Review NDS Adaptor Plus - Review and Opinions

Kentoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose you two have been luckier than I have when dealing with them. Reading back, my comments do seem to generalize the entire service, but I was not and still am not impressed with their service and the way I was treated. If you've had better luck than I have, then all the better to you. I've not had a shipping problem since I stopped using Canada Post, so I stand by my comments.

Also @how_do_i_do_that: I updated my firmware on the 3DS launch day and tried it out myself on my Lego Star Wars III cartridge, and it does appear to work, however the save seems to be encrypted, as searching for common bytes in a hex editor returned no results. I'm currently investigating the matter further.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am still waiting for the import games I ordered to come in, so I haven't updated the NDS adaptor+ yet.

There are only 2 types of saves availavle at the moment, Flash and EEPROM. Be aware that eeprom data has every other 8 bytes flipped. Are you looking for any hard data numbers?

I'll have to wait and see if it is encrypted or not when I get my games that I ordered for the NA 3DS in the mail.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
how_do_i_do_that said:
I am still waiting for the import games I ordered to come in, so I haven't updated the NDS adaptor+ yet.

There are only 2 types of saves availavle at the moment, Flash and EEPROM. Be aware that eeprom data has every other 8 bytes flipped. Are you looking for any hard data numbers?

I'll have to wait and see if it is encrypted or not when I get my games that I ordered for the NA 3DS in the mail.

Maybe a (very) stupid question, but weren't 3DS games saved on the system instead of the cartridge?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some games store online stats like SSF4 on the 3DS.

Other games like Lego Star Wars III has no online component (I may be wrong, I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet). Any save for that is stored on the cart.

Much of this confusion is because some people can't read japanese and confuse things like the Software Library record of the game and how the extra data management works (this is where your SSF4 online stats show up), even though they got a japanese 3DS.

Not all games have or use the extra data for online use.

Kentoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did a bunch more searching but I still can't find anything that says it's not encrypted. Could just be the game though.

If anyone wants to take a look at my Lego Star Wars III save file, you can download it from here:

http://www.fileize.com/files/aad8011d/90e/...ar_Wars_III.zip

It is an EEPROM, according to NDS Adaptor Plus, and I have 15680 coins on it. I know Lego games don't use the last digit so I also looked around for just 1568 in hex but still couldn't find anything, or any combination thereof.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looks to be encrypted. Either that or the save dump is done wrong by the tool.

I didn't find anything remotely looking like 0x3D40 or inverted 0x403D .

Instead of using 00 as it uses FF for empty spaces. It begins at 180. If the save dump is valid, it would mean the save data is encrypted.

hex_starwars.png

Kentoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to save my game up and then run some save file comparisons to see where the changes are being made. I'm going to try to limit the changes to my coins only. I'll post the results.

Edit:

Far too much changes, even if all I'm doing is buying a 500 point hint. I'm going to keep hunting, but due to the fact that there's a lot going on I'm not holding out hope for a quick discovery.

Edit 2:

I managed to get 2 save files that are relatively close to one another. There's still a lot going on every time I save the game, despite the small change I make, but at least I'm a bit closer. I figure if I can find the offset that the coin value is stored at I can play with it and see what happens, then record the results. See if there's some kind of pattern to it.

Sub Edit: I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, but if anyone wants to take a look with me, here are the 4 save files I've ripped so far:

http://www.fileize.com/files/798bcd5b/83c/LSW3.zip

3 and 4 are the most alike. The first one on there was saved coming out of story mode, the rest were saved after buying a 500 coin hint.

LSW3(1): 89550 coins
LSW3(2): 89050 coins
LSW3(3): 88550 coins
LSW3(4): 88050 coins

Comparisons seem to indicate huge blocks of data being shifted, inserted, removed and replaced upon each save.

Edit 4:

I figured I should start a proper thread for this, so I did:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=286607

Gonna move all my findings to that thread as it's in a more relevant section.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn