Homebrew Moving the Homebrew Launcher from external HDD to system memory for CBHC

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Some years ago, when I first modded my Wii U, I installed the HB Channel on my external HDD, instead of the console's system memory (for whatever reason). I used Haxchi so I guess I must have installed the DS VC game onto the external hard drive.

Anyway, I want to do CBHC now but I'm not sure if I can just move the HB Channel from the external drive to the console's system memory via Data Management in Settings, just like I would any other game, or if I need to uninstall the Homebrew Channel and then move the DS VC game? Any help would be appreciated!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The installable/channel version of the HBL (which you can move freely) and the DS title being used for CBHC (which must be in internal storage) are two separate titles, therefore they're completely independent - in fact you don't need the former at all, although it's certainly nice to have :)

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The installable/channel version of the HBL (which you can move freely) and the DS title being used for CBHC (which must be in internal storage) are two separate titles, therefore they're completely independent - in fact you don't need the former at all, although it's certainly nice to have :)

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm doing something incredibly stupid, apparently. I modded my Wii U years ago following the hacking guide and I don't really remember anything lol. I was pretty sure that I had installed Haxchi over Brain Training, but I can neither find Haxchi, nor Brain Training DS on my system. Yet I have the HBL installed and I can play backups from my external HDD...

Sorry for the confusion, I am now trying to figure out how I modded the console so I can figure out a way to do CBHC.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
can you run the HBL channel immediately after turning on the console? if no, you don't have CBHC and you should unplug the external drive, cleanly redownload the DS game, install Haxchi to it (testing whether it runs with and without external storage connected), unplugging it again, then installing CBHC over it :)

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I just moved the HBL from the external drive to system memory, disconnected the external HDD, rebooted the console, and the HBL works just fine. However, I am absolutely positive that I don't have CBHC installed, as I need to run a CFW (Mocha in my case) from the Homebrew Launcher when I want to play an eShop title.

Let me summarize my situation for easier reading.

• I have a modded Wii U and can run backups just fine. However, if I want to play eShop titles, I have to run a CFW from HBL first (Mocha in my case).
  • I want to do CBHC but I'm not sure what happened to Haxchi on my system (which I can almost swear I had installed). I can't find Haxchi in the HBL or anywhere else. Brain Training is also missing.
  • At this point, I'm not entirely sure how I modded my Wii U, as I did this years ago and haven't been keeping up with the scene. I just want to launch CFW on boot.
Sorry for the confusion, I hope this post clears up some of it. As I said, I'm a bit of a noob here :/

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The HBL is its separate channel on the home screen, no browser involved. It was initially on the external HDD but I moved it onto the system memory.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's fairly curious - as an unsigned title you wouldn't be able to run it without signature patches!
Could it be Haxchi with an appropriate button mapping and custom icon? (the size displayed in the official settings would be a tipoff)

I would suggest to remove it, reboot the console without external drive, and proceed (temporarily using the browser version of the HBL) to install Haxchi then CBHC as on a clean console (ie as summarised above)...

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it is any help, pressing the Home button in the HBL returns me to Mii Maker (though I think that's normal?) Also, I just remembered that I used to use the 'Brazilian Method' (I think it was called) back in 2016, so maybe that has to do something with it.

Also, could you tell me more about the custom icon size and what I should be looking for in settings in order to determine if it's a custom icon?

Other than that, are you recommending that I uninstall the Homebrew Launcher and then just follow the steps to installing Haxchi from the Wii U guide? Thanks for bearing with me!

UPDATE: I just checked the eShop for Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and apparently I've purchased the game. The page about the game says 'Purchased', but there is no 'Download' button. Does that mean that the console is detecting the game as installed? Could it be that the HBL is installed over the game?

dkbt.jpg

Last edited by Jjbochan11,
Reactions: jeannotte

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it is any help, pressing the Home button in the HBL returns me to Mii Maker (though I think that's normal?)
It's normal if you're using a method that runs the HBL by substituting on the fly the eecutable of Mii Maker - including all browser-based ones, the Haxchi/CBHC one, but definitely not the proper HBL 2.x channel :)

I used to use the 'Brazilian Method' (I think it was called)
The "brazilian exploit" refers to the discovery that clean disc backups are installable and usable without signature patches, it has nothing to do (directly) with the HBL and/or unsigned titles :)

Also, could you tell me more about the custom icon size and what I should be looking for in settings in order to determine if it's a custom icon?
It's been a while since I owned a WiiU, but the HBL channel should be less than 10 MB installed while Haxchi/CBHC, still including a DS game and emulator, would be bigger!

Other than that, are you recommending that I uninstall the Homebrew Launcher and then just follow the steps to installing Haxchi from the Wii U guide? Thanks for bearing with me!
Yep, I may not be a fan of that site (or for that matter any "guide" that doesn't promote learning what you're doing and why) but it is competently written nowadays (unlike in its early days when it was written by someone who didn't even own a WiiU!)

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's been a while since I owned a WiiU, but the HBL channel should be less than 10 MB installed while Haxchi/CBHC, still including a DS game and emulator, would be bigger!

A-ha! The HBL was listed as being around 90MB. Does that mean that it is somehow installed over the DS VC game, or am I grossly misunderstanding?

Reactions: jeannotte

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A-ha! The HBL was listed as being around 90MB. Does that mean that it is somehow installed over the DS VC game, or am I grossly misunderstanding?
Try running it with the SD not inserted, I bet you'll get "-3" written in the corner of the screen
If that's the case it's indeed Haxchi

Jjbochan11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try running it with the SD not inserted, I bet you'll get "-3" written in the corner of the screen
If that's the case it's indeed Haxchi
You are absolutely correct, "-3" appears in the upper left-hand corner of the screen! :) Thanks for sticking around and helping out!

I'll remove the HBL from settings and install Haxchi/CBHC as per the guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far