Hardware New 3DS ribbon cable / pull sockets for home button, mic, nfc

gohan123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hi,

I bought a used new 3ds knowing that the home button wasn't working. I thought this will be a easy task to fix. so I looked on a dissembly video and read comments. I found a comment which mention 4 sockets which can easily be damaged. one for the mic, nfc reader and the home button. 4. socket unknown. at this moment I already suspcected the worst so I tried the mic ... not working .. nfc .. propably not working because it gives no reaction to a nfc tag while my wiiu says "not an amiibo".

so I opened it with my father and was shocked for the moment, here are 2 photos:

https://imgur.com/a/of8Uv

2 sockets were with wadding for pressure, 1 for the mic was just lose and the one for the home button destroyed.

the 2 with wadding we didn't touch, the mic one we tried to pull down and got a drop of glue. it stayed down but the mic is still not working.

the home button one my father did tiny soldering (the best he could, but propably not the best here around), thank god (my father) the home button is working again.

I was able to install b9s and anything else is working fine. but I'm still interested for what the 4. socket was and how we could fix the other sockets (besides soldering it directly to the circuit board)

Reactions: Idrolitina

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I say this a lot in the hardware section because it's a common thing... so, here's a quote from me.
So, somewhat of a hack suggestion...

Hot glue. (I've done this on more than one console, they're both still fine.)
You're not repairing the connector with it, you're using it to secure the cable connection.

Place the FFC in the cable slot and align it where it needs to be.
Take a smallish drop of hot glue and put it on top of the aligned cable.
Quickly, lick your finger and press down on the hot glue.

If it doesn't work the first time, use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to remove the glue and try again.

This works because, the pressure of you pushing the hot glue makes the connection between the FFC and it's contacts..
Licking your finger makes the glue cool quicker, as well as protects you from burns..

gohan123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I say this a lot in the hardware section because it's a common thing... so, here's a quote from me.

hmm I will try to find someone who could borrow me one of those. do maybe know for what the 4. socket is? the one more in the middle is propably the nfc reader. besides the mic and nfc the 3ds works fine so I don't want a third thing being broken if it is something more important

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm I will try to find someone who could borrow me one of those. do maybe know for what the 4. socket is? the one more in the middle is propably the nfc reader. besides the mic and nfc the 3ds works fine so I don't want a third thing being broken if it is something more important

The two bottom connectors are home button, and microphone. the one near the circle pad should be bottom LCD backlight, and the one near the left side of the board is probably nfc.

Reactions: gohan123

gohan123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can someone tell if 3ds tells "not an amiibo" if you use a random nfg tag like the wii u does? because the 3ds doesn't react at all so it's hard to tell if it's working or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.