Hardware Homebrew My Wii has a broken SD Card Slot, what do I do?

liamZ2r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently purchased a Wii Console off eBay, but the SD card slot is giving me this error 'The Device inserted in the SD Card Slot cannot be used.'

I have tried 2 different SDHC cards, and two different SDHC compatable adapters, and none work, one of those being one that does work with my other Wii Console.

I have tried all of Nintendo's Support TroubleShoots and none have worked for me.

Can I use Homebrew without SD functionality, I know how to Homebrew through USB, but can I use apps and such with USB, or does it have to be SD? And if it has to be SD, is there any fixes anyone can suggest for me? maybe a guide or something, or even just some troubleshooting.

Attachments

• obs64_2022-06-09_17-10-33.png
    obs64_2022-06-09_17-10-33.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 101

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have recently purchased a Wii Console off eBay, but the SD card slot is giving me this error 'The Device inserted in the SD Card Slot cannot be used.'

I have tried 2 different SDHC cards, and two different SDHC compatable adapters, and none work, one of those being one that does work with my other Wii Console.

I have tried all of Nintendo's Support TroubleShoots and none have worked for me.

Can I use Homebrew without SD functionality, I know how to Homebrew through USB, but can I use apps and such with USB, or does it have to be SD? And if it has to be SD, is there any fixes anyone can suggest for me? maybe a guide or something, or even just some troubleshooting.
Wouldn't a "broken" sd card reader, well, not read the sd card at all? From the pic you posted it means that's working in some capacity. @XFlak can correct me.. :)
What i suggest doing is cleaning the sd card slot from any debris or dirt stuck inside there, use a q-tip or something smaller and a flashlight to look at what you're doing, until the pins are not blocked or anything.. Worth a try imo if you haven't already..

liamZ2r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
U can still do most things except install and use bootmii to make or restore a nand backup.

U can even use uneek if u launch it via usbloader gx instead of bootmii.

Most other apps will work fine without SD.
using str2hax, i cannot get past the HackMii Privacy 'Press 1' screen. And after my third try, no success. I've waited 6 minutes on the screen and no 'Press 1' has shown, nor has pressing 1 regardless worked, ill try cleaning the SD slot like @CoolMe told me to do, ill keep you updated :P

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using str2hax, i cannot get past the HackMii Privacy 'Press 1' screen. And after my third try, no success. I've waited 6 minutes on the screen and no 'Press 1' has shown, nor has pressing 1 regardless worked, ill try cleaning the SD slot like @CoolMe told me to do, ill keep you updated :P
Are you using an official (genuine) Wiimote?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You able to do a disk update?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wouldn't a "broken" sd card reader, well, not read the sd card at all? From the pic you posted it means that's working in some capacity. @XFlak can correct me.. :)
It is just a switch recognizing something in the slot. Any SD shaped object will cause that message if it cannot be read (insert an empty micro-SD adapter which has no electronic components and will not do anything on it's own).

Reactions: CoolMe

liamZ2r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i am an absolute idiot. it is on firmware update 3.4....

yeah. 🤦

flowlapache

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Xflak is the man for the wii!!!
if with this disk update it doesn't work more and after very nice cleaning, and if you have time and skills, maybe you can try to change the sd reader, or buy another wii could be the solution to have sd back..But if you can use homebrew through usb since this update, you're ok!!

Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay