Neimod has full kernel control from an unmodified 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Just say it, you want the 3DS blown wide open and everyone can get to do it. ^^
I don't blame ya, the 3DS homebrew scene would really flourish when even more people can do R&D.

I want the 3DS blown wide open ;) But not for piracy. Actually I don't really care since I value my collection of games and im going to keep expanding it.
But dont get me wrong, I dont really care for protecting the system from piracy either. I just want Homebrew and the ability to write my own code to run on my 3ds.

I love the theming possibilities of the PSP and jailbroken iOS devices and I love running emulators and to experiment with your own code on those devices.
And I don't think that neither iOS or the PSP had a bad life even thou there was piracy, Heck! not even the Nds had a bad lifetime. But that may be thanks to a lot of parents :)

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap if Vita got a full official android install (with flashable ROMs and hardware acceleration, fuck the PS3's gimped Linux) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I would drive out to Walmart at 3 AM to get one the moment it happened.

EDIT: Today's late Rydian post is brought to you by the letter Q!

me too!!! it would be a dream come true..having android on vita lol... no need to buy a nexus 7 then haha

Removing the region lock and opening up the media capabilities is what's exciting me the most about hacking the 3ds. with the wii and ds I also used it to demo games but the 3ds is capable of giving one demos and releasing emulated games via the e-shop. Also last gen for nintendo was full of garbage games so that didn't help there.

I guess it would also be nice to have my entire collection on an SD card but to be honest, I usually play one game exclusively so this won't bother me at all.

me too! being able to play the full 3d movies would be great

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By all means, it is the perfect system to do it too.
Hmm, what was the resolution of the Virtual Boy anyway? It's not like the virtual boy had a conventional screen.

384X224X2 (had 2 screens.)

I too would like to see a VB emulator on the 3DS, maybe some one could even come up some sort of filters to add color to the games.

Kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't already done this, at least with Wario Land, put it on the Virtual Console.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
384X224X2 (had 2 screens.)

I too would like to see a VB emulator on the 3DS, maybe some one could even come up some sort of filters to add color to the games.

Kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't already done this, at least with Wario Land, put it on the Virtual Console.
That's...quite curious actually.
Seeing as the 3DS top screen is 400x240x2, a VB emulator would display perfectly and only have an 8px border.
Yes I too am surprised as to why Nintendo hasn't jumped on this. VB Wario Land stands to be the best title for the system.
But on top of the VB library being quite small, a number of titles are not that remarkable.

Still, a VB emulator could even have colour configuration. Just simple options like Red or Monochrome, Standard palette or negative.
Seeing as how the VB frequently used red as a white substitute, so colours in a sense were illustrated in negative space. White on black rather than black on white for most Gameboy games.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's...quite curious actually.
Seeing as the 3DS top screen is 400x240x2, a VB emulator would display perfectly and only have an 8px border.
Yes I too am surprised as to why Nintendo hasn't jumped on this. VB Wario Land stands to be the best title for the system.
But on top of the VB library being quite small, a number of titles are not that remarkable.

Still, a VB emulator could even have colour configuration. Just simple options like Red or Monochrome, Standard palette or negative.
Seeing as how the VB frequently used red as a white substitute, so colours in a sense were illustrated in negative space. White on black rather than black on white for most Gameboy games.
Idk... perhaps it was more akin to the fact that it used t give massive headaches and dizziness after long hours of play. And the fact that you couldn't turn the 3D off unless just removing your eyes from the console..
It's funny though, because for me, it usually take long loads of time before it takes effect. (Yes, I have a friend who owns it.)
Still I must say, the virtual boy is an interesting piece of technology, even though it massively failed.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I really wonder if it somehow would be possible to make an emulator that could output games like "super mario world" in 3d by stretching the layers in the game and create depth between them?
Like the closest layer would not be stretched at all and identical to both eyes while the background would be stretched and partly shown on each eye. That would be a really cool thing if it could work.
But it would probably need some smart game identification system and people creating fixes for each game in order for it to work. How else would the emulator know what order the layers are and how much each layer would be streched?

The reason why I think that this could be possible is by looking at the Snes emulator for NDS "SNEmulDS" and how it works with layers. This may or may not be possible at all, but I think its a pretty cool idea.

Reactions: Maxternal

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I really wonder if it somehow would be possible to make an emulator that could output games like "super mario world" in 3d by stretching the layers in the game and create depth between them?
Like the closest layer would not be stretched at all and identical to both eyes while the background would be stretched and partly shown on each eye. That would be a really cool thing if it could work.
But it would probably need some smart game identification system and people creating fixes for each game in order for it to work. How else would the emulator know what order the layers are and how much each layer would be streched?

The reason why I think that this could be possible is by looking at the Snes emulator for NDS "SNEmulDS" and how it works with layers. This may or may not be possible at all, but I think its a pretty cool idea.

The emulator would have to know what order the layers are so they could be rendered correctly anyway, the 3D part would also be trivial, all it would need to do is move each layer further to the left (or right) in one of the views. transforming a layer based console emulator to 3D would be easier than cake. Also stretching would be a bad idea, just shifting left or right would be far better.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
The emulator would have to know what order the layers are so they could be rendered correctly anyway, the 3D part would also be trivial, all it would need to do is move each layer further to the left (or right) in one of the views. transforming a layer based console emulator to 3D would be easier than cake. Also stretching would be a bad idea, just shifting left or right would be far better.

As I said the emulator would need to know the order of the layers, but I believe that could be done by some kind of 3d configuration database-file that keeps 3d settings for each game. How is it that streching would be a bad idea? Would it not make for a more natural 3d effect with less eyestrain? If you look at the actual 3ds games they apear to have higher resolution and a larger field of view in 3D-mode right. Thats because thats exactly what it has. This cannot be replicated in a 2d game by just cloning each layer and separating them.
You have to stretch the background-layer so that you eyes can see defferent parts of it. Or am I wrong? Cloning a background-layer would probably be better if you want the Popout effect? But I dont think that popout would work in a 2d mario game. Im just guessing on this one.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
All SNES (for example) emulators know what order the layers are in, if they didn't then the game would not render properly. I might not have worded that very well in my first reply, sorry. So that part of the task is already done by default. All stretching the image would do is, well, stretch the image, it would not add to or detract from the 3D effect, no difference at all.
3D mode does not need higher resolution, that has nothing to do with anything. Cloning each layer and separating them would work just fine, that is exactly how Colors! works. There was even a yoshi's island 3d image posted on the gbatemp forum some time ago using this exact method. :)

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
All SNES (for example) emulators know what order the layers are in, if they didn't then the game would not render properly. I might not have worded that very well in my first reply, sorry. So that part of the task is already done by default. All stretching the image would do is, well, stretch the image, it would not add to or detract from the 3D effect, no difference at all.
3D mode does not need higher resolution, that has nothing to do with anything. Cloning each layer and separating them would work just fine, that is exactly how Colors! works. There was even a yoshi's island 3d image posted on the gbatemp forum some time ago using this exact method. :)
Yeah I get your point but you don't really get real 3d depth if you are just cloning and separating. You need to show your eyes different things in order to get the 3d effect, and my point is that this could be done by slightly stretching the background a few pixels in order to get that ske effect. Take a look at NSMB2 and you will notice that same thing in the background if you closing one eye at the time. And yeah, the order of the layers are already there in the game but for the emulator to understand the order and how to work out the 3d may not be just that easy. Sorry I'm not trying to sound rude or anything. I guess I'm just so psyched about the 3ds scene starting to take form :)

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.maxconsole.com/news/DS/M...out-potential-3DS-piracy-RKLS00000018870.html

-quotesnip-

I call BS on this. Just because your game didn't sell well doesn't mean people pirated it. There's so many other factors to that. Was it marketed correctly? Did anyone know of this game? Heck I've never even heard of the first one.

On Asahi you can read that the sales of DS games dipped harshly during 2009, and the number of illegal downloads increased similarly.

Could this possibly have anything to do with the recent global recession, hmm? Games are luxury items, and people's wallets aren't limitless. What on Earth do you expect people to do? It's not like the companies in question have ever demonstrated the moral integrity they so casually expect from consumers.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I made a lite small cross eyes proof of concept about my 3d theory. I dont really have the "know how" of how to extract snes layers and convert them into pictures so I found a few pictures on google and did some photoshoping http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa223/Dani_Northstream/Mario3didea_zps934f6110.jpg

It giver you an idea of how it would work with stretched backround layers and clones foreground layers. However I did not put much time into this it could probably be done much much better.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I get your point but you don't really get real 3d depth if you are just cloning and separating. You need to show your eyes different things in order to get the 3d effect, and my point is that this could be done by slightly stretching the background a few pixels in order to get that ske effect. Take a look at NSMB2 and you will notice that same thing in the background if you closing one eye at the time. And yeah, the order of the layers are already there in the game but for the emulator to understand the order and how to work out the 3d may not be just that easy. Sorry I'm not trying to sound rude or anything. I guess I'm just so psyched about the 3ds scene starting to take form :)
I'd like to see an emulator that can give original nes games a really dramatic pop out effect like the mpo pic generated of smb3 here
http://www.mediafire.com/?nyel73ib082arwg

I think spinal is right, shouldn't be too difficult

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Rumble
PilotWings
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Mario Tennis
New Super Mario Bros: 2
Style Boutique

My friend and I have be compiling a list, and these games were on there December 6ish. Anyone know when this whole thing started? :D

AHEM.^^^ Does anyone know what unit they're using? These games were on the European eShop. If anyone has an exact date we could uh, single out the game possible.

EDIT: Not single out, but clean up some games that couldn't be them.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AHEM.^^^ Does anyone know what unit they're using? These games were on the European eShop. If anyone has an exact date we could uh, single out the game possible.

EDIT: Not single out, but clean up some games that couldn't be them.
Most of the released preview images are from Japanese systems, no?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Full kernel control is amazing! As long as he completes a 3DS HBC installer before he releases the hack, we can all install it before Ninty patches it.

On a side note, I have an R4i SaveDongle and not a lot of money, so people jump on that :P

EDIT: Looks like the 3DBrew wiki took down that news post; I can't see it from the link.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to see an emulator that can give original nes games a really dramatic pop out effect like the mpo pic generated of smb3 here
http://www.mediafire.com/?nyel73ib082arwg

I think spinal is right, shouldn't be too difficult

Spinal could be right, but I don't see how his theory could work for a real 3d effect that doesn't put strain on your eyes.
I did just put out proof that my way of making 2d to 3d works. And its not that difficult to do. I believe it could be done on any emulator with a little power to spare and some custom instructions.

Taking 2 identical pictures, and separating them will not make 3d. SBS is built on 2 different pictures separated. They are different in terms of angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/d7mkQP8