GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The games I enjoyed, which might not be too hard:
Bubble Bobble
Snake Rattle n Roll (easy at first, damn hard at the end, but really good replay value)
Double Dragon (but already suggested)
The NewZealand Story (Suggested too)
Maniac Mansion (Point and Click, so no death ;o)
Boulder dash
Gauntlet (but, two players is more fun and easier, prevent death).
Earthbound Zero (RPG. only on emulator)
Shadow Gate !! must have game :D
Dragon Ball
Solstice
Track and Field (Aka : Smash the button faster !!! too slow, you lost!)
California games

Little harder:
Faxanadu (Metroidvania)
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest (First Metroidvania in the series)
Shadow Warrior (Ninja Gaiden)

Too hard (for current standard of course) :
Battle of Olympus (Metroidvania)
Gradius, Life Force (shoot'em up)

I always wanted to play Little neo, and Rad Gravity but never bought them.
I'm sad that I sold my NES. I wish I could buy one again and buy my games back too.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Many many NES games are considered hard by today's standards. They were hard to create an artificial sense of replay value. Pretty much the only way they could do it within hardware limitations.

is that the reason or is it that modern gamers just lack the precise timing required to conquer most 2d platforming experiences? i never found nes games difficult in my youth, and i find them even easier now. but when i talk to gamers who grew up with the n64 they complain that nes games are overly difficult.

-another world

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
is that the reason or is it that modern gamers just lack the precise timing required to conquer most 2d platforming experiences? i never found nes games difficult in my youth, and i find them even easier now. but when i talk to gamers who grew up with the n64 they complain that nes games are overly difficult.

-another world
I grew up with the NES, and I found (and still found) most of those games hard. That said, I only owned less than half a dozen games, and none of them were particularly challenging (SMB, Duck Hunt, Bart vs. the World, Final Fantasy, Tetris).

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninja Gaiden :ninja: .

In all seriousness though, the allure of many NES games really is that they're hard. If you're worried about dying a lot, don't. Just keep playing - there are few games on the NES that weren't designed to be replayed over and over again. As for games that won't just trample over you the instant you press start, I'd probably recommend Gradius. It can get pretty challenging (and there's an SNES version) but it starts off nice and easy and doesn't spike in difficulty all that often, at least to the best of my memory.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

-another world

I grew up playing snes and later ps1 games. Trust me, nes games are too much difficult... I have played almost every 2d mario game and I still didn't manage to beat the original Super Mario Bros (without save states or cheating). Snes games have reasonable difficulty and ps1 is slightly easier. About today games, you got checkpoints and saves everywhere... the only reason one person doesn't beat a game is because he/she doesn't want to, not because of not being able to.

Now just think about it, most nes games lacked save features, so they either used password or didn't have any way to resume game at all. Games that don't have save or passwords must be designed to be beaten in few hours, so the only way to make the game's life longer is to increase difficulty, often forcing gamers to memorize every level or use gamesharks. In the snes era, saves were much more common so games started getting easier.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ninja gaiden was hard (but mostly on user's precision on jumps and action).
I never could complete that game, I always lost all my lives at the same spot.
But it was a good game.

I think the NES games looks hard now because we are used to run in the action, easy controls, lot of HP, etc.
While NES games looks more strategic, take your time jump at the right moment and not too soon, be patient to avoid enemies, do not hurry in the action.

But I didn't play a NES games for a long time now, I'm curious to see how well or bad I would do.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many many NES games are considered hard by today's standards. They were hard to create an artificial sense of replay value. Pretty much the only way they could do it within hardware limitations.

Some easier games: Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Phantasy Zone, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Alfred Chicken, Captain Skyhawk (Still moderately difficult), Clash at Demonhead, Crystalis, Excite Bike, Legendary Wings, Little Nemo: Dream Master (A personal favorite), Lode runner, Mike Tyson's Punchout, The NewZealand Story, Rygar, Skate Or Die, Smash TV, Snake Rattle n Roll, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Wild Gunman
Did you see google on monday?!

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Some easier games: Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Phantasy Zone, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Alfred Chicken, Captain Skyhawk (Still moderately difficult), Clash at Demonhead, Crystalis, Excite Bike, Legendary Wings, Little Nemo: Dream Master (A personal favorite), Lode runner, Mike Tyson's Punchout, The NewZealand Story, Rygar, Skate Or Die, Smash TV, Snake Rattle n Roll, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Wild Gunman
Did you see google on monday?!

Hell yes. I thought it was pretty awesome. When I was a kid, I watched the movie on an almost daily basis (good movie, too, btw), and beat the game so many times. Though I never familiarized myself with the original book/comic until I was well into my 20s.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have the HUGE comic book in our media library at college. My professor always speaks very highly of that great man and his art.

Also one of my friends wanks to Nemo so hard. I installed an NES emulator on my Wii and he would come over to my room and play Little Nemo for hours, then eventually i gave him a flash kart and an NES emulator haha

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
We have the HUGE comic book in our media library at college. My professor always speaks very highly of that great man and his art.

Also one of my friends wanks to Nemo so hard. I installed an NES emulator on my Wii and he would come over to my room and play Little Nemo for hours, then eventually i gave him a flash kart and an NES emulator haha

It certainly is one of the top 10 NES games, and my personal favorite. The arcade game isn't that bad either. You should check out the movie if you get a chance. After reading the comic, I think it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

OutVolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't know why, but Little Nemo is fun.
If you like rpgs, Dragon Warrior games are not that bad.
Startropics is fun, but hard.
Nightmare on Elm Street is a fun sidescroll that can have up to 4 players.
Rush'n Attack and Super Mario Bros. 3 is another fun sidescroll.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres some game like a space shooter but i cant remember what its called. Instead of space, you are driving a car on a free way really really fast and you can shoot other cars. The freeway changes in lanes and stuff making the game very interesting but i cant remember what its called.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Theres some game like a space shooter but i cant remember what its called. Instead of space, you are driving a car on a free way really really fast and you can shoot other cars. The freeway changes in lanes and stuff making the game very interesting but i cant remember what its called.
I believe you're talking about Spy Hunter, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Hunter

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I grew up playing snes and later ps1 games. Trust me, nes games are too much difficult...

i grew up playing games a few generations before the snes. to this day i do not find nes games difficult. i can beat most games between 1 sitting and a few days. i find 3d games on my ps3 much easier. it seems that while some of the modern games require some trial and error, i do not own a single game i have not beat. perhaps i still find nes games easy because i never stopped playing them. at one point they weren't that difficult and now they are rather easy. am i the only one who can beat contra with 1-2 lives? =/

-another world

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i grew up playing games a few generations before the snes. to this day i do not find nes games difficult. i can beat most games between 1 sitting and a few days. i find 3d games on my ps3 much easier. it seems that while some of the modern games require some trial and error, i do not own a single game i have not beat. perhaps i still find nes games easy because i never stopped playing them. at one point they weren't that difficult and now they are rather easy. am i the only one who can beat contra with 1-2 lives? =/

-another world
In other words, you're a seasoned veteran. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erx1deZJT8Y&feature=plcp

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i still find nes games easy because i never stopped playing them. at one point they weren't that difficult and now they are rather easy.

Exactly! For example I never player mega man games and I have a hard time when I try to play them, but my friends can easily go through the levels as it was an easy game. At the same time, games like Super Mario World and DKC2 are too easy for me. (I know most SMW hidden secrets and many warp barrels on DKC2 even though it's been years since I had a snes)

Reactions: suppow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, I might resume using gdevelop