Hardware My thoughts and observations on 3DS and dedicated handhelds

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Who would buy Star Fox 64 for the 3DS or Uncharted for the PSV, when they can get Angry Birds for 1/40th of the price?
Who would buy angry birds when you can play flash games for free?

Well, other than the iUsers without flash, that is.

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully over the next 10 years almost all hardcore gaming comes back to the PC and only the PC and if you want to play hardcore games on the go you could get gaming netbook. Imagine playing zelda, halo ,and uncharted all on the same device it would be the consumers dream. And you could also have a Mobile device that had an awesome OS and internet (thats all you really need is internet. phone companies charge you for talking and texting because they like your money) This would be the best future ever i have some other ideas where your mobile device would be connected to your computer via internet and basically the mobile device would serve as a user interface device and all the real processing would be happening in your home on your desktop computer but current bandwidth limitations stop this from happening but it might happen in 7 to 8 years yaaaaaay

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
iPhones and iPods WILL take over. Video games really do only have a few years left. People are thinking that they can get quality entertainment for 1 dollar, and that's mainly true nowadays.

lol.

QUOTEWho would buy Star Fox 64 for the 3DS or Uncharted for the PSV, when they can get Angry Birds for 1/40th of the price?

Anybody with the power to use 1/40th of their brain to see that Angry Birds sucks.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Slyakin said:
Who would buy Star Fox 64 for the 3DS or Uncharted for the PSV, when they can get Angry Birds for 1/40th of the price?
Um...a lot of people.

By a lot of people, you probably mean gamers. Unfortunately, the userbase isn't all gamers anymore; Some think that they're getting a better deal with cheap games on the App Store.

_Chaz_ said:
QUOTE(Slyakin @ Aug 21 2011, 12:29 PM)

Funny story: I tried convincing a kid at my school that Angry Birds was a ripoff of a flashgame.

Me: "Angry Birds is just Crush the Castle!"
Kid: "No, AB has better graphics (wut) and I can take it anywhere!"
Me: "What about New Super Mario Bros DS?"
Kid: "That's a ripoff of a flashgame."
Me:
181.jpg

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Slyakin said:

This, I've noticed that there are a crapload of Flash Games that are pretty high quality. And free.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Slyakin said:
iPhones and iPods WILL take over. Video games really do only have a few years left. People are thinking that they can get quality entertainment for 1 dollar, and that's mainly true nowadays.

lol.

QUOTEWho would buy Star Fox 64 for the 3DS or Uncharted for the PSV, when they can get Angry Birds for 1/40th of the price?

Anybody with the power to use 1/40th of their brain to see that Angry Birds sucks.
Unfortunately, what may suck to some (I hate Angry Birds too) may be the best goddamn thing ever to another. People's interests are changing now; If they want some cheap gaming, they go to the iPod/Android.

And more and more people want cheap gaming.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
machomuu said:
Slyakin said:
Um...a lot of people.
By a lot of people, you probably mean gamers. Unfortunately, the userbase isn't all gamers anymore; Some think that they're getting a better deal with cheap games on the App Store.
By "a lot of people" I mean exactly that, gamers or otherwise.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Wow, I just realized how horribly I worded my post. Lemme try again:

The "lot of people" is shrinking every day. Sure, many may want SF643D, but nowadays, many others want to buy that fancy new iPod4 and buy AngryFruitNinjaBlockShakeThing on it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fergieboy10 said:
hopefully over the next 10 years almost all hardcore gaming comes back to the PC and only the PC and if you want to play hardcore games on the go you could get gaming netbook. Imagine playing zelda, halo ,and uncharted all on the same device it would be the consumers dream. And you could also have a Mobile device that had an awesome OS and internet (thats all you really need is internet. phone companies charge you for talking and texting because they like your money) This would be the best future ever i have some other ideas where your mobile device would be connected to your computer via internet and basically the mobile device would serve as a user interface device and all the real processing would be happening in your home on your desktop computer but current bandwidth limitations stop this from happening but it might happen in 7 to 8 years yaaaaaay
I didn't like or have money for gaming on a PC nor do I like carrying it everywhere.

If the second thing happens, we might get onlive handheld, maybe call "onthego".
tongue.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
machomuu said:

The "lot of people" is shrinking every day. Sure, many may want SF643D, but nowadays, many others want to buy that fancy new iPod4 and buy AngryFruitNinjaBlockShakeThing on it.

You seem to know a lot about the people who are playing games, I assume you've got some sources?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Slyakin said:
machomuu said:

You seem to know a lot about the people who are playing games, I assume you've got some sources?
School. Trust me, you can get a LOT of data from the kids there.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
machomuu said:

I think that many others is what previously was the non-gamer, and thanks to the creation of mobile gaming they have broken out of their shells and as adapted to mobile gaming, while we as gamers otherwise play consoles and handhelds. I think of it as a sort of "Moth and Butterfly"-like scenario, they're the moths and we're the butterfly. Actually, they're more like Pupa right now.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever it is, it's certain that oen is getting weaker while the other is getting stronger. As to which is which, I think we've discussed that far enough...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would actually agree with the opinion of how Smartphones/iDevice will eventually overtake handheld consoles. If someone is going out than they will take phone which can also be used for media and games. And the games available are cheap, pick up and play stuff. I think its important to not overestimate the hardcore gamer, a lot of people are casual. They're happy playing Angry Birds, it provides for them a decent gaming experience.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Dedicated handhelds still have a good number of years left in them, if we ever see them go away. Nintendo dun good dropping price on the 3DS. The demand for games and system itself has exploded due to this. iPods are excellent music devices but it would be a very cruel world if that was all we had left. Na mean?

Well if its true that the other devices will eat Nintendo's lunch, by that logic I should have a rough time going to buy some LCD games at the store. The problem is I see them all the time and wonder "Who on earth would buy these steaming piles of $%^&" but some one must be buying them they occupy store shelf space.

The market for dedicated hand helds may shrink a bit but there will always be a market.

A major market will be little kids, I see parents giving a 5-10 year old a 3DS, I have a difficult time seeing any parents giving little Johny a $500 idevice... At least parents who understand that Johny will probably lose a few things until he gets older and spending half as much on a portable video game system is probably the wiser choice and can still keep the little bugger happy at Christmas time.

The other market is people like me who just like dedicated devices, I would rather keep my phone and games separate, I enjoy my smartphone but I enjoy it for things like GPS or checking the weather.Playing games I need buttons (might be just my age showing.)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that "500 dollar iDevice" can go as low as 200 dollars. That's only 30 dollars greater then the 3DS, and 50 dollars less then the Vita.

And with the economy... Who knows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ :creep: