New Atari 2600/Sega Genesis Consoles & Handhelds Announced

Capture.JPG

The Nintendo NES Mini has come and gone but what's in for those who wanted re-releases of their favorite retro SEGA and Atari consoles?

AtGames might have listened to you since the company has announced its Fall 2017 lineup of classic gaming hardware, including new premium HD versions of their classic gaming consoles: the Atari Flashback 8 Gold and the Sega Genesis Flashback. Each console includes a selection of built-in Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis 16-bit games, respectively, as well as 21st century-esque features, including wireless controllers.

FB8280C_ID_TV.jpg

Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

These consoles along with additional products, including the Atari Flashback Portable Game Player and the Sega Ultimate Portable Game Player will be available at all major retailers in Fall 2017. However, no word about the pricing yet.

:arrow: SOURCE

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ATGames is making it? :rolleyes: Knowing their track record, the emulation sound quality's gonna be top notch, I can feel it. :lol:

Atgames just sounds low quality. I don't know why.

Well, the emulation quality for sound is way off, even unofficial emulators like Gens Plus are better, heck, so is Fusion, and that's free lol

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a sound fix for some of the ATGames Genesis machines but it requires a little work.

That's just it, though, people shouldn't have to do the work that ATGames failed miserably at doing from the get go. They should at least put for some actual effort.

Reactions: CathyRina

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it, though, people shouldn't have to do the work that ATGames failed miserably at doing from the get go. They should at least put for some actual effort.

Oh I am not saying it's right, just that if you really wanted too. That it is possible to fix it yourself.

I suspect that ATGames just has some Chinese company whack these out as cheaply as possible and does the minimum effort to get them "working" or else these fix's wouldn't be possible.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I am not saying it's right, just that if you really wanted too. That it is possible to fix it yourself.

I suspect that ATGames just has some Chinese company whack these out as cheaply as possible and does the minimum effort to get them "working" or else these fix's wouldn't be possible.

It reminds me of Sega's own piss poor efforts to emulation, only once have they used good emulation, the Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube had pretty good YM2612 emulation, but on Steam, they use Jenesis DS as a code base :lol: That's pretty sad, if you ask me, games like Alien Soldier run to fast, and the sound is garbled pretty bad too.

D

Deleted User

I don't understand the appeal of these systems. You're buying an emulator designed to look like actual hardware. If you want actual hardware then get on eBay and if you want an emulator then type "goodgen 3.21" into google.

The ultimate way to play a Sega Genesis is to buy a Genesis 1 with a VA6 motherboard, a proper CRT gaming monitor and Mega Everdrive then perform the following mods.

- Sony CXA1645 video encoder
- Stereo sound
- 50/60 hz and region switches
- Probably some others that I've forgotten. I used to be really into retro mods but these days think I was wasting my time and money.

Personally I'm happy with emulating the system. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to fix Sega's mistakes and make the actual hardware actually good.

Last edited by ,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the appeal of these systems. You're buying an emulator designed to look like actual hardware. If you want actual hardware then get on eBay and if you want an emulator then type "goodgen 3.21" into google.

The ultimate way to play a Sega Genesis is to buy a Genesis 1 with a VA6 motherboard, a proper CRT gaming monitor and Mega Everdrive then perform the following mods.

- Sony CXA1645 video encoder
- Stereo sound
- 50/60 hz and region switches
- Probably some others that I've forgotten. I used to be really into retro mods but these days think I was wasting my time and money.

Personally I'm happy with emulating the system. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to fix Sega's mistakes and make the actual hardware actually good.

The problem with going with real hardware is doing all those mods can be quite costly, topped off the fact most people don't have CRTs anymore. I bet anything the sound emulation on this thing will suck.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a gaming console and I were watching Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft going to each others' necks like crazy while I occasionally make 1-2 games from my studios per year I would simply port my games into those consoles' virtual machine. I know Sega is doing it, why not Atari? Why releasing these inconvenient piece of plastics?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hopefully they'll at least fix the sound issues, but considering they have had multiple iterations of the Genesis clones already, and they all had the same issue, I'm not too hopeful.
I'm one of those stupids that bought a Genesis (Megadrive) from them, because you could actually put in a gamecartridge :)
But you can forgive me from buying it, cause it was on sale for €4,99 and for that price i couldn't let it in the store :D

Yeah, sound is a bit crappy, but not that bad and most cardridges play fine, once and awhile you get some gfx glitches in some games, but, not so bad it gets annoying.
It's perfectly fine to let my kids play on it to get that gaming feeling that i had, i don't want them to play on my Megadrive I with MegaCD I and 32X fully region modded with multibios
or on the MegaDrive II with MegaCD II and also a 32X fully modded with MultiBios and 50/60hz switches!
Why not? :P
AtGames use shitty software emulation on an ARM processor iirc - it's not even console-on-a-chip famiclone style - for their mega drives, avoid them at all costs...
But so does the NES classic. Doesn't necessarily mean it has to be bad.
Edit: Actually no, AtGames ones use real hardware, check the video someone linked above. I seem to remember actually hearing something about why the sound is so bad, they couldn't get the original Yamaha YM2612 chip due to licensing issues or maybe they were just too cheap. I might be remembering wrong though.
I'd rather get a Cyber Gadget Retro Freak, it supports carts as well, but actual ROM dumping onto internal memory and/or SD cards lol, I can back up my games. Retron5 is kinda meh to me.
I think I'd rather go the DIY route, get a Raspberry Pi 3, a Retrode and a suitable case (like a gutted broken SNES) and put it all together.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather get a Cyber Gadget Retro Freak, it supports carts as well, but actual ROM dumping onto internal memory and/or SD cards lol, I can back up my games. Retron5 is kinda meh to me.

The Retro Freak has been on my radar for a while now... It's the system I would buy if I was going to buy something for playing carts.

The reason I find the Retro Freak appealing is mainly for TG-16 emulation, it's one of those systems where emulation is hit and miss and the hardware is either flaky or expensive and yet has so many great games... On the downside for that system is it's best games are on CD's and no system does CD's yet :( (not including original hardware lol)

But yeah just spend like 300 on a Shield TV Pro for all these systems, has a controller for games, 500 GB's of internal storage, you can watch video on it when not playing games. The system is fast enough for all these old systems has enough space to hold a metric ton of games. It's expensive compared to these ATGames things, but the quality is going to be insanely better and you can do like way more than 1 system... If your going to be emulating anyway you might as well be doing it great.

I would say build a nice PC for emulation, but getting into GameCube or PS2 or anything more than what the Shield TV can do the price starts shooting up exponentially. (My personal rig can do GC and PS2 but it was a bit more than 300 dollars.)

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles, like these, which are easy to emulate have no purchase appeal for me. Any chance of a Sega Saturn version of this? That I would seriously consider buying. Also these retro consoles not having cordless controllers seems silly in the year 2017.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Consoles, like these, which are easy to emulate have no purchase appeal for me. Any chance of a Sega Saturn version of this? That I would seriously consider buying. Also these retro consoles not having cordless controllers seems silly in the year 2017.
No one should purchase AtGames products, that's the whole point that should be done here.

If anyone wants a Mega Drive / Genesis TV emulator box then just buy an Android or Ras Pi which offers way more and for less.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recall being on various ROM hacking places and seeing people want to hack ROMs to make them work, or work better, with these devices. The list of fixes requested made me laugh for the amount of effort that would be required to do something I was probably still enjoying on my original xbox.

Then again the NES classic kicked off despite also being less than stellar and outperformed by then over a decade old hardware.

I can't rule out the company having a turnaround but given the awfulness of their previous stuff would have taken active effort I am not going to be betting on it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying the Sega genesis classic by AtGames the other day, its a solid machine. My biggest gripe is the wireless controllers and selection menu. I can look past the audio, wish they had save states like the NEs classic.
Had to buy this to collect it, also another gripe is the packaging everything was loose inside.

The new version is what I wanted out of the old version, probably going to pick that up to.

Last edited by Cha0tic,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.