Gaming My saves are trapped on a "dead" harddrive.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sure, but what about my saves?

Three options I can think of:
1) Find a cable/adapter which has a contact long enough
2) hack some kind of connection e.g. solder a bridge
3) never done it myself and can depend on the drive but I've heard about getting a similar HDD and swapping the PCB.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
If the PC-side tool isn't able to dump the contents, there might not be anything you can do.
It's possible that you could solder on a new connector on the HDD, or even solder the pins directly to the adapter just as a temporary measure to get the data off it, I'm not sure how hard soldering on a new connector would be though, it might be really difficult.
I don't own a soldering iron, neither am i the smartest dude at soldering either. (trust me, i tried)

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
¨
The adapter itself is just an adapter, you can do whatever you want. I think that the harddrive haven't had the best of it's days.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wouldn't the clone become 320gb? (as big as the drive i copied TO?)
The usb stick i copied FROM is only 32GB. It would be a pretty big shame to loose all that data ;'(

you would have to clone all 320 gigs to another 320gb or larger drive. 1tb drives are like $50.
I know it works i tested it with a 256mb flash drive to a 2 gb flash drive. works well. I used acronis true image home version 11 on xp to do the clone....

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
you would have to clone all 320 gigs to another 320gb or larger drive. 1tb drives are like $50.
I know it works i tested it with a 256mb flash drive to a 2 gb flash drive. works well. I used acronis true image home version 11 on xp to do the clone....
I have other drives so it's fine. Just a shame i can't get it back to my flashdrive.

But another point kinda concerns me. When i plug the "dead" drive into my PC it doesn't show up in "File Explorer" (clever name MS) But when i go into disk management it says the drive isn't formatted already. But i think it might be cause the wii u put it into it's proprietary format so windows can't read it.

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I have other drives so it's fine. Just a shame i can't get it back to my flashdrive.

But another point kinda concerns me. When i plug the "dead" drive into my PC it doesn't show up in "File Explorer" (clever name MS) But when i go into disk management it says the drive isn't formatted already. But i think it might be cause the wii u put it into it's proprietary format so windows can't read it.
As I said before, if your PC detect it you can try to use wfsdump to extract the files from it.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
That's just because windows can't read the Wii U file system.

You have 2 options.
1) Buy new hard drive and lose all your saves
2) Fix the pin, buy new hard drive and keep your saves

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I said that i don't understand the commands for your program. So please give me the exact commands for dumping to a file called "dump" and putting the "dump" on a new harddrive.
It doesn't work like that. You can't move a dump from one hard disk to another, because if it has different number of sectors it won't work (because the way WFS works). You can only move the dump as is to another hard disk with the exact same sectors number. So I recommend something else, dump all the files from the hard disk with wfsdump, than get new hard disk, install all the games again and just restore the save files with the appropriate Homebrew.
Anyway, run this in admin console:
wfsdump --input \\.\PhysicalDrive3 --output dump_dir --otp otp.bin --seeprom seeprom.bin
For more information on admin console and finding the correct number of the disk read Option 1 here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-haxchi-pc-installer-for-5-5-2-with-seeprom-backup.479940/
Now you should have all the saves in dump_dir/use/save

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
It doesn't work like that. You can't move a dump from one hard disk to another, because if it has different number of sectors it won't work (because the way WFS works). You can only move the dump as is to another hard disk with the exact same sectors number. So I recommend something else, dump all the files from the hard disk with wfsdump, than get new hard disk, install all the games again and just restore the save files with the appropriate Homebrew.
wfsdump --input \\.\PhysicalDrive3 --output dump_dir --otp otp.bin --seeprom seeprom.bin
For more information on admin console and finding the correct number of the disk read Option 1 here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-haxchi-pc-installer-for-5-5-2-with-seeprom-backup.479940/
What the hell http://i.imgur.com/W4xCUmK.png

Disabled avast:
http://i.imgur.com/PXl4hwJ.png

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
Last edited by PotatisKnug,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm