Hacking Hardware Homebrew My Switch is acting weird after picofly install

NotVeryGoodAtThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This week, I hacked my 4y/o switch (patched v1) to my local technician using the picofly modchip. Once installed, i used the HATS pack to set everything up for cfw such as backups and emunand. For the first 2 days of using a modded switch, everything was working fine until the next day when I was playing pokemon sword, the console froze and I had to hold the power for 10+ seconds to force it to shut down.

When I tried to press the power button, the console wont boot. I tried holding it and fortunately It worked but I was greeted with an error message.

IMG_20230409_110608.jpg

I went to emmc info but it just displayed "failed to init emmc."

IMG_20230409_110625.jpg

I exited and opened the emmc info again and somehow it displayed the info but an error message popped up

IMG_20230409_110637.jpg

When I rebooted to hekate again, the error message doesn't appear anymore. I booted to emunand to test and it was working correctly. But I found out that whenever I power my switch on, sometimes i have to hold it to boot to hekate and other times, even when I hold it, hekate wont boot at all and the screen just lights up and doesn't display anything, when this happens, i press the power button once and try booting hekate again. But despite these errors and weird bugs, my switch is fine(?)

I played pokemon sword again and it froze the second time. I rebooted to hekate and gave the same error messages like last time.

IMG_20230409_115918.jpg
IMG_20230409_115935.jpg

This time I booted to sysnand and played my SSBU cart to test it and for some reason, the home button specifically doesnt work and suddenly gave me an atmosphere error message.

IMG_20230409_115950.jpg

I also tried to use the switch w/o an sd card and with a single press, the console booted. I tested it and so far, nothing happened. Idk if this is just an sd card problem but why does it give me emmc errors. Im so confused

IMG_20230409_120024.jpg

This is everything that I've gathered from my switch. If you know anything about these errors, why does it occur and how can you fix it?

Thanks so much!

Update: looks like my emmc is dead, loaded hekate and checked info and just gave me "failed to init emmc." I guess the only solution now is to replace the chip with a new one.

Update 2: Had it checked to my technician 3 days ago and luckily it was just poor installation on their end and on mine also (lel). No more errors and didn't have to buy a new emmc.

Last edited by NotVeryGoodAtThis,
Reactions: hellasleeper

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
All this errors are appearing while using your emuNAND on your microSD card or the real internal eMMC one?

Question: Does PicoFly get disabled after Switch boot or it keeps working while the Switch is being used?

NotVeryGoodAtThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Sound like your emmc is either dying, or the guy who did the installation bad, you would have to bring it back to them to check.

Thread 'emmc slower mode (200 MB/s) - hwfly V5'

Seem to be a common thing with SK Hynix emmc.

I had a feeling that this would be the case. But I hope it's just poor installation. Gonna have it checked to my technician again.
Post automatically merged:

All this errors are appearing while using your emuNAND on your microSD card or the real internal eMMC one?

The emmc error happened when I played pokemon on my emunand. The atmosphere one happened when I was playing smash on sysnand. Additionally, when booting stock fw, there's a chance that my switch will freeze again. With that, idk if it's just an sd card problem

Question: Does PicoFly get disabled after Switch boot or it keeps working while the Switch is being used?
Wdym by this question? The chip that is installed in the board itself? Sorry I'm not really good at stuff like this

Last edited by NotVeryGoodAtThis,

Magnus Hydra

It’s rare for me to be here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did the technician use resistors on the resistor nand points like you’re supposed to? Install pics? Anyone getting an install done should always be provided with install pictures.

NotVeryGoodAtThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
did the technician use resistors on the resistor nand points like you’re supposed to? Install pics? Anyone getting an install done should always be provided with install pictures.

Yes they did put resistors to the modchip. I made sure they installed it correctly (adding tape to the chip, apply new thermal paste to the cpu, etc.).

It seems like the emmc chip inside is dying just like what hayato213 said and I need to replace it.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes they did put resistors to the modchip. I made sure they installed it correctly (adding tape to the chip, apply new thermal paste to the cpu, etc.).

It seems like the emmc chip inside is dying just like what hayato213 said and I need to replace it.
I had this error message on my v1 patched erista with no resistors. As soon as I installed the 3 x 47 ohm resistors the message went away. Dump your nand and boot 0+1 then write it to another module. I would also take off backplate and alumi shield if needed to check to see if they actually did solder in the 3x47 ohms rez's.

NotVeryGoodAtThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I had this error message on my v1 patched erista with no resistors. As soon as I installed the 3 x 47 ohm resistors the message went away. Dump your nand and boot 0+1 then write it to another module. I would also take off backplate and alumi shield if needed to check to see if they actually did solder in the 3x47 ohms rez's.

I didn't see it for myself if they installed it properly, so I'll have it checked tomorrow to be 1000% sure.

If they did put those resistors and the switch is still bugging, then ill just buy a replacement emmc.

Btw, what emmc do you have? Sk hynix? Just curious

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see it for myself if they installed it properly, so I'll have it checked tomorrow to be 1000% sure.

If they did put those resistors and the switch is still bugging, then ill just buy a replacement emmc.

Btw, what emmc do you have? Sk hynix? Just curious
I have a bag of about 30 32gb modules of all brands as donors. On that switch it was samsung I believe.

Reactions: impeeza

NotVeryGoodAtThis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have a bag of about 30 32gb modules of all brands as donors. On that switch it was samsung I believe.

Lucky. From what I've read from other forum posts, the samsung one is more durable and long lasting than the sk hynix right?
Post automatically merged:

Hopelessly you have a working NAND backup, if not there is two tutorials here on GBATemp about to create new NANDs from donors.

I do have a backups like the boot 0/1 and rawnand. So when I do get my hands on a new emmc, it's just a simple swapping of chip and restoring the backup to the new emmc with hekate. Is that correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu