Gaming My lite top screen is acting wierd again.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well yesterday when I opened my ds the top screen took about 5 sec after opening to start. I panicked a little but everything seemed fine after it opened but today when I opened the top screen became horribly messed that I can barely see anything except in full brightness. So here are some pics so you can see what I mean.

IMG_20110704_003230.jpg

IMG_20110704_003254.jpg

Now the ds hasnt suffered anything in the last few days or at least none that I am aware of so can anyone tell what is probably the reason for this weather its the screen broke or the ribbon got damaged or what.
As for my ds history it had its top screen break a year ago after my brother droped it a really strong drop forcing me to send it to a shop since I cant solider the speakers then the idiot broke the mic & antenna so I opened it last about 6 months ago and installed them myself which is the last time it was opened.
I really doubt that something I damaged last time would take that much time to show up but it is still might be possible so please tell me if I can fix it or do I need another screen.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Okay thanks I will open it tomorrow & try to put it probably. I didn't fit it perfectly last time but after the ds working well for a week I thought its okay to just leave it like that. Anyway really hope that will fix the problem. I dont want to wait 3 weeks to see how radiant historia will end.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I repair DS's and have seen this problem in the past. It is as said either a loose ribbon cable or a much simpler matter the screen's variable resistor's were tweaked by accident. Can you show me a pic of the start menu? (ds firmware)

Its easier to see if its a variable resistor problem against a white screen.

Does the top screen look similar to this?

DSC00304.jpg

And seeing as you opened it im nearly CERTIAN it might be a variable resistor issue cause it's easy to mistake those screws for the screws for taking apart the case.

The good thing is you dont need to open up your DS to access them. They are located in the battery housing.

Fix:

Open DS Lite Battery Cover

Towards the bottom of the DS you should see a hole with two screws those are the variable resistors

With a small phillips head screwdriver turn the one on the left either slowly clockwise or counter clockwise until your screen is back to normal. (the one on the right is for the bottom screen)

You can do this while your DS is on.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well I finally had some time to open it today & I tried removing & inserting the ribbon cable but still the same. Should I try cleaning it or what ?

@sergster1 My upper screen looks completely black except in full brightness there are some very weak splashed colors when you look at it from an angle. Also I cant remeber if I messed with it or no I think it would have appeared after a day or maybe a week not several months but if all fails I will give it a try.

Edit: Well after spending an hour cleaning the ribbon cable end and making sure it perfectly fitted I still got no result & everything is still the same. I closed the ds now since I got no idea what else to try & its dangerous to let myself handle any device when I am this mad so if anyone got another idea please tell me & I will do it in a few hours when I am calmer.

D

Deleted-236924

But if the ribbon cable wasn't connected properly, the machine shouldn't even start up.
Much less if it was damaged.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
sergster1 said:
Did you try adjusting the variable resistors? Im nearly certain its those.

Yup even though I knew that 99% its isnt the cause thanks to it after some adjustments the screen changed from nothing visible to horrible yet visible. Here is a pic after & the first post contain before:
IMG_20110712_233357.jpg

As you can see it's still bad but I can read everything & incase I fail to fix it the ds will still be usuable so thanks for that. Also as its obvious the resistors now aren't in their default position could that cause more damage? and any other ideas on what I should do?

QUOTE(Pingouin7 @ Jul 12 2011, 04:50 AM) But if the ribbon cable wasn't connected properly, the machine shouldn't even start up.
Much less if it was damaged.

Yeah I kinda knew that from the beginning just didn't want to believe as long as their is hope that something else is causing the damage but I think its the only logical answer left. The problem is I can't find any reason for that damage. The DS wasn't opened for over 6 months , have been always carried in a protective case & never fell anytime recently. Also when I opened the DS I couldn't see any signs of damage on the cable. No bents , scratches or anything of that kind. The only thing I could think of is the strong humidity . I was in a vacation when the problem happened near the sea & the humidity was very high & the ds is filled with many cracks so might have caused some water damage on the cable or something similar. I know its seems highly unlikely but I am a very curious person & if I have to accept the ribbon cable have been damaged the least I can do is figure what caused it. So I wonder is this scenario possible or should I reopen the ds & search again for any clues.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar issue with my friends top screen, the ribbon cable was worn through on the right most side. The area where it starts to roll/fold in the hinge area. Dust or dirt worked its way in there and became an abrasive on the cable. The top screen would work but sometimes fade in and out or turn black like yours.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Yeah I can't find any other reason other the ribbon cable damage. The screen spend a day or 2 losing connection but I thought that was because of my flashcart till it became permanent in this condition.Now I opened it again & also I couldn't find any big thing the connector part had a small rusty looking part & there are some scratches along the ribbon cable. Anyway I guess I will have to admit it that the ribbon is worn out & last time I checked there is no solution but to get a new top screen. In that case I will just put this ds aside & get me a new one as I already spent more than 55$ fixing it & I am not willing to spend another 25 for another top screen.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
AlanJohn said:
I don't want to say this but your DS screen is a faulty
frown.gif

Yeah as much as I hated to admit it this problem is 99% some unfixable problem somewhere in the screen or ribbon cable . This top screen was one that I had to pay 30$ for to a stupid guy who is the one who did most of the big scratches on the case , stole my mic & antenna & made the right speaker sound messed up
angry.gif
. Now if you tell me to look for someone else know that people who knows about the ds existence around here are very few & people who can fix it are parley found so there is only one repair shop in here that I know about that fix dses .So as I said I will just keep it here as a backup ds or give it to my little sis and buy me another new Ds lite or maybe even a Dsi Xl if I found one in a reasonable price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright