3 4.90 firmware update released

fkfgor.png

No, you haven't accidentally woken up in 2007. While Sony has indeed pushed a new firmware update out for the PlayStation 3, making the 15-year-old console as stable as ever, the contents are fairly standard. The patch notes don't give any helpful clue as to the contents of the update, but given the last few PS3 firmware updates we've seen, it's likely just a Blu-Ray-related tweak. If you've still got your system hooked up, you can download the new OFW today.

:arrow: Source

BlessedDog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've always wondered. If standalone Blu-ray boxes can play new releases with ease, why does PS3 need these yearly Blu-ray patches?
I've pondered this too. I did some googling, could it be this? Maybe they distribute the BluRay keys OTA instead of discs like the wiki states?

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping for the cr2032 bug fix that PS4 got since cr2032s are a bitch to swap out for most units. 4GB support would be sweet over the shitty 1.75gb limit
I wish that were the case. They patched both the PS4 and PS5 like a year ago IIRC. I wouldn't necessarily say it's the swapping the batteries that's the issue, it's once PSN goes down and the DRM doesn't work when the battery dies that'll be the real bitch.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep happened to my super slim. Was happy using a wired controller and a ethernet cable. Updated the firmware now stuck in a loop. Tried the whole yanking the hdd even got to 99% once. Still keeping the hardware hoping somebody figures out a solution in the future.

When i just saw the news about a new ps3 firmware. I had a little bit of hope it might fix this issue.
Very unlikely they will fix it, but I have had random luck pulling the plug and waiting an hour, leave it looping overnight, then repeat.

I’m not sure why that works, but I was able to get through two updates. Never trying again though hah.

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since when did a page about a SINGLE small update for an extremely obsolete console nobody cares about anymore managed to get to the TOP of the FRONT PAGE?:ninja:

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
WHATS THE POINT?!
The only real update would be if they gave us the keys of console so we can use it since we payed for it, and its been 12 years, they are not even making games for it anymore!

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
For what does Cinavia need updates? It detects infected material and that should be everything.
Luckily I've not yet encountered any of this rubbish.
I do not know close details about this so take this with a grain of salt but what I understood is the protection has "versions". Physical media protected by this system (i.e. blu-ray movies) have a fixed, clear key and the specification of the Cinavia version. Every time a round of blockbusters come by they update the version. A newer version comes with a modified decryption algorithm.

For the PS3 to keep playing newer blue-ray movies, an update is required to support the new decryption algorithm and a new key table. The key table contains thousands of keys, not all of them will be used during lifetime of that algorithm version.

These custom decryption algorithms decrypt the data. For decryption, at least that I know of, the disk key, the correct key from the key table of that version and the date are required to decrypt something. Mainly, the date is used to compute what key will be used for the table, that key then is processed with the disk key through the algorithm to decrypt. Every new version changes the order of usage of the keys, the content of the keys, the size of the keys and the robustness of the algorithm to be used to decrypt. Movies from different versions are encrypted different and only players supporting all versions are able to play the disks.

Long story short, is not a protection meant to be strong, but to be malleable and upgradable with time. So requires updating.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whelp, thankfully was able to successfully update to evilnat 4.89. not yet checked if a 4.90 was released yet.

I think I can safely uninstall the rebug toolbox at the moment.

Still, uhm... Curious. Is Artemis-ps3 still being worked on? Or has it been supplanted by something else? Seems as of now, I have yet to be able to have any of its cheats work as intended.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having a media format that requires constantly updating seems like a poorly thought out idea. I understand there’s reasons for this but it’s really not compelling me to ever want to buy a Blueray movie or player. Just seems inconvenient to need to wait for a firmware update before I can enjoy a movie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone