Hacking My PS3 will no longer play physical PS1 / PS2 backups :(

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy all,

I decided to upgrade my PS3 from Cobra 4.30 (R.I.P) to Rogero / Cobra 4.46 when Cobra went open source a while back. Now when I was on the Cobra CFW with the dongle, I was able to burn PS1 and PS2 backups just fine using my LG DVD + Blu-Ray writer combo. After the upgrade, the backups would no longer show in the XMB games column, and would instead show as "Data disc" in any of the other columns (Pictures, Video, Music). My PS3 is a CECHA01 U.S launch model, and it will load original PS1 / PS2 games just fine, and even ISOs work fine with backup managers + Webman.

I have tried using 3 different burners, an internal LG DVD + CD Writer, an External LG BD + DVD + CD writer, and a Buffalo BD + DVD + CD writer. My old internal Blu-ray writer was sold off with my computer before I moved, so I cannot refer to that to test. I have also tried a mix of Vebratim and Memorex CD-Rs, and a few different types of Vebratim DVD-R discs, with mixed results.

Only once did I manage to get a burned PS2 game to show on my PS3, and then after I turned off the unit and turned it on the next day, the disc was no longer detected as a game. Going into MMCM or Gamesonic Manager will detect that I have a PS2 disc in my drive, but loading it will not make it show in the XMB. Kind of weird, but I can rip the disc into an ISO using MMCM which does work, so I know the data on the disc is fine.

Anyone else ever experienced issues like this? Any advice that I can be given? I am wanting to avoid using internal ISO loading for PS2 games mainly due to the lack of HDD space, and my HDD did crash recently and I lost alot of data.

Thanks

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about PS2 (never used those other than converting them to PS2 Classics, since my PS3 is a slim), but PSX burned discs should be loaded from Multiman, not the XMB. I'm on Rebug, though, not Rogero/Cobra, so maybe that makes a difference.

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah direct backup disc loading was a Cobra feature, so the newer Cobra based firmwares are capable of doing it, normally.

I can see the disc in Multiman and MultimanCM, but loading them doesn't even make them appear for me to boot from XMB, and I am not aware of a "direct boot" option that will just open it straight from Multiman.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What layout are you using in multiman? Go to the one that looks like the XMB, and navigate over to the games area and the PSX disc. Either just hit x and I think it should load or if not hit triangle and there should be some sort of option there that runs the backup straight from disc (I forget exactly what is says, load, play game, something of that sort).

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will double check, I think I am using the one that looks like XMB but has the columns at the top. I cannot check until morning since someone is at the TV.

I do not recall seeing this. There is a 'load' button, but it takes me back to the XMB but no game appears, just the 'data disk' in the non-game columns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2