Hacking My backup games stopped working.

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently softmodded my Wii so I could create and play backups of some games I used to own before they were stolen (About 5 years ago), and these backups were working just fine. However, the next day, they didn't work at all. I've burned Mario Kart Wii and Super Paper Mario onto Memorax brand DVD-R's, and they previously loaded and were completely playable, however, they've stopped working sometime within the past 48 hours. When I try to load them (with Neogamma), they say that the game disc could not be read and that I should read the Wii operations manual for more information. I'd done nothing to the Wii, so this is very confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I also made a backup of Luigi's Mansion the same day, but that still works for some reason.

Last edited by Siglamii,

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a USB large enough to hold more than 1 game, and I'd rather not have to go out and buy one after already buying a 30 pack of DVD-R's, so I'd like to stick with those.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the problem with the dvds is that your laser will die eventually...
some consoles when using burned discs (specially cheap or bad quality) make the laser tired and it will die faster than it should
try to burn a new copy of the game, maybe it's damaged or the laser is not liking it...
if still doesn't work.. then most likely its the laser almost dead... you can try to clean it (can't say how exactly, because if it isn't done propertly it will damage it) but that would be the third thing..

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my laser is dead, would a gamecube game work? Because Luigi's Mansion still works, and I made it the same day.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
i can't say for sure, at beggining some games may work while others don't... but eventually it will get worse and you will notice it will stop playing almost anything...

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be completely honest when I say that I don't think it has anything to do with the laser. Is there anything that could be causing this other than a dying laser?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'll be completely honest when I say that I don't think it has anything to do with the laser. Is there anything that could be causing this other than a dying laser?
there is no other reason i think it would be logical... if you didn't changed anything on the software for the past 48 hours then it can't be that.. software doesn't magically stops working...

so it must be something happening on the console or discs... either the discs get damaged or got some water\dirty or something like that... (in this case you could just burn a new copy, and if it works then it was the disc...)
or the laser is dirty... or is "wear out" or some other reason...

try to unplug the console totally, wait a few minutes then try again... sometimes computers just need to be restarted...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your softmod setup? Also, it sounds like a dying laser to me as well. The Wii has a crappy laser, and user burned discs seem to cause them to wear out slightly faster. An USB HDD would be a long term solution that should last you quite a while, possibly your whole life if you get a high quality one that you take care of.

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My softmod setup shouldn't be different than anyone elses (for running backups). Perhaps it is just a dying laser? It's just confusing since gamecube games work just fine.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My softmod setup shouldn't be different than anyone elses (for running backups). Perhaps it is just a dying laser? It's just confusing since gamecube games work just fine.
Are the gamecube games burned as well? That's also why I asked about your softmod set up. It doesn't require a cIOS to run GameCube backups, but it does to run Wii backups.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
My softmod setup shouldn't be different than anyone elses (for running backups).

actually it isn't...
everyone uses hdd loading.. because your wii either got a modchip or is one of the very first models...
most wiis can't play a burned game without a modchip, even if you softmod it... (nintendo upgraded the drive..) and modchips\odde are really expensive and since usb storage is pretty much available.. the usual setup nowadays is usb loading...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually it isn't...
everyone uses hdd loading.. because your wii either got a modchip or is one of the very first models...
most wiis can't play a burned game without a modchip, even if you softmod it... (nintendo upgraded the drive..) and modchips\odde are really expensive and since usb storage is pretty much available.. the usual setup nowadays is usb loading...
Oh yeah, I forgot later Wiis needed a hardmod.

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my gamecube games are burned, as I said in the original post. And my Wii is softmodded, not hardmodded, so it must be an earlier one.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my gamecube games are burned, as I said in the original post. And my Wii is softmodded, not hardmodded, so it must be an earlier one.
Okay, so it might have to do with your softmod. At least post a SysCheck or something. Also, how do you have your gamecube games burned (end or beginning)?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is a SysCheck? How can I do it? What do you mean by "end or beginning"?
First link to pop up from a search for SysCheck under Google: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SysCheck
Since you don't know what I mean by beginning or end, they're probably burned at the beginning. That means the data is at the inner part of the disc. It takes more RPMs to read the same amount of data towards the center than towards the outside. So it may help with the weak laser theory, since it will be reading gamecube data slower, helping to make up for the weak laser. Wii games, on the other hand, start towards the outside.

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I check the results of the SysCheck? It puts a file in my root but I can't open it to read it? Or am I supposed to do something else entirely?

Siglamii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it says this:

sysCheck v1.6.2 by Erik Spyder

Region: NTSC-U
The system menu v513 is running under IOS58 (rev 6176)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 79508382
Boot2 v4
Found 109 titles
Found 49 IOS on this console
Found 6 IOS Stubs on this console

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, I forgot to mention... When I load up one of the backup Wii games, it doesn't immediately go to the "Disc cannot be read" screen. It loads up the health and safety stuff, then it'll go (in this case), to the "Hold the controller horizontally" screen in Super Paper Mario. Then it'll say that the disc couldn't be read. The same with all the other games, aside from the Gamecube games.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I just re-burned another copy of Super Paper Mario, and the Wii could read it perfectly fine. I have no idea why the new copy would work but the old one wouldn't, even though it's only 2 days older with no changes to the system

Last edited by Siglamii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.