somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Spinal could be right, but I dont see how his theory could work for a real 3d effect that doesnt put strain on your eyes.
I did just put out proof that my way of making 2d to 3d works. And its not that difficult to do. I believe it could be done on any emulator with a little power to spare and some custom instructions.

Taking 2 identical pictures, and separating them will not make 3d. SBS is built on 2 different pictrures separated. They are different in terms of angle.

SNES doesn't have 2 identical pictures, they have layers of different sprites that fit together to make the full image. Creating "space" between these layers by shifting them a bit left or right, like spinal said, would be all that's needed to create a 3D effect.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
SNES doesn't have 2 identical pictures, they have layers of different sprites that fit together to make the full image. Creating "space" between these layers by shifting them a bit left or right, like spinal said, would be all that's needed to create a 3D effect.

You dont understand how 3d works :)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You dont understand how 3d works :)
I don't see much wrong with the proposed method.
With SNES layers, shift layers either further from the back, or the front, slightly left on one image and slightly right on the other. The further back/forward, the more slight the adjustment.
What might happen is that graphical glitches could occur, things like hitboxes or where the graphics appear on screen might behave oddly (think Mario's position on the ground), but it is worth seeing if it can be done properly.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I understand how 3d works, i have proven it..Whatever you whant to say...
I do too, I have rendered out 3D images of my own that look correct on the 3DS, and even taken magic-eye images off of Google image search, and made them viewable in 3D on the 3DS.

It's cool, the 3DS can actually do magic eye pictures for the user.

Reactions: Presto99

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
1. - here is the post with the yoshis island pic, using seperations, not stretching. -- http://gbatemp.net/threads/snes-emu-mockup-with-3d-pic.300926/
2. - before you say that I don't know how 3D works, I assure you I do, very well.

By separating each layer a different amount, it gives each eye a different image. Like I said, not only does this work, but it works very well indeed. You do not NEED different angles to create a 3D effect, only different images. Also, like I said before, ANY SNES emulator would be able to do this with no effort at all. I have created MANY 3D pictures using this method. As I mentioned, Colors! 3D uses THIS EXACT METHOD. Are you telling me that Colors! 3D has no 3D effect?? How about SwapNote? That uses THIS EXACT METHOD also.

Please accept that What I am saying is true and that no stretching or 'other angle' is required.

Reactions: chyyran

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Psst- http://www.alister.eu/jazz/oj/download.php

Granted none of those appear so much on the DS (not sure of the state of things as far as Dingux goes) and I believe we are supposed to ignore the GBA game when in polite conversation. Hopefully the 3ds will be able to see a proper port of SDL made.

Yeah, I know of OpenJazz. But sadly that was never available for the DS. I'd love to have Jazz Jackrabbit with me on the go. I still need to finish that game one day, but on my PC I have so much more games it easily gets lost. On the 3DS would be perfect.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
1. - here is the post with the yoshis island pic, using seperations, not stretching. -- http://gbatemp.net/threads/snes-emu-mockup-with-3d-pic.300926/
2. - before you say that I don't know how 3D works, I assure you I do, very well.

By separating each layer a different amount, it gives each eye a different image. Like I said, not only does this work, but it works very well indeed. You do not NEED different angles to create a 3D effect, only different images. Also, like I said before, ANY SNES emulator would be able to do this with no effort at all. I have created MANY 3D pictures using this method. As I mentioned, Colors! 3D uses THIS EXACT METHOD. Are you telling me that Colors! 3D has no 3D effect?? How about SwapNote? That uses THIS EXACT METHOD also.

Please accept that What I am saying is true and that no stretching or 'other angle' is required.

Dont tell me that you made that picture using your mothod cause I notice that that it kind of uses "my method" without stretching somehow. And how they managed to extract larger fields of layers I do not know. Yeah.. If you can do that then you dont need to tretch at all..
If you look at each layer with one eye at the time you will start to notice that the pictures are not clones. They are in fact parts of and whole picture just like I did with my picture. I know that its not just "separation" because each picture has the same resolution as the "whole" while still holding individual detail.
I still dont buy the whole clone and separate.

BTW.. someone sent a zip folder with mario bros 3 MPO pictures with a popout effect.. They look like crap on the 3ds, I dont believe that someone spent time making those pictures. Its just as I said before, dont try popout on 2d mario games. The popout effect is very limited and works best if it doesnt meet the outer borders of the screen. There is a big difference between "making 3d" and "making good 3d"! please learn that.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Dont tell me that you made that picture using your mothod cause I notice that that it kind of uses "my method" without stretching somehow. And how they managed to extract larger fields of layers I do not know. Yeah.. If you can do that then you dont need to tretch at all..
If you look at each layer with one eye at the time you will start to notice that the pictures are not clones. They are in fact parts of and whole picture just like I did with my picture. I know that its not just "separation" because each picture has the same resolution as the "whole" while still holding individual detail.
I still dont buy the whole clone and separate.

BTW.. someone sent a zip folder with mario bros 3 MPO pictures with a popout effect.. They look like crap on the 3ds, I dont believe that someone spent time making those pictures. Its just as I said before, dont try popout on 2d mario games. The popout effect is very limited and works best if it doesnt meet the outer borders of the screen. There is a big difference between "making 3d" and "making good 3d"! please learn that.

Here is a DKC image, cross-eyed because I don't have any software for saving .mpo in this computer, created by shifting layers left or right. NO STRETCHING. All current SNES emulators are capable of doing this right now, which was what your main question was about.

stereokong.png

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a DKC image, cross-eyed because I don't have any software for saving .mpo in this computer, created by shifting layers left or right. NO STRETCHING. All current SNES emulators are capable of doing this right now, which was what your main question was about.

stereokong.png

This picture is pretty cool but it's also flawed and needs some stretching lol. The layers do not have the same resolution as the screen by separating them like that. This makes the background layer visible on each side.
if you stretch each picture just a litle to fill that gap it will solve that problem. There! Do you see my point now?

And if you dont believe me, here you go. I took your picture and made a .MPO out of it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihe6y57w14873y

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

stereokong.png

Wouldn't this be a problem for games that use heavy priority-by-tile backgrounds? It differs from the GBA hardware, because with the GBA, it does priority-by-layer backgrounds.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country

stereokong.png
And yeah. Take a look at what I did find! SparroHawc Official Android Porter:
Unfortunately there's no really effective way to do this without specific emulator settings for each game or game engine. Different games will deal with parallax in different ways, and on top of that, you would need to shift the background each time a new screen loads AND make the background images slightly wider or restrict the traversable areas a bit l. It's a minor gain for a lot of work, and it would have to be repeated for every ROM.

Sorry. :/

Source: http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4815

Now maybe you can accept it when someone else sais the same thing...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Which games use priority by tile? All the SNES games where I've bothered disabling background layers used the layers in order, certain ones before and after the sprite layer.

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't read enough into how the SNES handles background priority. I was thinking it was like how the GBA does it, except on the tile-level rather than the layer-level (priority 0-3 and such). Just checked here, and it is quite different from what I was thinking it was, as each "mode" has a set priority, with only 1 bit to discern if the tile is in front of behind a sprite at that same level.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The nice thing about the SNES is that to make it easier on the developer the scrolling of the different layers was somewhat hardware controlled so in the case of an emulator, the emulator has to take care of that anyhow, no tricky interpretation needed.

Depending on what chip the cartridge was using, there were also other semi-3D effects that took place like having a sprite zoom from the the background into the foreground (Ridley escaping from the space station in Super Metroid as well as the ship in those cut scenes ... Boswer in Mario World ... and I also remember throwing people onto the foreground in a Ninja Turtles game.)

Since the Emulator has to take care of these anyhow, adding a little 3D effect from the REAL hardware doesn't sound that difficult.
(Some of the nicer ones would be things like Mario Kart or any FX chip games ... zooming in on the map in Zelda, Link to the Past, might look a little awkward, though, but I could be wrong.)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
This picture is pretty cool but it's also flawed and needs some stretching lol. The layers do not have the same resolution as the screen by separating them like that. This makes the background layer visible on each side.
if you stretch each picture just a litle to fill that gap it will solve that problem. There! Do you see my point now?

And if you dont believe me, here you go. I took your picture and made a .MPO out of it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihe6y57w14873y

As I said, there is no need to stretch at all. There is only a 4 pixel difference on either side, just clipping those 4 pixels off would prevent any leaking of the layers while at the same time preserving a 1:1 pixel ratio, keeping the image almost exactly as it would be on SNES hardware (ish). My point still stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1