Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, that did the trick!

It's kinda weird though, I was doing all the other versions of CATSFC with ARG loading just fine with the PLG in the plugin folder.

It was a newer addition to 1.29 or 1.28. But now you can move the entire CATSFC folder to the plugin folder using the ARG loading method since the folder is found based on the path of the .plg file.

If the path to the plugin is:
/_ds2plug/snesStuff/catsfc.plg

CATSFC will look for all its settings folders in /_ds2plug/snesStuff/ as if the snesStuff directory was the CATSFC directory.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Has CATSFC Extlink support?

Edit: Also, can you incorporate pictograms (like *A) for UP, DOWN, LEFT and DOWN?

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still getting the load state bug on the sound (left speaker, turns up the volume and gives out a distorted / crackling sound) in the new version.
I've tried different things to possibly finding a workaround like loading up save states with mute, then turning on the sound etc. But to no success I'm afraid.

Reactions: ferret7463

Intranet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a friend translating this into Japanese, hopefully I can figure out how to commit the translation otherwise I might just PM the result through to you Nebuleon, if that's ok. I don't know how long he'll be. I'm MasterofWaves on GitHub (I just created the account now :P)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Edit: Also, can you incorporate pictograms (like *A) for UP, DOWN, LEFT and DOWN?
What is an extlink?

Are the directions needed in the interface somewhere?

Still getting the load state bug on the sound (left speaker, turns up the volume and gives out a distorted / crackling sound) in the new version.
I've tried different things to possibly finding a workaround like loading up save states with mute, then turning on the sound etc. But to no success I'm afraid.
I do not experience this. Which game?

I've got a friend translating this into Japanese, hopefully I can figure out how to commit the translation otherwise I might just PM the result through to you Nebuleon, if that's ok. I don't know how long he'll be. I'm MasterofWaves on GitHub (I just created the account now :P)
Oo, Japanese. Excellent! I might just be missing a lot of hiragana and katakana though, and I'm not sure at all about the kanji.

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

CATSFC does not have EXTLink support. It grabs its launch parameters from the plgargs.dat file created by BAGPlug and iMenu/whatever other menu happens to create the file.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do not experience this. Which game?

Oh I'm sorry, the only game I've used save states in so far is in Aladdin (U). So I assumed it was a problem with all games.
I tried it out on some of the games I had and they worked properly except:
Aladdin (U)
Mega Man X (1.1) (U)
Demon's Crest (U)

At first I thought it was just an issue with Capcom games. But Final Fight and Knight's of the round worked fine.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
What is an extlink?

Are the directions needed in the interface somewhere?

EXTLinks are like arg parameters in BAGPlug/iMenu but for Moonshell2, but also BAGplug i can remember that support it

CATSFC does not have EXTLink support. It grabs its launch parameters from the plgargs.dat file created by BAGPlug and iMenu/whatever other menu happens to create the file.

May be too dificult to implement on CATSFC? I still use MS2 very often.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I'm sorry, the only game I've used save states in so far is in Aladdin (U). So I assumed it was a problem with all games.
I tried it out on some of the games I had and they worked properly except:
Aladdin (U)
Mega Man X (1.1) (U)
Demon's Crest (U)

At first I thought it was just an issue with Capcom games. But Final Fight and Knight's of the round worked fine.
That might be down to the SPC700 save-state restoration code having bugs. Porting a version above Snes9x 1.43 into the code would solve a lot of problems, but 1.53 might not run as well on a DSTwo as well as on a PC... plus, 1.53 has loads of C++ that the DS2 SDK chokes on. I discussed this somewhat already from post #81 onwards, if you want a refresher or just haven't seen that part. :)

Additionally, as mentioned in the Snes9x 1.52 change log:
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The structure of savestates (also known
as snapshots / freeze files) is incompatible with older
versions! Snes9x 1.52 cannot read the savestates created
by 1.51 or older. (zones)

So then, one would need to create a compatibility layer between the old and new save formats, allowing the "old APU" saved states to be restored with suitable variables in Blargg's SPC emulation, otherwise the problem becomes worse than garbled sound - it becomes loss altogether of your saved states.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Can MoonShell 2 launch .plg files?
Nop, that's a different way to launch files within Moonshell2 (MS2) like if the emulator will be a plugin.
MS2 is the OS (ala BAGplug), you lauch a .smc file and ms2 launch catsfc with the selected file like an argument.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nop, that's a different way to launch files within Moonshell2 (MS2) like if the emulator will be a plugin.
MS2 is the OS (ala BAGplug), you lauch a .smc file and ms2 launch catsfc with the selected file like an argument.
Yeah, I know that, but in the course of looking for a suitable application for a file, will MoonShell 2 (DS code) be aware of the fact that it's running on a DSTwo and correctly launch CATSFC (MIPS code)?

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The emulator is working fantastic now, near all my games are perfect :D
But unfortunately all the Megamen X games are very slow, skips too many frames to the point you get hit by shot/enemies without seeing happening :(

I hope with time and code optimizations it gets better *crosses fingers* :)

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I know that, but in the course of looking for a suitable application for a file, will MoonShell 2 (DS code) be aware of the fact that it's running on a DSTwo and correctly launch CATSFC (MIPS code)?
That's beyond my knowledge and catsfc will be the first homebrew for ds2 to try it. BAGplug can use that system also, may be a good OS for testing

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The emulator is working fantastic now, near all my games are perfect :D
But unfortunately all the Megamen X games are very slow, skips too many frames to the point you get hit by shot/enemies without seeing happening :(

I hope with time and code optimizations it gets better *crosses fingers* :)
At least now that I know the DSTwo-DS communication problems are solved, that's less shaky code to base more optimisations on. However, what I would like to see right now are:
* fixing crashers (like >512-file directories, needs more dynamic memory allocation and the file selector code is a mess) and testing for file corruption (/CATSFC/gamerts had corrupted-named files in it before 1.29, but BassAceGold's filesystem access code is in now so it may improve);
* game compatibility for the esoteric game types and memory maps (SuFaMi Turbo, Satellaview, jumbo ROMs, etc.), as well as a proper way to specify BIOSes for those cart-in-cart games;
* game compatibility for heavily audio- or timing-dependent games (such as BS Zelda no Densetsu not booting);
* fixing audio glitches that come up every so often, including the saved-state audio bug (try this one: load BS Zelda no Densetsu, watch it not draw anything for a few seconds, then load Secret of Mana and listen to its intro);
* translations to even more languages.

It just so happens that a lot of the esoteric game support and audio stuff was added or fixed in later Snes9x versions, so what I really need now is some porters - people willing to look at later Snes9x code and integrate pieces of it into CATSFC as is needed to improve game compatibility. The porters could very well dump entire files from Snes9x into CATSFC, overwriting DS2-specific optimisations I've made over Snes9x 1.43, for all I care. Optimisations are easy to redo. First, make it work (compile and run correctly), then make it work well (run correctly and fast).

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's beyond my knowledge and catsfc will be the first homebrew for ds2 to try it. BAGplug can use that system also, may be a good OS for testing

Moonshell needs to be able to launch supercard plugins, which it can't, for extlink to be of use. CATSFC could be made to load something using extlink, but then you'd need something to boot the plugin after moonshell creates the file.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw from the other SDK thread that the DSTWO can go above lvl 5 clock speeds now, will higher speeds ever be implemented into CATSFC?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw from the other SDK thread that the DSTWO can go above lvl 5 clock speeds now, will higher speeds ever be implemented into CATSFC?
That stuff's highly unstable, and if proper safeguards are not in place (such as telling the user that his/her game exited abnormally last time and offering to return to CPU 5), a faulty CPU speed may end up being selected by game configuration files for all future runthroughs until the user deletes the file. And for some reason, some of those higher CPU speeds run slower than the nominal 360 MHz - must be memory timings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!