Hacking NDS to get official Opera based web broswer?

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
indeed, and the stylus makes it even better
laugh.gif

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya, I'm curious to see if this browser cart is dumpable as a rom... like someone said above though, it might not be..

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More reading...
Web Browsing Comes To DS
http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2006/02/web_browsing_co.html

Opera for Nintendo DSNow this is a nice surprise. Opera (you know, the web browser folks) have announced a version of the Opera web browser for the Nintendo DS. It will ship as a DS game card, meaning you'll have to buy the "game" and put it into your DS every time you want web access. I'm starting to think the DS needs more game card and pak slots. The catch? For now the browser will only be available in Japan. Hopefully it'll expand to other places before too long.

This is wonderful news for DS owners. I've thought since Day One that the DS had to have web access, as it seems like every other handheld gadget these days can check e-mail and provide news clippings and such. The dual screens and touch screen make the DS and much more natural fit for a web browser than systems and units with only a single small screen or one that is reliant on arrow keys to do the browsing. Kudos to Opera and Nintendo for making this happen at last. Now get to work on a worldwide release. Oh, and no bugs or security holes, please.

And even more...
Nintendo DS Gets Opera Web Browser
http://www.i4u.com/article5113.html

Nintendo DS Gets Opera Web Browser Technology News, Electronics Buy Guide and Gadget Review Nintendo announced today at the Nintendo DS conference in Japan a web browser for the Nintendo DS.

The Nintendo DS browser is based on Opera. It uses both screens and the touch panel input. The big screen shows a section of the page and the small one the whole web page. Text input is done via the stylus and handwriting recognition.

All this would make the Web browser superior to the browser available on the Sony PSP. The DS browser is no firmware upgrade though and costs money.

Nintendo will start selling the DS browser in June for 3,800 yen (~$32) in Japan.

More details on the Nintendo DS Conference slides (Japanese)...
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsconference2006s/page13.html

See also the Opera press-release, which contains a bit more details about the DS Browser...
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just read that this thing will use both the DS and the GBA slots. Does this mean we'll be able to save bookmarks and such?

Where did you read that? I've only heard it being a DS cart so far.

I read it at the ndsupdates site............Next, what most DS owners have been waiting for, is the Wi-Fi enabled web browser. Set to debut in June, the browser will utilize a customizable Opera system and the software will use the DS and GBA card slots on the DS for a "double attachment". As would be expected, the bottom screen can be used much like it is used in Pictochat, were you input characters and type there. What's interesting is that webpages can be displayed on both screens, where the lower screen can be used to click on links and icons. Nintendo is promising easy character input (this is Japanese, remember) because of the touch screen capabilities.

ChaosTheorySD

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Very exciting.

But even if they don't release the web browser outside of Japan, couldn't you just import it? I'm sure there would have to be some Enlish language support built in, since people in Japan don't only go to Japanese websites.

And now I just wish the DS would support WPA encryption so I could use it at school.

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1st thought: Sweeeeet.
yaynds.gif

2nd thought: DS Virii. Noooooo...
frown.gif

3rd thought: Firmware upgrades finally possible? If not, DS demos?

skywarp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
1st thought: Sweeeeet.Â
yaynds.gif

2nd thought: DS Virii. Noooooo...Â
frown.gif

3rd thought: Firmware upgrades finally possible? If not, DS demos?

Alot of interesting things should be possible with homebrew add-ons to this, direct download DS "demos" and homebrew games are the first that come to mind. Official demo downloads are pretty probable.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SWEEEEEET!!!!! man the ds just keeps getting better and better
smile.gif
. i get moonshell embedded into my m3 with the new software, and now im hearing of a cool looking tv tuner AND best of all internet browsing!!!!!!!!!!

man the only thing that would make this sweeter is an snesds and an nes ds update
smile.gif
tongue.gif

GO OPERA!!!! i dont use you on my cpu but dang im happy to have you on my ds
smile.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Christ, why's everyone getting hyped over this?
Web browser: The PSP has it.
Tv tuner: The friggin' Game Gear had it. It's 10+ years old.

Web browser: The PSP has a crappy browser cooked up by Sony, not professional like Opera.
TV Tuner: The Game Gear tuner was analog and not Digital.

Now please move along and let us be excited lol
biggrin.gif

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is no new stuff here.
Move along.

yup, and now the DS will have both... and you know what, probably if you get laid, you'd end up being less of an ass to everyone.
there is no reason to put everyone down for being excited over something new - this is a GBA/ND enthusiast website, and if you are not enthusiastic about either of the two, or if you are not willing to except the fact that others are - then you move along please.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

There is no new stuff here.
Move along.

yes, but what nintendo fan in thier right mind wants to travel with an extra psp for internet and a gamegear or gba for a tv tuner when i can have them both for my ds and travel with them AND keep it portable... thats why the heck were happy.. some of us enjoy the fact that we can have everything all in one and not have to carry around 3 different hanhelds
tongue.gif
its called convenience...it makes people happy
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo